League Cup Draw

templeofsaints

I think the first gate has two turnstiles, one cash and one ST only. We arrived pretty much on kick off so we weren't exactly early, but still, if you're going to do vouchers everyone should be given the opportunity to get one!

One guy in front of me this morning wasn't very happy at not getting one, tried to prove he was there with a selfie he took at the hearts game... 

It will be a bit shit if people who go on a regular basis struggle to get a ticket, because we didn't get a voucher to allow us to buy one after ST holders and the general sale tickets are all bought up by folk who haven't been to see Saints since the Cup Final. And that isn't a dig at our overseas/England based fans. I mean Perthshire based band wagon jumpers, who went to Parkhead and haven't even been to a car boot sale at McDiarmid since, never mind a game. Ok, rant over !!! :laugh:

I hit quote by mistake, please ignore the above as I can't get rid of it!

We went in the furthest away turnstile in the East Stand and the lad there handed us a voucher and explained it was for the Hearts game, which was just as well otherwise I probably would have binned it as it said nothing about what it was for on it.

thats really poor if folk were at the Hearts game and didn't get one.  You'd think turnstile operators that had run out would have contacted a supervisor to get them more?

Did Saints mention anything in the press before the Hearts game about the vouchers?  I didn't hear anything.  If they had then people would have known to ask for one.

Surely part of giving out vouchers is also to entice a bigger crowd along to an ordinary league game.  If you don't announce it beforehand then isn't it a bit of a wasted opportunity? ....

One guy in front of me this morning wasn't very happy at not getting one, tried to prove he was there with a selfie he took at the hearts game... 

it's shocking that our fans are having to beg steal and borrow to get tickets for a stadium that holds the best part of 18000. In no way am I suggesting a 50/50 split but it has been handled poorly by saints.

It will probably transpire that we don't sell them all anyway and end up returning some to Hibs but if we had been given a fairer share in the first place, we wouldn't have this sour taste being left in people mouths. Why should we be having to scramble around for vouchers, finding a friend who is a season ticket holder and ask them to buy a tickets etc etc. We are the premier league team here!!

We should have been awarded 5000 tickets, let there been a free for all for season ticket holders, handed everyone paying at the game for Hearts game a voucher and offered anyone who is on the database from the cup final.

Whatever we didn't sell, we would graciously hand back to Hibs and let their fans scramble over the remaining 500-600 for the main stand. 

it's shocking that our fans are having to beg steal and borrow to get tickets for a stadium that holds the best part of 18000. In no way am I suggesting a 50/50 split but it has been handled poorly by saints.

It will probably transpire that we don't sell them all anyway and end up returning some to Hibs but if we had been given a fairer share in the first place, we wouldn't have this sour taste being left in people mouths. Why should we be having to scramble around for vouchers, finding a friend who is a season ticket holder and ask them to buy a tickets etc etc. We are the premier league team here!!

We should have been awarded 5000 tickets, let there been a free for all for season ticket holders, handed everyone paying at the game for Hearts game a voucher and offered anyone who is on the database from the cup final.

Whatever we didn't sell, we would graciously hand back to Hibs and let their fans scramble over the remaining 500-600 for the main stand. 

I actually think we've got enough tickets at the 4,000 or so we've been given.

I doubt we'd have had an issue if we'd just given ST holders first dibs to get as many as they want. The chances of every single ST holder needing 3 tickets would have been absolutely minimal. Especially given most ST holders will be going with other ST holders!

It will be a bit shit if people who go on a regular basis struggle to get a ticket, because we didn't get a voucher to allow us to buy one after ST holders and the general sale tickets are all bought up by folk who haven't been to see Saints since the Cup Final. And that isn't a dig at our overseas/England based fans. I mean Perthshire based band wagon jumpers, who went to Parkhead and haven't even been to a car boot sale at McDiarmid since, never mind a game. Ok, rant over !!! :laugh:

As someone who only attends occasionally (perhaps a little more often than your example though!), but admires those who turn up week in week out, I agree totally with you, and thought the ST - voucher - general sale idea was very fair. They seemed to have cocked it up royally though.

I actually think we've got enough

Hmmm. Maybe in years gone by it would be enough but this is our first semi final since winning the Scottish, we are currently on a good run sitting 4th in league, fair weather fans want to see this semi final. A winnable tie. I know I would be eager if I wasn't getting along to games regularly. Should have been allocated more and sold in a manner we can return

Edited by Dave H

It's probably hard for Saints to predict our support, as our last two semi-finals v aberdeen were 3500 or under.  Though the difference now is people have a bit more belief that we can get through from this stage.

last season our average home attendance was 4590.  Hibs was 10120.  For this game we have around 4000 including the extra main stand seats, so we have less than our average home attendance, while Hibs have around 3500 more than their average home crowds.

Surely the best thing to do is to start high, e.g. 5000 as said a few posts ago, and hand back tickets for the floating Hibs fans to snap up, rather than risk selling out and leaving your own support disappointed.

but we often get this kind of panic before a big game and it usually works out alright .... hopefully it will be a fuss over nothing and everyone gets one no bother.

It would have been fair if everyone attending the game got a voucher, and then first come first serve until they ran out. No one getting a voucher would have seen that as a guarantee. They can guarantee ST holders because their total number is well below the allocation. Saints do seem to get a lot of little admin planning things wrong that a firm hand at supervisory/ junior management level would sort out. All the more annoying because they get so many of the big things right. But, at the end of the day, I'd be surprised if anyone who wanted to go didn't get. We can't make it, but don't feel too guilty, as we were amongst the (relatively) few who turned up for the Ibrox cup semi, which in many ways was better than the final. Semis are desperate games to lose. Is it on normal tele?

we have less than our average home attendance, while Hibs have around 3500 more than their average home crowds.

Surely the best thing to do is to start high, e.g. 5000 as said a few posts ago, and hand back tickets for the floating Hibs fans to snap up, rather than risk selling out and leaving your own support disappointed.

but we often get this kind of panic before a big game and it usually works out alright .... hopefully it will be a fuss over nothing and everyone gets one no bother.

Agree with your first part!

My only issue is why are we happy that it will work out "alright". Some poor bloke has hiked all the way up to the stadium, basically begged for a ticket and had to show photos of himself at the Hearts match to try and get a ticket for a match in an 18000 seater stadium involving St Johnstone and Hibs. It's a joke!

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

As someone who only attends occasionally (perhaps a little more often than your example though!), but admires those who turn up week in week out, I agree totally with you, and thought the ST - voucher - general sale idea was very fair. They seemed to have cocked it up royally though.

Don't you think that system is a bit outdated for a Premier League level football club who have had quite a lot of big, high-demand matches over the last four or five years? A proper supporters database with a loyalty points system is surely long overdue. There could be fans out there who have attended most of this season's matches and couldn't make the Hearts game, while others could have secured a voucher by only going to one match. Time to get rid of all this faffing about with paper vouchers and introduce a system that is fair on everyone, rewards the most regular fans and doesn't involve having to trek up to the stadium or post bits of paper back and forth.

Edited by blueheaven

Don't you think that system is a bit outdated for a Premier League level football club who have had loads of big, high-demand matches over the last four or five years? A proper supporters database with a loyalty points system is surely long overdue. There could be fans out there who have attended most of this season's matches and couldn't make the Hearts game, while others could have secured a voucher by only going to one match. Time to get rid of all this faffing about with paper vouchers and introduce a system that is fair on everyone, rewards the most regular fans and doesn't involve having to trek up to the stadium or post bits of paper back and forth.

Would that involve ticketing away games though? To make it easy to count the points

I'm in the general sale after the Killi game on Saturday category as I don't have a season ticket and I work every other weekend so didn't get to the Hearts game to claim a voucher.Do I feel hard done by,a wee bit,it's hard not to as whenever I'm off I go to games.What I would say is that despite getting a bit nervy on occasions as this about ticket availability I have never not been able to get one and don't know of anyone not attending such a game due to lack of briefs.I would also like to say that a supporters data base held by the club would eleviate some ansietey.Its looking precarious if the game on Saturday will go ahead so it may just be the case that I phone for a ticket.