Saints v Partick Thistle 29/10/16

The ghost of Jim Morton

Results like this and Killie really just confirm that we are never likely to challenge for these top positions in the league. Not really a criticism but we will always be a couple of quality players short of maintaining a high league challenge over a whole season. Onwards to Tynie.....

Doesn't help when the manager drops your two best players from the previous game and plays two central midfielders who absolutely shit themselves in the opponents half. 

A horrible line up today

Not sure why Alston was dropped but the formation was poor. Too narrow with Swanson in behind the strikers and left us with no width to get crosses in for Cummins. Also missed Millar to match the runs of edwards who just ran through us at will. Neither central defender handles Azeez either, who looked excellent. 

Not often I leave before full time but that was shite today. A terrible game, more hoofball than football. WTF is the manager doing with team selection? Cummings can get to ****. I am more of a footballer than he is. I am not happy.. not because we lost, but because of the manner of that loss. Too much negative stuff today, too many sideways passes, too many misplaced passes and not nearly enough passion for me. The manager for me has to take most of the blame though with his starting 11. If Chris Millar is fit he should be on the park, if not he should NOT be on the bench. WTF did Alston not start?? Me thinks that TW sets his team up thinking far too much about the opposition rather than letting them worry about us. I could rant all ****ing night about that display but I am told it aint good for my heart so I will leave it at that...

Manager post match interview bingo...  I will go for... Didn't deserve to lose.  Very Unlucky. Penalty not given. Character. Nothing in it.

I would like to hear.   Poor decision making. Poor team selection by me. To ponderous on the ball. Not nearly hard working enough. Got what we deserved...

First half was so-so, second we were dugshite poor.

Blair Alston finally gets going, has his best game for us so far by a mile and his confidence must be sky high.  So he's dropped to the bench.

Chris Kane also put in a good shift midweek.  And we drop the pair of them for Spoony and Cummins who have both been badly out of form.  (Great skill by Spoony for our goal though).

Chris Millar also was very good, but maybe him dropped is understandable with his injury record.  

We're not good enough to mess around with squad rotation, our best team at the time should start every game.

Liam Craig as our shoe-in starting central midfielder is bizarre.  Another average at best performance capped off by selling the game in the last minute.

Paul Paton had an okay first half but started to annoy me in the second with his love of a big loopy cross-field switch of play which bounces up and puts a team mate under pressure.  The ball doesn't have to go sideways or backwards every single time; all he does is put pressure on others to play it forwards from a worse position, so it looks like he isn't the one giving the ball away.

Well done Thistle, good week for them. Any other bottom six dross fancy 3 points?? Get yourselves along to McDiarmid, we're absolutely giving them away.

Absolutely hellish. Why were we set up so defensively?  Paton and Craig hardly crossed the halfway line all game. And we are absolutely desperate for a goalscorer. How bad are Coulson and Gormley that they can't get into this team? Even Danny and Spoony had an off day so we were left with no midfield at all to support our powder puff front line.

Every time we get the chance to put ourselves in a position to consolidate ourselves near the top of the league we find a way to bottle it.

Time to call in a psychologist? Or maybe just show some balls. 

Good goal though.

That falls squarely at the managers door! Hideous midfield selection, sat and watched them play for 90 mins sat so deep it was practically an 8 man defence. 

Absolutely no plan b! Fairly obvious Paton was contributing nothing along with spoon and Craig yet the first sub as always is one of the front two. Even then after spending 80 mins being totally dominated in midfield every sub like for like. 

As much as I am raging at the complete bottle job I have just witnessed, I can't say I am in any way surprised. From the lack of boos at the end I don't think I'm alone. 

Killie and that today is utterly criminal! 

First half was so-so, second we were dugshite poor.

Blair Alston finally gets going, has his best game for us so far by a mile and his confidence must be sky high.  So he's dropped to the bench.

Chris Kane also put in a good shift midweek.  And we drop the pair of them for Spoony and Cummins who have both been badly out of form.  (Great skill by Spoony for our goal though).

Chris Millar also was very good, but maybe him dropped is understandable with his injury record.  

We're not good enough to mess around with squad rotation, our best team at the time should start every game.

Liam Craig as our shoe-in starting central midfielder is bizarre.  Another average at best performance capped off by selling the game in the last minute.

Paul Paton had an okay first half but started to annoy me in the second with his love of a big loopy cross-field switch of play which bounces up and puts a team mate under pressure.  The ball doesn't have to go sideways or backwards every single time; all he does is put pressure on others to play it forwards from a worse position, so it looks like he isn't the one giving the ball away.

Well done Thistle, good week for them. Any other bottom six dross fancy 3 points?? Get yourselves along to McDiarmid, we're absolutely giving them away.

Pretty accurate assessment thought Craig was very average at best today

I think that Thistle side looked very good compared to their league position. They are disciplined and we're quite fluent in changing between 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 depending on whether they were defending or attacking. The lad Edwards was a stand-out on the park for me, as soon as they pushed him further forward in the second half our central midfield struggled. The big black lad they had upfront was also a total handful and we were lucky the quality of his final pass/finish isn't great as we could of found ourselves really hurt by him.

As for us, that's what happens when you play a central midfield pairing of Craig and Paton. I thought Paton had a good first half- but was a huge part to play in our midfield becoming very scrappy. Craig had a big part to play in both the goals we conceded and overall I thought he was weak. Cummins was dreadful today and if it hadn't been for his fantastic assist Weatherspoon would of been in the "did nowt camp".

I'm going to assume Alston and Millar weren't fully fit for the game, because if not I can't really see what Tommy was thinking.

When Edwards moved forward into the hole and Erskine came on it was clear to me the game was crying out for Millar to come into the centre of the park and shore us up, but I think we didn't react to their changes. I also don't think it's a good idea to take off your most creative player who can score goals out of nothing- off the pitch (even if he has been poor) when your sides struggling to create anything of note.

Dissapointing team selection and a real lack of quality. 

Anyone any idea why Ando started a slanging match with a fan after the final whistle? 

Probably because some home truths were being told to him about the state of that team performance. 

If Tommy hadn't practically run up the tunnel the second the whistle went he would of had the same from me. 

I'm very rarely that angry but yes my head is completely gone! 

Edited by Shaggy Jenkins

Very frustrating day. Shocking performance. Baffled that Alston would be dropped after his midweek performance.

Paton was excellent imo. Always found a team mate. Great passing. Apart from the goal Macca and Wotherspoon were dreadful. Cummins has regressed badly after his early showings last season.

:sad: