Royal Wedding and Saints

south inch

Way back in 1960 Princess Margaret was to be married and it was to be shown on TV.  The ladies in my office were all of a tizzy asking for time off to watch but no dice said the boss.  The usual spate of suspicious sickies was avoided when Saints drew 1 - 1 with Dunfermline in the cup at East End Park.  The replay at Muirton was an afternoon game, there being no floodlights, and most of the male staff wished to attend.  The ladies came up with a solution, they would staff the office on the day of the replay if the men would repay the favour on the day of the royal wedding.

Agreement was reached in a flash and everyone was happy.  The ladies came out on the plus side though, Saints were awful and lost 4 - 1.

If the Royal Wedding was pay per view, say at the rate of two SPL tickets per household, I do wonder how many would watch this British Nationalist farce. I might actually watch some of it, if only to see Prince Phillip’s face as a “spear-chucker” (one of the least offensive things he has called black folk) is welcomed into the Firm. 

Way back in the day, I actually persuaded my company to give folk half a day off when Scotland played during the day at a World Cup finals. This was a policy that fell into disuse around late 1998.......

3 hours ago, south inch said:

Way back in 1960 Princess Margaret was to be married and it was to be shown on TV.  The ladies in my office were all of a tizzy asking for time off to watch but no dice said the boss.  The usual spate of suspicious sickies was avoided when Saints drew 1 - 1 with Dunfermline in the cup at East End Park.  The replay at Muirton was an afternoon game, there being no floodlights, and most of the male staff wished to attend.  The ladies came up with a solution, they would staff the office on the day of the replay if the men would repay the favour on the day of the royal wedding.

Agreement was reached in a flash and everyone was happy.  The ladies came out on the plus side though, Saints were awful and lost 4 - 1.

braw 

Its all gone bananas here in Australia. Coverage starts at 4pm, then wedding starts at 7.30 pm. All free to air. Thankfully we have a ceilidh that starts at 7.45pm, so wont be subjected to too much. Mrs is an addict. I just want to see Markles cleavage. Harry's definitely batting above his league with her. Absolute stunner. Anywaaay back to Saints...

Edited by Melbourne Saint

3 hours ago, Bev Callard said:

Oh bore off Jeremy. It's a funny story not an invite to the wedding. Don't be like sleepless and start dictating what can be posted.

as I recall I didn't try to dictate what can be posted, I asked politely that people weren't rude in their responses. But I'm glad to know I've made a lasting impression on you.

Good story, south inch, thanks.

Stone me, as the more discerning of you have noted, it was just a wee story about what it was like following Saints in the days before floodlights.  Spare a thought for those of us who went to all that trouble to watch an abject 4 - 1 defeat but at least we got our reward 54 years later on the glorious 17th of May!