St. Johnstone V Ross County- Sunday 29th

SaintJet

No failures today, decent performance all round. Holt was outstanding for me, Gordon solid again and Kennedy had bad luck in front of goal but created loads. Drey Wright was a joy to watch for most of the game but tends to drift inside a lot.

Undefeated in five this month so we must remain positive.

Just now, cristo said:

No failures today, decent performance all round. Holt was outstanding for me, Gordon solid again and Kennedy had bad luck in front of goal but created loads. Drey Wright was a joy to watch for most of the game but tends to drift inside a lot.

Undefeated in five this month so we must remain positive.

I thought Holt and Davidson were fantastic. Not used to seeing Muzz play so well with the ball on the deck. 

some of the quick passing and control from the entire midfield today was a joy to watch. 

6 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

I thought Holt and Davidson were fantastic. Not used to seeing Muzz play so well with the ball on the deck. 

some of the quick passing and control from the entire midfield today was a joy to watch. 

You're right, and McCann played a huge part in that as well. None of the middle three are frightened of a tackle and the passing was indeed a joy. 

My only criticism would be that playing all three of them means we're sacrificing the second striker. The gap between Kane and the midfield at times in the first half was frightening. 

If these three could weigh in with a few goals between them......

Any scouts in the padded seats watching Kennedy?  Seemed he wanted to be more involved than some other games lately, notably StMirren where he was out of sorts.

It's disappointing to take a point, but at least we did. Reckon earlier in season we'd have lost that game.  Just demonstrates the good effort by all in the last month to lift us from bottom.  Last 2 home games being draws verse teams beside us isnt particularly good, thankfully offset with 2 wins on the road.  Home record is abysmal, wonder if any half season tickets were bought by anyone?

1 hour ago, Dave H said:

Any scouts in the padded seats watching Kennedy?  Seemed he wanted to be more involved than some other games lately, notably StMirren where he was out of sorts.

It's disappointing to take a point, but at least we did. Reckon earlier in season we'd have lost that game.  Just demonstrates the good effort by all in the last month to lift us from bottom.  Last 2 home games being draws verse teams beside us isnt particularly good, thankfully offset with 2 wins on the road.  Home record is abysmal, wonder if any half season tickets were bought by anyone?

Are you suggesting Kennedy only bothers if he thinks there are scouts watching him?  Because if you are that's pathetic.  Matty tries his heart out every time I see him.  Fair enough some games he will be better than others - that's football - but to ever accuse him of not trying is scandalous.  Even at Forfar in one of the worst performance from Saints in many years, he was probably the only one to get pass marks.

As for yesterday's game, we should have won and with a half decent ref we would have won.

33 minutes ago, jhq said:

Are you suggesting Kennedy only bothers if he thinks there are scouts watching him?  Because if you are that's pathetic.  Matty tries his heart out every time I see him.  Fair enough some games he will be better than others - that's football - but to ever accuse him of not trying is scandalous.  Even at Forfar in one of the worst performance from Saints in many years, he was probably the only one to get pass marks.

As for yesterday's game, we should have won and with a half decent ref we would have won.

Agreed. Away to St Mirren, when the rest of the team was hiding, and he was getting absolute pelters from the home crowd, he still kept taking the ball on and trying to make something happen.

I'm fairly sure it played in his mind when we played them just there as he seemed desperate to make an impact. 

I really enjoyed that game. Can't remember seeing a Saints team dominate a Premier League match that much in a long time. Some of our football was terrific to watch - very quick and inventive. It's just a shame there was no real focal point for a lot of the attacks with Kane on his own up front, but I have some sympathy for Tommy in playing it because I don't think we'd have played that well if we'd sacrificed one of our midfield three.

Love the way we play with wingers now - I thought Wright and Kennedy were both superb, and O'Halloran made a big impact when he came on too. Just frustrating that they didn't have much to aim for until Hendry came on.

One thing I felt was that, with Ralston and Booth at full-back instead of Foster and Tanser, we're less effective at overlapping now and I think the loss of Foster's assists has been a real blow this season. I also sensed a bit of frustration from MOH that Ralston's decision-making in making his runs forward wasn't the best.

Still, fantastic performance - hard to believe we only got a point and nearly didn't even get that. Really pleased to see Saints playing with the spirit of old and with a bit of a spring in their step though.

I still reckon we could end up sneaking top 6.

43 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I really enjoyed that game. Can't remember seeing a Saints team dominate a Premier League match that much in a long time. Some of our football was terrific to watch - very quick and inventive. It's just a shame there was no real focal point for a lot of the attacks with Kane on his own up front, but I have some sympathy for Tommy in playing it because I don't think we'd have played that well if we'd sacrificed one of our midfield three.

Love the way we play with wingers now - I thought Wright and Kennedy were both superb, and O'Halloran made a big impact when he came on too. Just frustrating that they didn't have much to aim for until Hendry came on.

One thing I felt was that, with Ralston and Booth at full-back instead of Foster and Tanser, we're less effective at overlapping now and I think the loss of Foster's assists has been a real blow this season. I also sensed a bit of frustration from MOH that Ralston's decision-making in making his runs forward wasn't the best.

Still, fantastic performance - hard to believe we only got a point and nearly didn't even get that. Really pleased to see Saints playing with the spirit of old and with a bit of a spring in their step though.

I still reckon we could end up sneaking top 6.

We need  a hall and Connolly  to compliment our wingers

4 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Kennedy's problem is he tries too hard at times. You saw it in injury time when he takes on that shot rather than looking for a pass. He wants to take on responsibility. 

He can look jaded late in some games as he runs out of steam but that's different from not being interested. 

I’ve said this before, and I know people disagree. If he got his head up sometimes and looked for the pass, he’d be an outstanding player, but too often he runs himself into the corner. Still the most creative player we have though.

4 hours ago, jhq said:

Are you suggesting Kennedy only bothers if he thinks there are scouts watching him?  Because if you are that's pathetic.  Matty tries his heart out every time I see him.  Fair enough some games he will be better than others - that's football - but to ever accuse him of not trying is scandalous. 

Not at all. Just hot or cold, more cold this season.  You've made up your own argument in simple comment that one of his better performances coincidentally comes at a time when there is transfer speculation.  Not sure how you come to suggest he doesnt try, now thats loopy, certainly not mentioned by me.  Every player tries their best, you see them all gassed at full time.

Wish he'd been more on his game and that goes to many of the players taking the piss for 3 months and we'd not be in the state we are.  Playing for a transfer to further your career, now that's worth playing better..

1 hour ago, Dave H said:

Not at all. Just hot or cold, more cold this season.  You've made up your own argument in simple comment that one of his better performances coincidentally comes at a time when there is transfer speculation.  Not sure how you come to suggest he doesnt try, now thats loopy, certainly not mentioned by me.  Every player tries their best, you see them all gassed at full time.

Wish he'd been more on his game and that goes to many of the players taking the piss for 3 months and we'd not be in the state we are.  Playing for a transfer to further your career, now that's worth playing better..

So they all try their best and are "gassed at full time "  but many of them have been "taking the piss for 3 months"? How does that make any sense?

And I'm not the one suggesting Kennedy doesn't try - you are, as you have done again in your last sentence. 

2 minutes ago, jhq said:

So they all try their best and are "gassed at full time "  but many of them have been "taking the piss for 3 months"? How does that make any sense?

And I'm not the one suggesting Kennedy doesn't try - you are, as you have done again in your last sentence. 

Please tell me where i said he didnt try?  Youre making it up in your head. Otherwise forget it.  I didnt question that.   What grasp of the game do you have as trying is completely different to being good or on form.  Plenty of effort but utter dross is what we've seen for best part of the season.   Kennedy has not lived up to expectations this season, has his best game when the contract is in the paper, scouts looking on.   He is our best player by far and was more involved v Ross County than many many other games.  Coincidene to you ok, for me I think he's offski.

7 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Kennedy's problem is he tries too hard at times. You saw it in injury time when he takes on that shot rather than looking for a pass. He wants to take on responsibility. 

Probably because he had already seen Stevie May play a pass back to their keeper on a precious attack. 

1 hour ago, Dave H said:

Please tell me where i said he didnt try?  Youre making it up in your head. Otherwise forget it.  I didnt question that.   What grasp of the game do you have as trying is completely different to being good or on form.  Plenty of effort but utter dross is what we've seen for best part of the season.   Kennedy has not lived up to expectations this season, has his best game when the contract is in the paper, scouts looking on.   He is our best player by far and was more involved v Ross County than many many other games.  Coincidene to you ok, for me I think he's offski.

You've continually suggested (including in quoted post) that Kennedy is trying harder when he thinks there's a scout watching him.  "Has his best game when the contract is in the paper"  That's YOUR quote.  To me that's suggesting he tried harder v County than he has in other games. 

40 minutes ago, jhq said:

You've continually suggested (including in quoted post) that Kennedy is trying harder when he thinks there's a scout watching him.  "Has his best game when the contract is in the paper"  That's YOUR quote.  To me that's suggesting he tried harder v County than he has in other games. 

There you go just sums it up.   'To me' 

Fckin hell your hard work today. It's clear you have no clue what involvement means.  1 sentence and your fixated on it and youve got the wrong end if the stick and wont drop it.  Let it go.

You had thought I was saying he wasn't trying?  Now your saying he's trying harder.   Eh?   

Edited by Dave H

26 minutes ago, Santodelnorte said:

Nobody else think Saints got the shaft when the ref hauled back the quickly taken indirect free kick? Laws of the game say attacking team doesn't have to wait for ref if he's not booking anyone so goal should have stood. I think he bottled it having given a rarely seen six second infraction.

Ref shafted us on a few occasions on Sunday. Can't list them but I am sure someone can.