Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

32 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

Good. He is a workhorse and provider these days.

His work rate was exceptional yesterday & loks like he has got some of his pace back. He looks like his knee is not on his mind now. We just need him to rediscover his scoring form .

4 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

Stevie May signs 2 year deal

Glad at this. He now looks fully fit and while the goals are not there as much as before, I think he is by far a better all round player. Much more intelligent play and hold up etc. Start of last season I looked like he was trying too hard and coming out wide etc. This season he looks much better. Oddly, he seems to be more like Macca was that what May was before he left. Maybe the influence of the coaching.

I'm a little surprised he has signed if I'm honest. Not because I dont think he is worthy of a new contract or anything like that, he definitely is, but part of me thought he might be frustrated at the lack of starts and goals. He doesnt give much away, but clearly he is very happy. 

Aa a general point, what an example to any youngsters at the club looking to make the first team. Thry must look up and see Clark, Kerr, Gordon (sort of), Kane, May and McCann all coming through the system and winning trophies and think that could be them. May and McCann getting full international caps so far too and (maybe not at saints) but you wouldn't put it past Kerr, Gordon and Clark to get capped too. 

3 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Glad at this. He now looks fully fit and while the goals are not there as much as before, I think he is by far a better all round player. Much more intelligent play and hold up etc. Start of last season I looked like he was trying too hard and coming out wide etc. This season he looks much better. Oddly, he seems to be more like Macca was that what May was before he left. Maybe the influence of the coaching.

I'm a little surprised he has signed if I'm honest. Not because I dont think he is worthy of a new contract or anything like that, he definitely is, but part of me thought he might be frustrated at the lack of starts and goals. He doesnt give much away, but clearly he is very happy. 

Aa a general point, what an example to any youngsters at the club looking to make the first team. Thry must look up and see Clark, Kerr, Gordon (sort of), Kane, May and McCann all coming through the system and winning trophies and think that could be them. May and McCann getting full international caps so far too and (maybe not at saints) but you wouldn't put it past Kerr, Gordon and Clark to get capped too. 

I think it’s probably too late for any bar Clark as waterboy for Saints players to make the Euro squad now. However, come the inevitable post-Euro shake-up, especially if we get tanked, surely to God 2 or 3 will be looked at?

Delighted to get May signed up. He's played a huge part in our success this season and even though he's not the exciting goalscorer he was, I actually think in many ways he's a better player than he was in his first spell here. I get the impression we've given up on trying to revert him to the prolific striker he once was, and instead we're concentrating on getting the best out of the player he now is. For me his link-up play is better than that of any of our other strikers, and his work rate is bloody exceptional.

Not sure why only one year for Booth. I can understand 1 year for the likes of Gilmour who has still to prove himself but we know what Booth can do & we will be in the same situation next season trying to resign players.

It could of course be that they don't want to give contract for more than one season incase of relegation.

8 hours ago, Cagey said:

Not sure why only one year for Booth. I can understand 1 year for the likes of Gilmour who has still to prove himself but we know what Booth can do & we will be in the same situation next season trying to resign players.

It could of course be that they don't want to give contract for more than one season incase of relegation.

Contracts are a two way affair - he may only want a one year contract. We have been a one year offering for the majority of older players for a while now.

41 minutes ago, Brian Potter said:

His move to Chelsea is now in doubt.

Keep up, Chelsea was back In November, the week before it was Rangers and Celtic and two weeks before it was Sunderland. 

I think the next story Clive feeds to the media will be Cirencester Town. 

I've no issue at all if Scott Tanser wants to return to England, understand that completely, but his agent is not representing his client in the best way possible with all these made up "Football Insider" stories. 

At least with Saints, players will know they will get game time. Saints have a small squad so players get rotated. If any of our players move on they could end up on the bench every week albeit on more money. I would think we will keep most of our squad intact for next season.

2 hours ago, Salguodinmethven. said:

O halloran a target for St.Mirren  apparently. Would like to think we can keep hold of him personally. Not had to much game time this season though so who knows. But it's the sun that's saying it so pinch of salt etc... 

Interesting its come out just after we drew them in the cup. Goodwin trying some early mind games to unsettle Saints?

2 hours ago, Salguodinmethven. said:

O halloran a target for St.Mirren  apparently. Would like to think we can keep hold of him personally. Not had to much game time this season though so who knows. But it's the sun that's saying it so pinch of salt etc... 

12 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Interesting its come out just after we drew them in the cup. Goodwin trying some early mind games to unsettle Saints?

Seem to remember this happening a few times prior to playing St.Mirren in past years.. Starts on P&B as a joke then some lazy journo goes with it..

Surprised they didn't make Guy the fake target, that'd make Davidson super fake worried.. :roll:

There was a rumour going around that Goodwin tried to get him on loan in January when he was not in the team (He still is not a starting player). If he wanted him then then why not for free. Is there a starting place in our team for him: he is a winger and now do not play with wingers.

But as you said it may all be mind games

Fair bit of contract news today:

St Mirren could raid Scottish Cup semi-final opponents St Johnstone to sign winger Michael O'Halloran, with the 30-year-old out of contract this summer. (Scottish Sun)

Former Scotland midfielder Craig Bryson says talks have stalled on a new deal at St Johnstone, but the 34-year-old would like to stay on for another season. (Daily Record)

St Johnstone manager Callum Davidson has revealed that Scott Tanser may have played his last game for the Perth club as the left-back is likely to sit out the rest of the season through injury and with talks about a new contract having stalled since an offer was received from the club in January. (The Herald)

I'd have thought there are probably 4 or 5 teams in the division who would be willing to take a chance on O'Halloran as long as he wasn't asking for silly money. Everyone's seen how effective he can be if you can get him playing to his best. So I can't imagine he'll be short of offers. I think he's the sort of player who really needs to be starting games every week and be a main focal point of the team in order to produce his best, though. And as he goes past 30 years old his pace isn't going to be what it was.