Kelty Hearts vs St Johnstone - 22/01/22

Pat McGroin

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

The BBC were claiming he should've been sent off for a stamp on someone, but I've absolutely no idea what incident they're on about.

Did he not have a 50/50 at one point not too far from the dugouts where the other guy came off worse. Only thing that I can think of. 

I think what's really telling about yesterday is that absolutely no one is surprised.

Kelty beat us in exactly the same way every other team has beat us. Soak up our slow, ponderous attempts at getting forward, bide your time, wait for your chance, and then hit us on the break when the opportunity comes. We used to be the team in the division that no one wanted to play against. We're now the easiest team to play against, because we're so slow and predictable with every attack and as soon as we concede a goal we're defeated. Even Kelty, a part-time team three divisions below us, looked more pacy, creative and incisive going forward than we do. How is that even possible?

Personally I feel all the talk of changing the formation is a bit of a red herring. It's not the formation that is losing us games. It's the way we play that is the problem and no switch of formation is going to fix that. That said, what I don't understand is, in the second half of a game like yesterday's when we have the bulk of possession and most of the play is in the opposition half, what is the point of having three central defenders all hanging back? Surely we could have sacrificed one of those three players to get an extra attacking player onto the pitch? 

Also - I don't mind defenders passing the ball around between themselves and waiting for an opening. That's fine. But when that opening never comes, those defenders just end up punting a high diagonal ball forward and it achieves nothing. There is no plan for how to get forward, no plan for how to score a goal. The players get the ball at the back and they have no clue what to do with it. I don't know what they do in training but this should have been fixed by now. At the very least, something different should have been tried. The fact that we're still doing the same things over and over again when it's not working is clearly a coaching issue. And I find it impossible to see the approach in the Dundee game being any different.

17 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I think what's really telling about yesterday is that absolutely no one is surprised.

Kelty beat us in exactly the same way every other team has beat us. Soak up our slow, ponderous attempts at getting forward, bide your time, wait for your chance, and then hit us on the break when the opportunity comes. We used to be the team in the division that no one wanted to play against. We're now the easiest team to play against, because we're so slow and predictable with every attack and as soon as we concede a goal we're defeated. Even Kelty, a part-time team three divisions below us, looked more pacy, creative and incisive going forward than we do. How is that even possible?

Personally I feel all the talk of changing the formation is a bit of a red herring. It's not the formation that is losing us games. It's the way we play that is the problem and no switch of formation is going to fix that. That said, what I don't understand is, in the second half of a game like yesterday's when we have the bulk of possession and most of the play is in the opposition half, what is the point of having three central defenders all hanging back? Surely we could have sacrificed one of those three players to get an extra attacking player onto the pitch? 

Also - I don't mind defenders passing the ball around between themselves and waiting for an opening. That's fine. But when that opening never comes, those defenders just end up punting a high diagonal ball forward and it achieves nothing. There is no plan for how to get forward, no plan for how to score a goal. The players get the ball at the back and they have no clue what to do with it. I don't know what they do in training but this should have been fixed by now. At the very least, something different should have been tried. The fact that we're still doing the same things over and over again when it's not working is clearly a coaching issue. And I find it impossible to see the approach in the Dundee game being any different.

Can’t argue with that .it’s been obvious all season to me. Well spotted .

40 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

A lot of teams pass the ball across the back but as you say until they see an opening or holding midfielder takes over . We pass it back and forward til we get closed down then launch a long diagonal to wingback who struggles to control it.

43 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

This.   Even when the defenders were squaring the ball there was no option in midfield to act as an outlet - before you would have Craig dropping back to pick up the ball and give us more of an option to distribute the ball forward. Thats gone and we resort to the long ball and Gordon/McCart aren't the best at finding a blue shirt going forward.

10 minutes ago, Rob said:

The slow ponderous build up to attempts on goal has been for several seasons now. Last time we played a more attacking way was when we had Drey Wright/ Matty Kennedy but even then we didnt really have the finishing threat.

That was the only time we seen Hendry at his best as well 

side note both the players you mentioned left us for more money to sit on a bench whilst their careers nosedived . Something out our control 

Edited by Evansabove

11 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

This.   Even when the defenders were squaring the ball there was no option in midfield to act as an outlet - before you would have Craig dropping back to pick up the ball and give us more of an option to distribute the ball forward. Thats gone and we resort to the long ball and Gordon/McCart aren't the best at finding a blue shirt going forward.

Butterfield was doing the Craig role, tbf.

Issue as I saw it was the CBs would get the ball, the WBs would push high, then Gilmour/Crawford would push high to support the WBs, and we'd have no way of moving up the park beyond a punt. When we did have the CMs trying to play and link we generally looked a far better side.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Butterfield was doing the Craig role, tbf.

Issue as I saw it was the CBs would get the ball, the WBs would push high, then Gilmour/Crawford would push high to support the WBs, and we'd have no way of moving up the park beyond a punt. When we did have the CMs trying to play and link we generally looked a far better side.

Butterfield should have been picking up the ball to lay off to the faster Gilmour or more forward Crawford. But the defence wouldnt pass to him or if they did he was too easily closed down. Hes got plenty of vision etc but I think he's being caught out too easily in possession - whether thats an age thing or just adapting to Scottish football I'm not sure. 

37 minutes ago, Evansabove said:

That was the only time we seen Hendry at his best as well 

side note both the players you mentioned left us for more money to sit on a bench whilst their careers nosedived . Something out our control 

Agree with Hendry playing well for us then. There was talk on the radio of Hendry maybe being recalled as he was left out of Killie side yesterday. Not sure if that will happen to be honest.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Will Gallagher play for us again , last man played ball against Kelty player. Ball breaks to Kelty player in the clear with no one near him.

To be fair to Gallagher, the reason he ended up in bother was Liam Gordon’s decision to pass the ball all the way back when we are on the attack and on the edge of the opposition penalty area with all of our attackers in the box. Stupid! Negative! Pish!

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

3 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I cannae get that there’s dudes  shouting abuse whilst dudes are applauding then there’s dudes patting players backs.

I also now know how I was waiting ages to get out of that shithole of a ground.

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

Will Gallagher play for us again , last man played ball against Kelty player. Ball breaks to Kelty player in the clear with no one near him.

Mikey let’s the scorer run past him in their half, then ball watches, young guy made a mistake, but that sums up why Mikey isn’t a wb, 

34 minutes ago, dave mc said:

Mikey let’s the scorer run past him in their half, then ball watches, young guy made a mistake, but that sums up why Mikey isn’t a wb, 

He got subbed off after just being on for 5 mins was it an injury. From where I was I didn't see half the game.

On 1/23/2022 at 12:29 AM, RandomGuy said:

Don't think its fair to blame fans for that reaction tbh. 10 game winless run, 120 minutes of half arsed football then they just chucked it after conceding. Its a recurring theme now too that all fight leaves us after we concede.

Our fans have given plenty of support to the players and manager this season but you can't expect them to do that indefinitely if the players/manager aren't earning it. They've been burning through the goodwill last season bought them and maybe today will make them realise its no longer relevant, all that matters is how they perform this year.

Come out against Dundee on Wednesday with some fight and the fans will respond to that. Earn the support.

Players don't play for the fans..... it's the greatest misconception going. They play for a pay packet, and if you wave another £5000 in front of them you'll see a different effort. 

Zander Clark losing his sheet at the end, he's a prime candidate.... off to Aberdeen, and eye on his summer holidays.....in January!

Some others waiting in the wings for a potential coaching job if/when Callum gets shitcanned.

Footballers are really not as virtuous as fans.....

5 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Players don't play for the fans..... it's the greatest misconception going. They play for a pay packet, and if you wave another £5000 in front of them you'll see a different effort. 

Zander Clark losing his sheet at the end, he's a prime candidate.... off to Aberdeen, and eye on his summer holidays.....in January!

Some others waiting in the wings for a potential coaching job if/when Callum gets shitcanned.

By far our best player and the least of our worries - think Zander is literally the only person at the club that DOESN'T deserve some abuse.

6 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Apart from the obvious exceptions Muzz,Liam and maybe a couple of others but not many player’s at the club get it like the support do.It’s easy in the wide open spaces of Mcdiarmid park to give the sympathetic applause to the crowd after another defeat then slope off up the tunnel.The look on many of the players as they started to exit the pitch on Saturday was one of “shit we’re not getting away with it today,”okay some of the name calling was OTT but most of what was being communicated was hard to argue against,I would hope the honest truths continued in the dressing room,where ever that was?Theres nobody more appreciative than me for what the team achieved last season but there is only so long you can live on past results,hope the players use the crowd reaction on Saturday in a we’ll show them way and not take the huff like the snowflakes I fear some may be.

7 hours ago, MySpazz said:

I think it's one helluva leap of logic to suggest Zander has stopped trying because he conceded one goal.

10 minutes ago, Saline Saint said:

Apart from the obvious exceptions Muzz,Liam and maybe a couple of others but not many player’s at the club get it like the support do.It’s easy in the wide open spaces of Mcdiarmid park to give the sympathetic applause to the crowd after another defeat then slope off up the tunnel.The look on many of the players as they started to exit the pitch on Saturday was one of “shit we’re not getting away with it today,”okay some of the name calling was OTT but most of what was being communicated was hard to argue against,I would hope the honest truths continued in the dressing room,where ever that was?Theres nobody more appreciative than me for what the team achieved last season but there is only so long you can live on past results,hope the players use the crowd reaction on Saturday in a we’ll show them way and not take the huff like the snowflakes I fear some may be.

When so many of our squad are either new arrivals, temporary fixes, players at the ends of their contracts or players who probably know they're about to be replaced, it's hardly surprising that we don't have a team of guys who "get it". It's not exactly conducive to a great team spirit.

That said, I really don't think what's happening is about lack of effort. To me it's far more about lack of direction, lack of organisation, lack of plan and lack of leadership. The buck for all of that has to stop with the manager.