The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

12 hours ago, mainstand said:

Think they said they would be playing friendlies, going by the teams they have played they seem to be looking at the east of scotland leagues

I have a nagging feeling that Saints have tried this approach in the past and it didn't really work out. Maybe I'm misremembering and someone can correct me, but I think that when Lomas was here, and continuing into the Tommy Wright (with Davidson as his assistant) era we went through a spell of signing quite a few youngsters who had been released by English clubs, and saying they'd be given game time in friendlies (which I'm not sure ever materialised?). We signed guys like Bradley Fortnam-Tomlinson, Marcus Maddison, Wade Joyce? Scott Brown coming from Bradford was possibly part of that strategy too but I think was the only one who did much in the first team.

From watching the friendly against Jeanfield Swifts, our development squad has quite a few very young, small players who are basically still children. I wonder if there's a feeling that we don't currently have enough older/stronger players to make up a squad that could compete in the reserve league? I'm not sure what the under-age rules are in the new reserve league, if any (I just had a look but couldn't find any info on it, predictably).

(P.S. I just Googled Wade Joyce and he's now head of UK scouting for Schalke 04!)

So CD now saying they are looking far and wide for a new striker including Europe. Firstly this confirms we have no one in our sights and secondly if he turns to Europe the player will sit on the bench for six months as ‘he is not ready for the Scottish game’!! 

13 minutes ago, Gas Monkey said:

So CD now saying they are looking far and wide for a new striker including Europe. Firstly this confirms we have no one in our sights and secondly if he turns to Europe the player will sit on the bench for six months as ‘he is not ready for the Scottish game’!! 

Why has it taken so long to find one, bloody half the Australian A league seems to have signed for SPL clubs it seems this window, yet we can’t find a striker whether on loan or a signed contract?

7 hours ago, mainstand said:

Express saying we are still after a west ham goalie on loan. 

Read that earlier, but *think* he was one of the names linked before Matthews joined so potentially just confused? Does mention Matthews in the article, right enough

On 7/22/2022 at 2:04 PM, rik2304 said:

Clark and Mannus weren't great either for distribution.

Just watched Shamrock Rovers highlights in Europe. Mannus made some great saves. Didn't know he was still playing. Must be about 40 odd by now.

No sign of Cleary as far as I could see.

32 minutes ago, saintee in exile said:

Sounds just the ticket and could bring some bite and energy in midfield

Seems to be a done deal, 2 years!

Where does that leave David Wotherspoon, Ali Crawford, Charlie Gilmour, Murray Davidson, Max Kucheriavyi and Cammy Ballantyne?

Gilmour released, Kucheriavyi and Ballantyne out on loan?

Assuming Charlie, Max and Cammy do leave, how do you keep Hallberg, MacPherson, Phillips, Davidson, Wotherspoon and Crawford happy? If you have 3 of those on the bench, that is some serious dough, week in week out not starting matches.

6 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Where does that leave David Wotherspoon, Ali Crawford, Charlie Gilmour, Murray Davidson, Max Kucheriavyi and Cammy Ballantyne?

Assuming Charlie, Max and Cammy do leave, how do you keep Hallberg, MacPherson, Phillips, Davidson, Wotherspoon and Crawford happy? If you have 3 of those on the bench, that is some serious dough, week in week out not starting matches.

Hallberg should be a nailed on starter, probably Phillips as well. Spoony is still hopefully a big part of Davidson's plans. Bench Muzz and ICNGAF about MacPherson and Crawfraud.

I’m probably in the minority, but my opinion on MacPherson is beginning to change a little. Of course helped by the little quality we actually have in terms of ball playing midfielders. He was fine on Saturday and would be intrigued to see how he gets on with somebody beside him that gives a little more defensively than Hallberg but is more mobile than Davidson

48 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Haven't seen Phillips play but from what I've read about him I'd expect him to be challenging for the positions generally taken up by Muzz and MacPherson (and increasingly Hallberg). Don't think he'll be competing so much with Max/Crawford/Ballantyne as they usually play further forward. Not sure about Spoony as I have a feeling he might drop back to a deeper role in midfield as he gets older.

Gilmour hasn't even made the bench in the last few games so I wouldn't be all that surprised if he departs soon. Would think we might see Ballantyne, Taylor Steven and maybe also Max go out on loan before the window closes.

Slightly off-subject but I can't help but wonder if we might see MOH depart in this window too.

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

I’m probably in the minority, but my opinion on MacPherson is beginning to change a little. Of course helped by the little quality we actually have in terms of ball playing midfielders. He was fine on Saturday and would be intrigued to see how he gets on with somebody beside him that gives a little more defensively than Hallberg but is more mobile than Davidson

I like MacPherson. Think he's a really promising young player who shows a great attitude on the pitch. If he'd come through our own youth system instead of St Mirren's, and he hadn't arrived when McCann departed, I don't think he'd have had anywhere near as much criticism from our support.

13 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I like MacPherson. Think he's a really promising young player who shows a great attitude on the pitch. If he'd come through our own youth system instead of St Mirren's, and he hadn't arrived when McCann departed, I don't think he'd have had anywhere near as much criticism from our support.

Bang on. Maybe tries the World Cup ball a bit too often, so there’s definite lessons to be learned in that regard, but important to remember he’s only 23. There’s a few that hide but he’s not one

46 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

He is not short of confidence and comfortable on the ball.

Agree about St Mirren bit plus the fiasco with Goodwin conning a fee for a player he had no plans for.