St Johnstone vs Celtic - Saturday 8th October 2022

Widge

3 minutes ago, Brian Potter said:

Think that’s a bit harsh on Wright. He looked pretty injured. Crawford had the chance to make the foul and take the yellow but chose to try and stare out the opposition as he always does. 

Agree about Crawford, if that's any other player we retain the ball.

Just now, Broggy Man said:

I agree no attacking threat till we went two up top

It was so obvious. Last season, we were all over the place defensively but we are not now. That back 3 is very decent. 

The amount of times we gave them possession in the first half was insane, or cleared the ball 25 yards from goal to a Celtic player. 

We got lucky there, but the difference when May came on was evident, I’m genuinely sick to leave that with nothing, and I’m certain every one of those boys on the park will be feeling the same 

7 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

I haven’t felt this sick after a game of football since I left Hampden half an hour in when Motherwell were beating us 3-0. And to lose to a knock… sick 

we should have set up the way we played second half. 

I feel sick just remembering that Hampden game. Might actually be the worst match I ever attended. Deep depression!

Celtic/Rangers matches..... you get cheated, that's it.

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

We showed very little ambition or attacking intent until the subs came on and we moved to two up front. Quite predictable really. Sickening end to the match.

Nonesense. We were seconds from a 1-1 victory. It was a sucker punch

3 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

We showed very little ambition or attacking intent until the subs came on and we moved to two up front. Quite predictable really. Sickening end to the match.

Disagree. I think we had a game plan and it was working, despite not being great to watch. 

For me, that game plan should have lasted 30 mins tops, before we switched to the second half style. You can’t hang on for that long and we got lucky for a bit. 

But hell… we lost due to Drey taking a knock. No more, no less 

6 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Big argument on Radio Scotland wae Biscuits , English and I think Leanne Crichton, biscuits and English saying instead o running 50 and 60 yards celebrating a goal, defence should have been back in position and celebrate at the final whistle, lassie said no celebrate the goals, who's right ??

This is an easy one... Certainly not Crichton who immediately lost any and all respect I could have for her as a pundit by saying if we held for 1-1 it'd be our biggest result in 6 years...............

Went unchallenged.

The plan almost worked. Stay in the game until the last 15 mins and then go a bit more for it.

Slightly lucky to still be in it by then but certainly asked questions of Celtic and deserved the goal. Late goal a bit of a sickener, but really with that little time left, we should be able to defend that much much better.

Surprised Crawford came on and not Wotherspoon given his need for game time. Thought Max did well in the time he was given.

We really need to improve our passing. First half in particular was just punting the ball anywhere...no one taking the ball and taking the time to find a pass to a team mate.

6 hours ago, Cagey said:

Davidson will have them sitting back and give Celtic shooting practice.

At least it was only for 75 mins. We showed in the last 15 mins we can play football ,we can pass a ball and we can score. If only Davidson would let them.

To lose in the 6th minute of 5 minutes injury time is a sickened. Unfortunately that extra minute was for the ref allowing their player to tie his laces. Is that in the rules ?.

First and unfortunately foremost at the end of the day we cannot say that the final result was a true reflection of how the game went.

However......

Giakoumakis (a weegie Ryan Porteous) had at least 3 dives which were worthy of yellow cards so therefore should not have been on the park to score. True, the resultant fouls never came to anything  but he should not have been there. 

I don’t think in all my football watching life except when Kane (the evil one) scored at  Hampden have I gone from such a high to such a low in the space of 2 minutes.

ps my apologies again to the people in “Tilly’s Bar” in Torremelinos for my justifiable outburst of emotion when we scored.

ps...again if we play like that all season we will be closer to top 6 than relegation.

ps.......again, for any of my friends who have any allegiance to Celtic it is results like that, that win championships.

I am now going to go and getter pushed ......COYS

2 minutes ago, Cagey said:

At least it was only for 75 mins. We showed in the last 15 mins we can play football ,we can pass a ball and we can score. If only Davidson would let them.

To lose in the 6th minute of 5 minutes injury time is a sickened. Unfortunately that extra minute was for the ref allowing their player to tie his laces. Is that in the rules ?.

Even Paki said that's no in the rules

30 minutes ago, tucker said:

Drey Wright twisted ankle Callum Davidson just said but happy we look like we are going to score a goal or two now

Noticed during the warm ups when they were practicing shooting,Wright seemed to feel his leg. He then walked away and went over to take a drink and never took part in any warm up after that. Was surprised when he started but he had a decent game but was caught in possession a few times when a pass was on. Crawford more to blame for being brushed off the ball for the second goal .I think it probably should have been Wright and not Brown that was subbed.

36 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I did notice that during the game but forgot about it ..................

So, can I now change my previous comment to we wuz robbed by a totally incompetent referee.

Gutted to lose that. Thought we'd done enough in the 2nd half. Some excellent performances today  - Mitchell outstanding. Thought wee Max did ok as well. May look like he's got his hunger back again. Was really unlucky with the shot that hit the post.

Hallberg was more of a worry he was well off the pace for most of the game and didn't look fit

Should have seen that out at 1-1. Had plenty of opportunity to shut down the attack and just didn't deal with it. The fact Saints came so close to getting a point shows you what a different side we have this season. It's maybe partly because Celtic not at their best just now but the game plan worked and was impressed Saints actually went for it in the last 10-15 mins.

6 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Disagree. I think we had a game plan and it was working, despite not being great to watch. 

For me, that game plan should have lasted 30 mins tops, before we switched to the second half style. You can’t hang on for that long and we got lucky for a bit. 

But hell… we lost due to Drey taking a knock. No more, no less 

I agree that the lack of attacking intent in the first-half was our gameplan and it worked for a while, yes. I think my post has maybe been misconstrued. I haven't said that it was a wholly bad decision to go with that gameplan. Ultimately I was pleased with the second-half and gutted for the team in the closing minutes. 

Edited by The Real Saints