VAR

OldPoster

9 minutes ago, Broggy Man said:

Collums fook up today I’ve no doubt will be picked up by the compliance officer no consolation for saints but anything that makes collum look stupid is happy days

Saints will not appeal red card so nothing for the compliance officer to rule on.

VAR 

Is a abomination to Scottish football as we and every football fan witnessed today..

How can VAR and the referees get it so wrong?

As you know it was never a penalty

Never a sending off

Jack,terrible tackle but no red?

Why????

Truthfully 

Honestly 

Scottish football is corrupt from top to bottom...

Evidence??

TODAY!!

10 hours ago, Cagey said:

Even with the decisions that went against us the last couple of seasons I didn't want VAR.

VAR though is not the problem it is referees like Collum and Walsh who between ,whether as match ref or VAR ref have been involved in most of the contentious decisions.

The other problem that has been evident since var started elsewhere is the handball rule is not fit for purpose.

Aye that handball rule is an utter shambles. In terms of what it states, Collum probably called that right yesterday but not in a million years should that be a penalty. 

Just to go over old ground, if Nicky Clark’s is a red yesterday then Ryan Jack’s is too. I don’t think they should be, but if you give one then you need to give the other - I’ll let the conspiracy theorists run wild as to why that wasn’t the case. The fact Collum didn’t even go to the screen for Clark’s challenge add insult to injury. 

With regard to the new interpretation of ball/hand/arm contact, I can only assume that the old 'deliberate

handball' rule was adjusted because of players being seen/interpreted as using their arms 'in an 

unnatural position' to interfere with the flight of the ball.  We now have a situation - eg Brown on Saturday -

being penalised for a ball being deflected onto his arm with little prospect of him avoiding it.  Whatever you think of the interpretation, the punishment - a free shot from 12 yards - is well out of proportion to the 'offence'.

The sequence of events for the red were quite strange and not my understanding of how VAR should work. Was it the referees decision because the big screen seem to suggest it was a VAR decision. Little consolation that the appeal was won other than Clark being allowed to play tonight.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

The sequence of events for the red were quite strange and not my understanding of how VAR should work. Was it the referees decision because the big screen seem to suggest it was a VAR decision. Little consolation that the appeal was won other than Clark being allowed to play tonight.

Yeah the only beneficiaries were the rangers. Surprise surprise. 

• 1 month later...

VAR not had a good day today. A few contentious decisions in our game. A couple of debatable off side decisions in Motherwell game but the worst was in United game where Main made the most outrageous dive and got a penalty instead of a booking. How the ref gave it is ridiculous but for VAR not to overturn it is outrageous.

• 2 months later...

VAR saved County yesterday.

First the penalty claim by Partick where the the County guy blocked/tripped Partick player on edge of box . Ref didn't give it but var suggested he looked at but he stayed with his original decision. I was unsure if right or wrong but went with the ref. If Partick got the pen and scored it was game over.

Second ,Watson sent off by ref but var asked him to look again as they thought he wasnt last man and ref changed decision. Correct in my opinion.

Third ,penelty claim by County for hand ball not given but var asked ref to look at it and eventually gave a pen to Partick for hand ball against Graham. Correct result by today's rules but would want us  getting back to penelties for Deliberate Hand Ball only.

I think County had a few raw deals with VAR this season so maybe things do even each other out over the season.

6 minutes ago, Cagey said:

VAR saved County yesterday.

First the penalty claim by Partick where the the County guy blocked/tripped Partick player on edge of box . Ref didn't give it but var suggested he looked at but he stayed with his original decision. I was unsure if right or wrong but went with the ref. If Partick got the pen and scored it was game over.

Second ,Watson sent off by ref but var asked him to look again as they thought he wasnt last man and ref changed decision. Correct in my opinion.

Third ,penelty claim by County for hand ball not given but var asked ref to look at it and eventually gave a pen to Partick for hand ball against Graham. Correct result by today's rules but would want us  getting back to penelties for Deliberate Hand Ball only.

I think County had a few raw deals with VAR this season so maybe things do even each other out over the season.

VAR didn't save County though, as a competent referee gets all of the on field decisions correct anyway, it's not like there was anything overly contentious. The narrative that VAR saved County will be played for a long time and whilst yes without it they lose the game (so in that regards it's saved them), all it's done is once again shown that the officials we have in the Scottish game are not good enough and left unchecked make multiple mistakes a game that define seasons. 

The fact that VAR even intervened on the first incident is mental, it's not a clear an obvious error and the referee got it right, since it's not a foul. It's yet another example of VAR getting involved when they don't need to and I think the VAR referees are very quick to try and take centre stage which is at the detriment to the games.

• 3 months later...
On 1/28/2023 at 8:58 PM, Cagey said:

Even with the decisions that went against us the last couple of seasons I didn't want VAR.

VAR though is not the problem it is referees like Collum and Walsh who between ,whether as match ref or VAR ref have been involved in most of the contentious decisions.

It is not VAR that is the problem, it is and always has been thr referees.

Those 2 points could be the 2 that relegate us.

BUT the cost of it on the top of fact it is not doing the job it was supposed to means we should dump it.

Look at the Liverpool game. Anyone without VAR , with naked eye could see it wasnt offside. Not VAR but VAR operative to blame.

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

It is not VAR that is the problem, it is and always has been thr referees.

Those 2 points could be the 2 that relegate us.

BUT the cost of it on the top of fact it is not doing the job it was supposed to means we should dump it.

Look at the Liverpool game. Anyone without VAR , with naked eye could see it wasnt offside. Not VAR but VAR operative to blame.

I think we've seen that you get the same number of disputable decisions with VAR as we did without it. It still comes down to human judgement and people are always going to disagree with those judgements. Referees making human errors has always been a part of the game and TBH I was fine with that.

All VAR has really succeeded in doing is slowing down the game, taking a lot of the joy out of goals being scored and added lengthy delays where everyone's standing around and doing nothing. It's a huge waste of time and money and should never have been introduced in the first place.

I'm so bored of every single episode of Sportscene and Match of the Day being swallowed up by these boring, pointless analyses of refereeing/VAR decisions.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I think we've seen that you get the same number of disputable decisions with VAR as we did without it. It still comes down to human judgement and people are always going to disagree with those judgements. Referees making human errors has always been a part of the game and TBH I was fine with that.

All VAR has really succeeded in doing is slowing down the game, taking a lot of the joy out of goals being scored and added lengthy delays where everyone's standing around and doing nothing. It's a huge waste of time and money and should never have been introduced in the first place.

I'm so bored of every single episode of Sportscene and Match of the Day being swallowed up by these boring, pointless analyses of refereeing/VAR decisions.

100%