St.Johnstone V Kilmarnock - Saturday 29th October

SaintJet

Don't always agree with Cagey but for Davidson to say that the aim was to hit the team below us in the league on the counter attack beggars belief. 

Yet again no thought to the entertainment of the fans. Result seems to be the bee all and end all. Yes, it is important but football is supposed to be entertaining. What is the point in investing in quality at the top end of the pitch when we have little or no intention in getting the ball into that area.  Yes, we have won of couple of games but it is still s*** to watch. 

As for continuing to play Brown at LWB when we have 2 natural left footed players on the bench; quite simply Why?

10 hours ago, yahoorsir said:

Don't always agree with Cagey but for Davidson to say that the aim was to hit the team below us in the league on the counter attack beggars belief. 

I think it's a particularly odd approach when we're playing against a McInnes team, who are always likely to be a bit stuffy and unadventurous away from home. They were never likely to come flying at us and have us camped in our own half. 

For me, Killie looked really poor and after we got the first goal we sort of missed an opportunity to be a bit more positive and make sure we killed them off when we had the momentum. At just 1-0 there was always that chance of them getting back into the game, and had it not been for a brilliant save from Remi and their defender's fortunate decision to foul May before their disallowed goal, we would have missed out.

Still, Davidson will quite rightly point to the fact that we got the three points, so it worked.

33 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I think it's a particularly odd approach when we're playing against a McInnes team, who are always likely to be a bit stuffy and unadventurous away from home. They were never likely to come flying at us and have us camped in our own half. 

For me, Killie looked really poor and after we got the first goal we sort of missed an opportunity to be a bit more positive and make sure we killed them off when we had the momentum. At just 1-0 there was always that chance of them getting back into the game, and had it not been for a brilliant save from Remi and their defender's fortunate decision to foul May before their disallowed goal, we would have missed out.

Still, Davidson will quite rightly point to the fact that we got the three points, so it worked.

I guess is it a half full or half empty pint looking at the game, if Stevie puts his header into the net at 2/0 it’s game over, but it just went wide so it left for a nervy finish.

Reading the comments everyone seems to be in agreement that we didn’t play that well but I guess the main thing is that we got the 3 points.

I guess last season our team wouldn’t of hung on and got the points so that’s a bonus, the league is quite poor and to think we are one point from the top 6 is something I would of taken after 13 games.

I thought we were decent to be honest. We maybe didn't push on and put Killie away but we had plenty of the game and the players looked comfortable on the ball. The defense looked pretty solid and plenty chat between them keeping each other on their toes.

Carey and Hallberg were excellent and what can you say about Steve May? Steve looks like being back to his best- he glides past players when he's on form and his workrate is brilliant. He should have scored a second though.

Spoony looked great when he came on and he'll be starting soon. 

3 hours ago, SaintJet said:

I thought we were decent to be honest. We maybe didn't push on and put Killie away but we had plenty of the game and the players looked comfortable on the ball. The defense looked pretty solid and plenty chat between them keeping each other on their toes.

Carey and Hallberg were excellent and what can you say about Steve May? Steve looks like being back to his best- he glides past players when he's on form and his workrate is brilliant. He should have scored a second though.

Spoony looked great when he came on and he'll be starting soon. 

I wish we'd work on our movement. There were quite a few occasions on Saturday where our midfield had the ball and were looking to play it forward, and everyone was standing still with the exception of May. It's such a simple thing and would make us far harder to play against.

Carey looks a technically excellent player but in terms of actual impact I think Spoony is streets ahead of him. If we're sticking with this system I'd like to see how we'd do with a midfield three of Spoony, Muzz and Hallberg, with Muzz throwing himself about, Spoony sitting back as a playmaker and Hallberg getting forward into the box.

Never made the game on Saturday, but delighted with the win and we are now only three points behind St Mirren who the media have been getting excited about this season. I appreciate many are still against Callum Davidson, but credit has to go to him for the way in which he has turned things around so far this season. When a club is as despondent as ours was last season it is very difficult to turn around its fortunes. I doubt many of us would have predicted at the start of the season that we would be seven points clear of the bottom of the table at this stage of the season. We also look to have a very good team spirit about us this year.

Not getting overly carried away though as there is evidently much room for improvements in terms of performance and overall attacking intent and it was good to hear Davidson acknowledge that after the game on Saturday as well.

A minimum of 4 points from the remaining 3 games would put us in a good position heading into the break.

2 hours ago, Aitchy said:

Never made the game on Saturday, but delighted with the win and we are now only three points behind St Mirren who the media have been getting excited about this season. I appreciate many are still against Callum Davidson, but credit has to go to him for the way in which he has turned things around so far this season. When a club is as despondent as ours was last season it is very difficult to turn around its fortunes. I doubt many of us would have predicted at the start of the season that we would be seven points clear of the bottom of the table at this stage of the season. We also look to have a very good team spirit about us this year.

Not getting overly carried away though as there is evidently much room for improvements in terms of performance and overall attacking intent and it was good to hear Davidson acknowledge that after the game on Saturday as well.

A minimum of 4 points from the remaining 3 games would put us in a good position heading into the break.

We are a wee bit better because we have a bigger squad with experienced players who can play to Davidson's system. Our league position, which isn't all that healthy is down to the league being full of average teams. OF money keeps them ahead of the rest. Results in Europe show how bad a league we are in.

I am not sure where you saw this attacking intent. The reason fans are annoyed is that there little attacking intent.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I wish we'd work on our movement. There were quite a few occasions on Saturday where our midfield had the ball and were looking to play it forward, and everyone was standing still with the exception of May. It's such a simple thing and would make us far harder to play against.

Carey looks a technically excellent player but in terms of actual impact I think Spoony is streets ahead of him. If we're sticking with this system I'd like to see how we'd do with a midfield three of Spoony, Muzz and Hallberg, with Muzz throwing himself about, Spoony sitting back as a playmaker and Hallberg getting forward into the box.

Agree with that. They are coached to stay behind the ball. Very little sign of movement when going forward.

When Spoony came on on Saturday I thought we looked a bit better and he was holding the ball to allow Wright to overlap.

Our wingbacks act as additional defenders rather than attackers. That's why he is playing a defensive right back at left wing back. I like Brown but he is not a wingback , especially a left wingback.

As long as May stays fit and retains his confidence we should be ok this season.

17 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Agree with that. They are coached to stay behind the ball. Very little sign of movement when going forward.

When Spoony came on on Saturday I thought we looked a bit better and he was holding the ball to allow Wright to overlap.

Our wingbacks act as additional defenders rather than attackers. That's why he is playing a defensive right back at left wing back. I like Brown but he is not a wingback , especially a left wingback.

As long as May stays fit and retains his confidence we should be ok this season.

Threre are a few on here who should be eating a large plate of crow pie; "May is finished", "May should be gone", "May wouldn't get a game for a 2nd division team" etc. etc. 

I'll be honest I didn't see this transformation in him, he's as sharp as he was when he was at his best. 

56 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Threre are a few on here who should be eating a large plate of crow pie; "May is finished", "May should be gone", "May wouldn't get a game for a 2nd division team" etc. etc. 

I'll be honest I didn't see this transformation in him, he's as sharp as he was when he was at his best. 

Some of those comments might have been from me :oops:..

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

We are a wee bit better because we have a bigger squad with experienced players who can play to Davidson's system. Our league position, which isn't all that healthy is down to the league being full of average teams. OF money keeps them ahead of the rest. Results in Europe show how bad a league we are in.

I am not sure where you saw this attacking intent. The reason fans are annoyed is that there little attacking intent.

Players who in the main he identified. He cant be blamed for the size of the squad, every manager always wants more players, the board set what budget is available.

I agree that the standard in the league is very poor. Not many fans in the league happy with their manager. Dundee United fans couldn't believe they were able to secure European football last season, most agree that they were dire for most of season.   

Think you are getting a bit confused regarding my statement on attacking intent. I said that there is "room for improvements in terms of performance and overall attacking intent."

1 hour ago, Aitchy said:

Players who in the main he identified. He cant be blamed for the size of the squad, every manager always wants more players, the board set what budget is available.

I agree that the standard in the league is very poor. Not many fans in the league happy with their manager. Dundee United fans couldn't believe they were able to secure European football last season, most agree that they were dire for most of season.   

Think you are getting a bit confused regarding my statement on attacking intent. I said that there is "room for improvements in terms of performance and overall attacking intent."

He can be blamed for building an unbalanced squad. 

2 hours ago, Aitchy said:

Sorry misread. Used to do that with exam questions all the time.

4 hours ago, SaintJet said:

I’m one of these. I thought May was done for. Who knew, it would only took him 3 years to get into decent form for us. Very pleased to be wrong.

16 hours ago, SaintJet said:

100% this. He's always had this workrate and quality, but up until this season he's been playing nowhere near the goal. He's always needed a strike partner to link up with and play off and TBH I've been finding it pretty infuriating that it was taking the manager so long to do something about that.