St.Johnstone V Rangers - Sunday 6th November

SaintJet

Sunday lunchtime game and Rangers in town with pressure building on their manager after a poor run of results.

We should be able to give this mob a game and if we take our chances we could create a shock. The last place an under pressure manager wants be taking his team is Perth - getting beaten by us diddies is the end of the line for these superstars!

Expect to see pretty much the same team as last week and I hope CD resists the temptation to take out a forward and pack the midfield.

Expecting defend-at-all-costs tactics from Callum, although it will be interesting to see if anything is taken on board from the Celtic game a few weeks ago. We looked pretty poor in that one until we made some changes and started attacking them, then we ended up being unlucky not to get a point.

Will we get a Spoony start in this one?

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Expecting defend-at-all-costs tactics from Callum, although it will be interesting to see if anything is taken on board from the Celtic game a few weeks ago. We looked pretty poor in that one until we made some changes and started attacking them, then we ended up being unlucky not to get a point.

Will we get a Spoony start in this one?

Has Spoony got 90 mins in his legs as yet?

I believe he and Murray (when he returns) can offer have got the quality that teams around us are lacking in the midfield.

COYS

Wouldn’t be against a game plan along the lines of keeping it tight for as long as possible, then really going at them for the last 20 minutes or so. Whether or not that was by accident or by design against Celtic, actually feel it’d be better suited to playing against Rangers. To me, they’re not all that great at breaking teams down and rely too heavily on throwing balls into the box. 

Fully expect we’ll be 1-0 down within 5 minutes after a slick passing move from Rangers. 

Wotherspoon in for Carey and Montgomery in for Brown, though I’ll be shocked if the latter happens. 

As long as the manager recognises when he needs to make changes, Hallberg looked knackered last week and should have been one of the first to be replaced. Not saying we had someone better to replace him but he looked tired. Not sure if it's the position or what. Strangely an adult ticket for this game is cheaper than usual. £20 rather than £24. 

Aberdeen probably went in over confident last week and look what happened. I suspect it will be a keep in the game for as long as possible, result won't define our season etc etc. I'd like to see us have more of a go, if its obvious its not working then resort to trying to keep the score down and stay in the game. Parking the bus from the 1st min is poor entertainment. You may as well get beat 4 or 5 nil as a 1-nil and not have a go.

Plenty tickets left for home support. On Sky which is bound to to hit the home attendance but Rangers fans will be out in their usual numbers.

I have a sneaking feeling we might cause an uspet for this one. The team are playing steady enough and we have a cutting edge again upfront ( if we chose to go down this route). It's been too long since we turned these guys over.

Trap game for Rangers as crazy as it sounds. Its incredible to think that a single loss and the manager could get fired. That creates a strange dynamic in the dressing room and I'm sure his stress/nerves will be there. I agree with above poster to keep it tight and then see how the game opens up. Reality is we should have drawn against Celtic with this tactic somewhat, bar an unlucky cramp from Wright.

I think we have the ability to get a result here, team needs to believe this and with confidence in our keeper, I think we can make it  tough on them. Kind of game that's really in the managers hands to boost confidence.

Why not start the game at 3pm, is this TV related? 7am here and west coast saints, a *** game lure for a 4am kickoff....

14 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

Why not start the game at 3pm, is this TV related? 7am here and west coast saints, a *** game lure for a 4am kickoff....

Aye - games on Sky. Premier League comes first for them so they’ll not want it to clash with their ‘Super Sunday’. 

7 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Aye - games on Sky. Premier League comes first for them so they’ll not want it to clash with their ‘Super Sunday’. 

Saints game is part of super Sunday is it not. I’m sure the super Sunday deal is five games back to back so we will be first one. I’m probably wrong.

Edited by saintgscot

6 hours ago, saintgscot said:

Saints game is part of super Sunday is it not. I’m sure the super Sunday deal is five games back to back so we will be first one. I’m probably wrong.

Could be right. I’d always just assumed Super Sunday was their Premier League games these days - hence the graphics

Steven McLean ,referee. Graeme Leslie VAR ref who has assisted on a few championship and lower games but has never refereed a game in any top tier.

Apologies just found loads of assistant ref including Saints games going back to 2014.

Edited by Cagey

20 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Wouldn’t be against a game plan along the lines of keeping it tight for as long as possible, then really going at them for the last 20 minutes or so.

Suspect that will be the plan, especially as CD has said this in the Courier: 

"Against Rangers or Celtic, if you go 2-0 down then it’s a really tough ask to come back. If you can stay in it as long as you can, then you know at some point you will get chances."

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Suspect that will be the plan, especially as CD has said this in the Courier: 

"Against Rangers or Celtic, if you go 2-0 down then it’s a really tough ask to come back. If you can stay in it as long as you can, then you know at some point you will get chances."

Aye that’s the way it should be against the Old Firm, imo. Completely disagree with Simon Ferry and the likes who say you should press them from the start because you’re likely to get beat anyway. The problem I have is that we have a similar game plan regardless if we’re playing Annan or Celtic. 

Edited by PSJ.84