St.Johnstone V Celtic Sunday 5th February 2023

SaintJet

2 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

Commentator creaming himself fir tics tae score 2nd half, impartiality ma arse.

Same from him every week when Celtic are playing.

Saints in command for first 10 mins but Celtic score the first time they get in Saints half.

2 hours ago, Gekko said:

A weird kind of game.

We didn't play badly, actually much better than recent times against this bunch, at least we had a go.

celtic are simply miles ahead of anybody else in the league. Every time they attacked they looked dangerous.

Thought Considine looked his age today. Does well against most teams but up against this kind of speed and intensity, he can't cope now.

Brown had a good game for me, as did Phillips and MacPherson. Cammy does need to work on his set piece delivery though.

May struggled on his own up front, as he always does without a striking partner. Bad luck losing Clark to injury.

I was desperate for changes to be made from about ten minutes into the second half when it was obvious things needed freshened up.

The last goal was annoying. 3-1 was probably fair but it wasn't a 4-1. Can't argue with the red.

Anyway, that's that done. A quick break then a run of really important games.

Get a bit of momentum going and could maybe even sneak a top six place.

Gee! Was gonna post something similar, but couldn't have expressed it so eloquently. 

Not downbeat in the least.

We seem to have stumbled on a shape and formation that suits us. Phillips and McPherson look good in midfield and comfortable on the ball. They sometimes get caught in possession and the crowd can get on their back for it. We might even lose a goal because of it but the times they set up attacks and play decent passes is worth the chance.

The defence is still a worry and May on his own up front doesn't work but if we play as positive as today and don't give too much respect to Hearts ,Hibs ,Aberdeen etc we will win more than we lose.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

We seem to have stumbled on a shape and formation that suits us. Phillips and McPherson look good in midfield and comfortable on the ball. They sometimes get caught in possession and the crowd can get on their back for it. We might even lose a goal because of it but the times they set up attacks and play decent passes is worth the chance.

The defence is still a worry and May on his own up front doesn't work but if we play as positive as today and don't give too much respect to Hearts ,Hibs ,Aberdeen etc we will win more than we lose.

that is as close to a positive a post as i have ever seen after a game from you @Cagey you feeling okay :laugh:

I thought we played relatively well given we were up against the best team in the league. With Phillips and MacPherson in the middle of the park we at least try to play a bit of football and we were trying to play our way into opportunities rather than just humping the ball forward. It made our play a bit more positive than we've sometimes looked in games like this, and for me the 4-1 scoreline maybe flatters Celtic a bit. I wouldn't have said there were three goals in it if it wasn't for the fact that they're just so much more clinical in front of goal than the other teams we normally face.

Have to admit I'm not convinced Considine is someone we can rely on to be playing every single week as he has been. With Mitchell presumably not coming back next season and Gordon still struggling for form, I suspect another defensive rebuild is on the horizon. Up front May put in his usual pile of work but the support he was getting wasn't the best and the game was always going to be a big ask for him. I hope Rudden turns out to be better than he looked on this initial brief showing.

One thing that always stands out for me about Cammy MacPherson is how good his attitude is. He never hides from the ball and constantly wants to be involved, even when things aren't going well. Notice that he always wants to put himself forward for taking free-kicks too (even though he doesn't appear to be particularly good at them!). Looking forward to seeing him proving me wrong on that last comment by smashing his next one into the top corner. 

I thought it was a good game and played in a great spirit...by both sides. Really enjoyed it despite the result.

Despite previous grumbles, got no hassles from the visiting fans either before or after the game.

One point that might have scaped notice was when two saints players went down injured in the second half and the ref stopped play....a couple of Celtic's players came over and tried to look after our player and see that he was ok. It was SO refreshing...these Japanese players are great to watch, an absolute breath of fresh air with their conduct.

MacPherson and Phillips starting to really look the part.......thought they both played really well. We don't meet teams with the skill levels and pace that Celtic have every week...against lesser sides...which is all of the rest..we can get something.

Looking UP now rather than down.

15 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Hopefully this is a one off aberration for Considine and not the sign that his legs gone like we saw with Frazer Wright.

Because despite my initial misgivings he's been very solid. 

Could be 3 games in a week too much. Strange that it was Gordon that was rested but probably the fact that Consadine is our only left sided defender.

Booth could do that job but he has a mystery injury that's sees him make the bench once in past 5 months.

Gallacher had a decent game at left back considering he has only made the bench a couple of times this season. 

On a linked subject O'Halloran seems to be on the bench every week whilst I think he has been on the pitch about 10 minutes this season.

3 hours ago, Calluna4u said:

One point that might have scaped notice was when two saints players went down injured in the second half and the ref stopped play....a couple of Celtic's players came over and tried to look after our player and see that he was ok. It was SO refreshing...these Japanese players are great to watch, an absolute breath of fresh air with their conduct.

Just wait until they do that in a bigotfest. Scottish football will soon knock this politeness and manners nonsense out of them! 😂 

1 hour ago, Sergei said:

Just wait until they do that in a bigotfest. Scottish football will soon knock this politeness and manners nonsense out of them! 😂 

I remember when Spoony went down injured right in front of us in the east stand a few seasons back.......a certain unpleasant little Colombian from the other half of the OF spat in his direction..was not spotted...just lovely. Such a contrast.

So what happened yesterday why the club see fit to warn us about our conduct ?

I sit towards middle of East Stand and saw nothing untoward at all.

I entered the car park on foot as I do most games from the crematorium side of the ground gate, from what I could see, Celtic fans were not corralled into 3 lines and subjected to being searched as I was when I got round to East Stand, why is that ?

Once again the Crematorium grounds were taken over as an unofficial Celtic fans carpark and a park they could enjoy a drink in as well,surely that can’t be acceptable, possibly not Saints fault but why don’t the council or whoever runs the Crematorium do something about it.

9 hours ago, Strawman said:

I entered the car park on foot as I do most games from the crematorium side of the ground gate, from what I could see, Celtic fans were not corralled into 3 lines and subjected to being searched as I was when I got round to East Stand, why is that ?

Once again the Crematorium grounds were taken over as an unofficial Celtic fans carpark and a park they could enjoy a drink in as well,surely that can’t be acceptable, possibly not Saints fault but why don’t the council or whoever runs the Crematorium do something about it.

I saw Blair Mcinnis saying it’s an annual obligation on the clubs part. Wasn’t related to anything at all. 

26 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

That’s the first time I’ve seen this on line before 

Me neither, but Blair is the club’s point of contact in the FCU and organises the group more or less.

assuming he contacted the club to find out if there was an issue. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

On 2/6/2023 at 10:30 PM, Strawman said:

the first paragraph said it was part of the club licensing