Give Us a Reason Why Callum Should be St Johnstone Boss

Shibbydoo

Couple of other points

1/ stability - other clubs roll the dice repeatedly, hoping a good-un will hit and results will improve - every time another manager is fired it reinforces callum's seat in the eyes of owners. Steady as she goes......

2/ Tied to 1. we are marketing the club for sale, you don't want stability issues during a sales cycle. 

The conservative nature of saints ownership has been good for the club in some ways, but hurt ability to gain traction from success. So the dour cycle continues, and owners are as much to blame for CD than anyone, its their 'avoid relegation' DNA.

6 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

Couple of other points

1/ stability - other clubs roll the dice repeatedly, hoping a good-un will hit and results will improve - every time another manager is fired it reinforces callum's seat in the eyes of owners. Steady as she goes......

2/ Tied to 1. we are marketing the club for sale, you don't want stability issues during a sales cycle. 

The conservative nature of saints ownership has been good for the club in some ways, but hurt ability to gain traction from success. So the dour cycle continues, and owners are as much to blame for CD than anyone, its their 'avoid relegation' DNA.

You are more highlighting the fact he won't be sacked as the owners are asleep at the wheel. There is absolutely nothing steady about the last two seasons on and off the pitch.

3 hours ago, garydavidson said:

You are more highlighting the fact he won't be sacked as the owners are asleep at the wheel. There is absolutely nothing steady about the last two seasons on and off the pitch.

yeah, i didnt really answer the original question, just responding more on why our owners are probably thinking this. Middle of the table, avoided relegation, improved position over last season etc etc

10 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

They budget fir 10 th, anything else a bonus.

Theyve spent about half a million in the past 12 months, we have over 30 contracted players, and many are high earners.

We dont have a small budget.

This Summer is huge for Davidson. He needs to show fans he can plan for the future and he needs to commit to building a younger squad. Theres always a bit more leeway for managers if fans can see that i think.

Get Sinclair and Max playing regulary, get Ferguson involved in cup games. Younger CB and LWB (if Gallacher isnt up to it) and youre off to a good start.

Sinclair

Wright - 25yo CB - Gordon - Considine - Gallacher

Phillips - MacPherson - Max

Clark - May

Get a younger ST too (linked with Paton at QOS earlier this year) who comes in and look likes a future player.

Its not perfect but i think he restores some confidence in him.

If he goes for an older GK ahead of Sinclair, puts McGowan at CB, plays Booth as first choice LWB, plays Carey ahead of Max, doesnt sign any younger players beyond punts of folk like Sandford/Dailly, then he'll struggle to ever win some folk back.

We're safe early so he can plan, and hes got a decent core to build from, so theres no excuses this Summer (Summer 2 got Kerr/McCann sold late/Summer 3 uncertainty of league so things on hold, dont fully believe them but there was underlying reasons the summer window would be tough). This is the one where you can 100% tell how he is in terms of squad building.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Theyve spent about half a million in the past 12 months, we have over 30 contracted players, and many are high earners.

This Summer is huge for Davidson. He needs to show fans he can plan for the future and he needs to commit to building a younger squad. Theres always a bit more leeway for managers if fans can see that i think.

Get Sinclair and Max playing regulary, get Ferguson involved in cup games. Younger CB and LWB (if Gallacher isnt up to it) and youre off to a good start.

Sinclair

Clark - May

Get a younger ST too (linked with Paton at QOS earlier this year) who comes in and look likes a future player.

If he goes for an older GK ahead of Sinclair, puts McGowan at CB, plays Booth as first choice LWB, plays Carey ahead of Max, doesnt sign any younger players beyond punts of folk like Sandford/Dailly, then he'll struggle to ever win some folk back.

We're safe early so he can plan, and hes got a decent core to build from, so theres no excuses this Summer (Summer 2 got Kerr/McCann sold late/Summer 3 uncertainty of league so things on hold, dont fully believe them but there was underlying reasons the summer window would be tough). This is the one where you can 100% tell how he is in terms of squad building.

The thought of him even being given this summer is utterly depressing.

1 hour ago, sixties saintee said:

They budget fir 10 th, anything else a bonus.

Can I ask how you know this? I've seen a few people say this but I'm not convinced it's accurate. Steve Brown said in an interview a couple of years ago we used to budget in this way but off the back of recent successes the club was trying to "push the boat out" or words to that effect. I haven't seen any other interviews since then implying that attitude has mellowed, but maybe you have?

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Sinclair

Clark - May

If we spent the 500k before or after Kerr McCann allowed to go we may have still been in Europe and maybe qualified the next season rather than almost being relegated.

Agree with all you say except "we are safe" ,remember who our manager is.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Sinclair

Clark - May

Agree with most of what you're saying but I struggle to see Davidson going down this route. Last season we gave some younger players a bit of game time in the friendlies and League Cup games but most of them disappeared pretty quickly once the league campaign started.

At this stage my predictions would be: we'll try to get Remi back (which I'd be fine with) and if we can't get him we'll bring in another older GK (probably someone else on loan, at the last minute). We'll bring at least one young player in on loan from Millwall, probably to play somewhere in the defence. We'll sign a LCB to compete with Considine but that person will hardly ever play. Gallacher will be away. Max will play for a bit but drop down the pecking order as soon as he makes a mistake or has a bad game. We hand Dundee a wad of money to keep Rudden and then he sits on the bench most weeks. We sign at least two over-30s who have been around the block at a bunch of other SPFL clubs.

8 hours ago, blueheaven said:

At this stage my predictions would be: we'll try to get Remi back (which I'd be fine with)...

I would hope not.

Goals conceded above average:

Sam Walker: +0.6
Craig Gordon: -0.1
Shamal George: -2.2
Joe Hart: -2.2
Kelle Roos: -2.6
Trevor Carson: -3.7
Liam Kelly: -4.3
Allan McGregor: -4.8
David Marshall: -6.7
Mark Birighitti: -7.6
Ross Laidlaw: -7.8
Remi Matthews: -12.6

Ranks 11/15 for save percentage as well.

11 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

I would hope not.

Goals conceded above average:

Sam Walker: +0.6
Craig Gordon: -0.1
Shamal George: -2.2
Joe Hart: -2.2
Kelle Roos: -2.6
Trevor Carson: -3.7
Liam Kelly: -4.3
Allan McGregor: -4.8
David Marshall: -6.7
Mark Birighitti: -7.6
Ross Laidlaw: -7.8
Remi Matthews: -12.6

Ranks 11/15 for save percentage as well.

Feel like we’re conceding far more from distance than we should be. I don’t have any stats to back that up, just a gut a feeling. 

Seems like a great bloke but as the season has progressed, my faith in him has waned. 

21 hours ago, blueheaven said:

We sign at least two over-30s who have been around the block at a bunch of other SPFL clubs.

Forgot to add that when we sign yet more 30+ players, CD will make the argument that we need more experience in the squad because we've lost Murray Davidson/Jamie Murphy/Spoony/Crawford/MOH (or whichever combination of older players departs).

Cost too much to sack him and think what the media " who mostly still think he is a decent manager" will say about us sacking our double winning manager.

After all we are a diddy team who have been punching above our weight for over 10 years now.

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

Feel like we’re conceding far more from distance than we should be. I don’t have any stats to back that up, just a gut a feeling. 

Seems like a great bloke but as the season has progressed, my faith in him has waned. 

Yeah, absolutely nothing personal with him, just as it wasn't with Clark when he had a tough 18 months and was being called out on that.

He of course bounced back but was also under contract so it's in the interests of the club to persevere with him.

The great thing about the evolvement of advanced stats is it can back up what you think you are seeing. Certainly conceding goals from distance will always drag a player down on these metrics.

Hopefully if we are safe post-split, Sinclair can get a run of games.

On 3/22/2023 at 9:07 AM, blueheaven said:

Can I ask how you know this? I've seen a few people say this but I'm not convinced it's accurate. Steve Brown said in an interview a couple of years ago we used to budget in this way but off the back of recent successes the club was trying to "push the boat out" or words to that effect. I haven't seen any other interviews since then implying that attitude has mellowed, but maybe you have?

Me mellowed, nae chance ask Hoodlum.