Summer transfers/contracts 2023

garydavidson

Another good signing in Jephcott.

From reading that Plymouth Herald story, it seems that big things were expected of him a few years back, then he fell out of it when they changed to one up front.

Good news if part of the reason he's been brought in is that he's comfortable in a two and will be partnering May up front.

Should bring out the best in both.

Decent goalscoring record as well.

Not the tallest at 5 feet 10, but I'm not sure that's important for the way Macca wants to play.

It's also good to read that the manager at Plymouth reluctantly let him go.

It means that there must be a player in there and we're taking a punt on him to get him back on track to perform for us.

Then hopefully increase his value and get some coin in the bank when he leaves.

He's ticks all the boxes of the type of signing I believe we should be making.

It's taken a while, but so far so good for this window.

Don't think I've ever seen Jephcott play, but have to say on paper I'm impressed that we're managing to attract guys like him and Mitov. If the numbers on Wikipedia are vaguely accurate he scored 16 goals in 41 games in 2020/21 and 10 goals in 40 games in 21/22 before dropping out of favour. If he could get a similar return here I'd be delighted with that.

Interesting to read what fans are saying about the move on the Plymouth forum: https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/luke-jephcott-to-st-johnstone.124180/page-2

Most of them saying they think it's a great move for him, which is a big difference from the attitudes of a lot of the Cambridge fans about us signing Mitov.

1 hour ago, pezza70 said:

Am very happy if we make this our second signing, he is the right age and hopefully hungry to put himself out there for potential higher moves.

No way we sign these two under CD I believe 

I too think this is a good signing, however, where does this leave our current strikers. MacLean has said he will only sign players if they are better than what we have - so who is he better than? We have May and Clark, two of the highest earners at the club(and probably two of our most naturally gifted players). Then we have Chris Kane, who before his injury, was one of the first names on the team sheet and is a very valuable tool to have in the Scottish Premiership.

Full disclosure, I have absolutely no idea how much we are paying Jephcott but the optics are that he wasn’t cheap. That means we have 4 first team strikers. Hopefully Macca will play 2 up front but he can’t every week. That means he has signed a player, potentially on above average wages, knowing that in some matches, 3 of them won’t play.

Maybe Kane isn’t in Macca’s plans and will leave or maybe the rumours from earlier in the year about Kane being unable to get back to top professional levels are true. Maybe Macca sees Nicky Clark as another Callum Davidson signing that he didn’t fancy.

Alas, I fear we NEED a Centre Half, Right Back, Left Back, Wide attacking Left sided player much more than we needed a striker…

Ryan McGowan at right back

Andy Considine/Liam Gordon as CBs

Tony Gallagher/Callum Booth at left back

Graham Carey at LW

all reek of relegation fodder 

4 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I too think this is a good signing, however, where does this leave our current strikers. MacLean has said he will only sign players if they are better than what we have - so who is he better than? We have May and Clark, two of the highest earners at the club(and probably two of our most naturally gifted players). Then we have Chris Kane, who before his injury, was one of the first names on the team sheet and is a very valuable tool to have in the Scottish Premiership.

Full disclosure, I have absolutely no idea how much we are paying Jephcott but the optics are that he wasn’t cheap. That means we have 4 first team strikers. Hopefully Macca will play 2 up front but he can’t every week. That means he has signed a player, potentially on above average wages, knowing that in some matches, 3 of them won’t play.

Maybe Kane isn’t in Macca’s plans and will leave or maybe the rumours from earlier in the year about Kane being unable to get back to top professional levels are true. Maybe Macca sees Nicky Clark as another Callum Davidson signing that he didn’t fancy.

Alas, I fear we NEED a Centre Half, Right Back, Left Back, Wide attacking Left sided player much more than we needed a striker…

Graham Carey at LW

Kane has played mins of football in 18 months. Clark has been out for an age as well. 

It’s possible he’s got budget for all those positions but you can’t not sign a player that fits the bill when available because you need other positions more urgently. 

We absolutely needed a striker. If this guy cuts the mustard, I’m assuming Kane will be away in January. 

Work I’m sure is ongoing regarding other key positions. 

17 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Graham Carey at LW

I think we're in need of another striker, and I'm glad Macca has gone for one. We've lost two forwards over the summer in Rudden and Bair (granted they weren't very good, but it's still a big reduction in numbers), and with injuries I can see it often being the case that May, Clark and Kane won't all be available at the same time. That would leave us with just two strikers available for a lot of games (and at the moment it's just one, which is clearly an issue). May's injury history isn't the best and I think we've actually been pretty lucky that he's been able to play most weeks. We've also lost Hallberg who Macca had seemingly ear-marked for a more attacking role.

It's not just about numbers, either. There's also the fact that we continue to struggle to actually score goals. We looked really poor going forward on Saturday and desperately need a new face to give us some spark up front. If Jephcott can actually come in and be a prolific scorer he'll instantly be worth more to us than any of the others.