Callum away

saintgscot

23 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Not what I've heard. Apparently CD is on Holiday and is being confirmed when he returns. All hearsay of course.

I hope he does go for it, as he might take some of our players with him, and it would give next season a bit of drama. Also, I think those who he dropped 'didn't trust' might want to prove him wrong!

20 minutes ago, BroganGoals said:

Flip flop Davidson. Agrees term on Tuesday after a week to consider then on Wednesday morning changes his mind.

Has Rowatt been on the phone offering him his old job back.

I wonder if the staff he was taking with him to Dundee have handed in their resignations.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My god I am glad he has gone:

Speaking to BBC Scotland, Davidson said: “I got annoyed in my last game, I changed my formation, which annoyed me. It still sits with me to this day. I was told that if we didn’t win the game I was out.

“In my final game, I knew if I didn’t win that I was gone, so I changed my formation and I thought: we’ll have a go.

“It’s just football and I’ve heard it so many times, that you just have to get on with it.

“It was just disappointing. We were ninth in the league at the time and for St Johnstone to be ninth in the league isn’t too bad. We would all like to be higher but it was a rebuild of the squad."

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/4676230/callum-davidson-st-johnstone-ultimatum/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Not only did he think 9th was good, he thought he was rebuilding and from these quotes it appears he still thought his failing formation wasn't a problem.

I've no idea if Macca will turn out to be a success or not but regardless of whether he does or doesn't, getting rid of Davidson was absolutely the right move. 

23 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Not only did he think 9th was good, he thought he was rebuilding and from these quotes it appears he still thought his failing formation wasn't a problem.

I've no idea if Macca will turn out to be a success or not but regardless of whether he does or doesn't, getting rid of Davidson was absolutely the right move. 

and (I think) the 11 points from the 6 post Davidson games proves it.

The ninth isn’t too bad quote bugs me a lot more than it probably should. In the grand scheme of things, it’s a fair comment and I’d bite your hand off for a ninth this season. However, at the time of his sacking, we were in ninth place sitting on 32 points - 5 points above 12th - having been sat in 5th on 24 points after beating County in December. 8 points in 14 games. So not only were we hurtling towards relegation, we were doing so having thrown away what could’ve been a decent season. That he feels that’s still a good place to be says a lot for him. That’s before you begin to unpack the bit about formations…

I’d like to give Davidson the benefit of the doubt and say that a lot of what he’s said is just self preservation, as he tries to get a gig elsewhere. It’s difficult to do that though as I think he genuinely believes in what he’s saying. 

26 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

John Connolly was shocking as our Manager but he is still a legend. 

I hope we don't forget that Davidson's time at Saints was not all bad. He just stayed too long when things became, so obviously, bad. 

About 15 months too long, I’d say. Makes me cringe hearing the usual sycophants backing their pal on the radio. They felt sorry for him. Sorry he had wasted the biggest budget, built a bloated and aging squad, couldn’t see past his formation, treated players badly, was heading for the drop and all with very little entertainment.

A good player, a double winning manager and a good coach.

Edited by andrew

32 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

John Connolly was shocking as our Manager but he is still a legend. 

I hope we don't forget that Davidson's time at Saints was not all bad. He just stayed too long when things became, so obviously, bad. 

Probably be a generation thing, like i think it was with Connolly.

Those who saw them as a player will cherish that and consider them a legend. Those who only saw the managerial stints will have a poorer view of them. Those who saw both will end up in some blase middle ground.

It was only five years ago that some people were calling for Tommy Wright to go because we finished 8th. It's only because Davidson made us so appallingly bad, to the point of staying up by the skin of our teeth in season 2021/22, that 9th suddenly became looked upon as "OK" and some sort of improvement. It really shows how quickly standards can slip. And we might have been 9th when he was actually sacked, but we were very much in the process of rapidly hurtling towards 12th.

As for the "rebuilding" stuff - in Davidson's last two transfer windows he signed Mitchell, Montgomery, Matthews, Clark, McLennan, Wright, Murphy, Carey, Considine, McGowan, Rudden and Phillips. Of those 12 players, five were only here on loan and five were over the age of 31 (several were closer to 34/35). That means just two out of 12 players (Dan Phillips and Drey Wright) were at a good age and signed for more than one year. And he didn't introduce a single one of the club's own youth players into the first team in that time either. He was building nothing.

If he'd actually managed to hold onto his job, he would have spent the current transfer window burdening the club with yet more past-it journeymen on expensive contracts and filling in the gaps with whoever Millwall could offer us on loan. I could not be happier that this guy has gone.

I really don't get the hatred for a manager who won two trophies. Whilst we're struggling with him as manager is ok to criticise, but surely enough time has passed now since he left to focus on his three seasons in charge rather than fixate on the last two.

His comment about 9th is clearly that finishing 9th is not a sackable offence. That's a fair comment and I wouldn't expect to see McLean sacked if we finish 9th this season. Claiming a guy who won two trophies and finished 6th had no ambition to do better than 9th is laughable. He might have been a one-season wonder, but when your one season was that good that should be the legacy he's remembered for.

32 minutes ago, That_Dave said:

I really don't get the hatred for a manager who won two trophies. Whilst we're struggling with him as manager is ok to criticise, but surely enough time has passed now since he left to focus on his three seasons in charge rather than fixate on the last two.

His comment about 9th is clearly that finishing 9th is not a sackable offence. That's a fair comment and I wouldn't expect to see McLean sacked if we finish 9th this season. Claiming a guy who won two trophies and finished 6th had no ambition to do better than 9th is laughable. He might have been a one-season wonder, but when your one season was that good that should be the legacy he's remembered for.

I hate to say it but I think I'll always struggle to associate him in my mind with anything other than playing horrific football, nearly getting us relegated (twice) and completely destroying everything Tommy Wright had taken years to build.

I agree finishing 9th isn't a sackable offence, but that would be on the proviso that we finished 9th against a backdrop of improvement and trying to build something better for the future. And let's face it: if he'd stayed, we weren't going to finish 9th. Just look at our results up to the point he left. We were in freefall and we were getting worse as the weeks went on, not better.  If the club hadn't acted, we were going down.

To be honest I think his signing policy alone was a sackable offence. He lumbered the club with players whose careers were nearly all on the way down and who we had no hope of ever selling on for a fee, and he had zero interest in youth development. His short-term outlook set us back years and created a nightmare for his successor to try to fix. If Macca manages to finish 9th this season off the back of the mess Davidson left behind, I'll be impressed.