Saints v Hibs, Saturday 22 April 2023

blueheaven

This would have been a huge game regardless of the managerial change, but it takes on an extra bit of interest now with it being MacLean's first game in charge. Are people expecting Macca to make sweeping changes, or stick with a similar line-up to Davidson's?

I'd probably go 4-4-2 and something like:

__________Matthews

Brown Mitchell Gordon Montgomery

Wright Phillips MacPherson Spoony

_________May Rudden

Possibly summing up just what a mess our squad is in at the moment, we have loads of players and several out on loan because they couldn't get in the team, and yet we seem to have hardly any attacking options.

One disappointing thing about this game for me: I really felt the club should have done a reduced ticket price to get a bumper crowd in and give Hibs a reciprocal deal to the one they've given Saints twice of late. Feels a bit crappy that Saints have done nothing. Whoever takes over the club next, I really hope they have a few more creative ideas for attracting and motivating both new and existing fans.

53 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

This would have been a huge game regardless of the managerial change, but it takes on an extra bit of interest now with it being MacLean's first game in charge. Are people expecting Macca to make sweeping changes, or stick with a similar line-up to Davidson's?

__________Matthews

_________May Rudden

Possibly summing up just what a mess our squad is in at the moment, we have loads of players and several out on loan because they couldn't get in the team, and yet we seem to have hardly any attacking options.

One disappointing thing about this game for me: I really felt the club should have done a reduced ticket price to get a bumper crowd in and give Hibs a reciprocal deal to the one they've given Saints twice of late. Feels a bit crappy that Saints have done nothing. Whoever takes over the club next, I really hope they have a few more creative ideas for attracting and motivating both new and existing fans.

I think we might see McGowan in midfield and Murphy out wide.

Agree it would have been nice to see using some inspiration on the marketing front -we could have sold out McD if someone was doing their job.

I can see goals in this game and emotions swinging in different directions.

9 hours ago, blueheaven said:

__________Matthews

_________May Rudden

Hibs gave us their deal as a thanks for our free kids and family deals,over the years,it was mentioned the first time they gave us the fiver game 

12 hours ago, dave mc said:

Hibs gave us their deal as a thanks for our free kids and family deals,over the years,it was mentioned the first time they gave us the fiver game 

I'm not sure that's entirely the case as they wouldn't have been allowed to charge their home fans £5 and our fans a higher price for an equivalent view. They pretty much had to give the away fans the same deal. Appreciate though that they said in their announcement: 

“It’s also fantastic that the match is against St Johnstone as they look after our fans well when we travel to Perth and offer the cheapest away day ticket for our supporters.”

It's looking like there's going to be a big Hibs support on Saturday, with them filling up the away end, one end of the Main Stand and also now selling tickets for the Ormond Stand. This was always looking like it could be a big game for them and I still think it's a pity the club hasn't tried something a bit more creative to get a big home support in (doesn't need to be £5 tickets, but try something).

Just keeping this thread ticking over becasue it needs our attention.

If Steve Mclean wants to have the job full time he really has to make his mark early on. He has to show relevant changes to illustrate our type of play or how he wants us to play. If he trots out the same formation and the same tacticts we'll know all too soon that he isn't the man for the job. The problem is of course we don't have time to procrastinate. If we lose on Saturday we need a new manager in place for the resumption of the relegation battle. Will that happen - I don't know.

I am hoping and praying that behind the scenes the board are actively pursuing possibilities. 

Biggest game of the season for sure. A win and results going our way means we can give McLean time and not rush a decision.

Defeat and results going against us could mean appointing someone for a relegation dog-fight. The manager we'd need then is very much a pragmatic Davidson-type, which isn't necessarily what we need for next season. If they come in and keep us up, it's hard to move beyond them.

Hibs are under-pressure themselves in this game. They are two points off 4th, but if they fail to win and Livingstone do their European push is over. We could see them taking massive risks if level late on, so it will be interesting to see how open McLean would want to be if that actually happens - take the point, or commit to trying to catch them on the counter?

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Just interested to know thoughts on here, what would the reaction/mood be like tomorrow if you arrive at the stadium to find us playing any combination of: a 3-5-2 formation, Carey in the midfield/on the pitch, James Brown at either CB or LWB, Alex Mitchell the RCB in a three?

I’m quite excited/optimistic at the minute but that would quickly dissipate. I don’t necessarily think the formation and the way players were used inside of that was the sole cause of our issues under Davidson, so it’s possible to still get a result and a positive performance within that system. I really hope it is something different from the norm though. 

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

I’m quite excited/optimistic at the minute but that would quickly dissipate. I don’t necessarily think the formation and the way players were used inside of that was the sole cause of our issues under Davidson, so it’s possible to still get a result and a positive performance within that system. I really hope it is something different from the norm though. 

Agreed, while some of the optimism would disappear I’d still be intrigued by the players response. 

I think the 4-2-3-1 would suit the players that we have currently available. I'd ask Mitchell to play slightly out of position by playing on the left side of the centre-backs. Controversial, but I would leave Gordon out of this one. I just think McGowan has looked better lately and I trust his distribution more. I think we need to make sure we get Dan and Cammy on the ball and allow Hallberg more ability to roam. The two behind him allow that a little more. I much prefer Stevie in a two up top, but we are limited for options. The 3 behind him would have to press on and support.

Matthews

Brown   McGowan    Mitchell   Monty

Phillips        MacPherson

Wright            Hallberg            Spoony

May

This will be my first live game since before the World Cup break and will also be my last this season (due to another 6 weeks of Intensive hospital treatment) so hopefully it will be as good as my only competitive game last season with the play-off win.

Sorry I missed CD bowing out and not sure about our temp manager but am just over the moon about actually getting to a game.

9 minutes ago, Tranmere Saintee said:

This will be my first live game since before the World Cup break and will also be my last this season (due to another 6 weeks of Intensive hospital treatment) so hopefully it will be as good as my only competitive game last season with the play-off win.

Sorry I missed CD bowing out and not sure about our temp manager but am just over the moon about actually getting to a game.

Enjoy the game Phil and good luck with hospital treatment. 

2 hours ago, Tranmere Saintee said:

Enjoy the game mate hopefully the team shows the same fight that you have in you 

18 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Just interested to know thoughts on here, what would the reaction/mood be like tomorrow if you arrive at the stadium to find us playing any combination of: a 3-5-2 formation, Carey in the midfield/on the pitch, James Brown at either CB or LWB, Alex Mitchell the RCB in a three?

This would confirm that Macca isn’t the man we need even temporarily. 

Only been to 2 home games this season due boycotting CD and giving up my season ticket last term, but I’m going today 

13 hours ago, Tranmere Saintee said:

Bravo 

19 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I'd feel a bit concerned if it looked like Macca was just carrying on where Davidson left off and wasn't trying to put his own stamp on things.

That said, as long as we won the match I wouldn't really care. For me, the manager can go with whatever formation, tactics and team selection he likes, as long as it actually works. A huge issue with Davidson was that it wasn't working and he wasn't doing enough to change that.