Celtic v Saints, 26 /08/2023

blueheaven

Against the  play we almost won the game. Miltov is great but all the lads did well though Hoops players had an uncanny knack of stealing the ball when we had possession. We played well against Hearts then collapsed against Ross C lets hope this time  is not a one game wonder.

1 hour ago, Ritspeed said:

Any insight or thoughts on how Phillips fared as captain? 

More disciplined than I’ve seen him so far. None of his daft tackles/bookings, didn’t go chasing when he didn’t need to and actually held his shape pretty well and protected the centre halves throughout the game. Other than one(?) moment, he kept things pretty simple and tidy on the ball too. Hard to judge how much, if any, of that was down to being the captain, but that was the sort of performance he needs to produce more often. 

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

More disciplined than I’ve seen him so far. None of his daft tackles/bookings, didn’t go chasing when he didn’t need to and actually held his shape pretty well and protected the centre halves throughout the game. Other than one(?) moment, he kept things pretty simple and tidy on the ball too. Hard to judge how much, if any, of that was down to being the captain, but that was the sort of performance he needs to produce more often. 

Spot on. If Phillips can just stick to what he is good at by breaking up the play and playing simple passes, he will be a massive asset for us.

Delighted with todays performance. Really good shape and discipline. Mitov was outstanding and will get all the plaudits, but a lot of praise must also go to the likes of McClelland, Olufunwa, Robinson, Costello and particularly Matt Smith. I thought they were all excellent.

Todays result will provide a massive boost of confidence to the whole squad, hopefully we can build on it with a win against Dundee next week. The club should be doing as much as possible in the week ahead to promote the game and try to get as many people as possible into McDiarmid.

9 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Is Liam Gordon injured? Chucking Considine in at Celtic Park if Gordon is available just feels like madness to me. And does McGowan have an injury issue?

Phillips an incredibly odd captaincy choice too.

Feels worryingly like Macca has found Callum's tombola, but let's see how this turns out. This team selection certainly hasn't done anything to increase my confidence, though.

Dropping Gordon is something I have championed for months.  One game doesnae verify my thoughts, but the brave and bold management today I liked very much.  Macca got today spot on.   Gordon is an OK centre half but a million miles away from captain material. St Johnstone is massively bigger than one player.  Dan the man. Leadership attributes seems obvious to me.

We now have our first point of the season. 

Onwards comeades!

6 hours ago, Ritspeed said:

Any insight or thoughts on how Phillips fared as captain? 

How about 100 times better than Gordon.  I was amazed when he was given the captain band and there has sadly been nothing to show me he is a captain over the last few months   Giving Dan the job might help Gordon play better.

Heroic performance, watched it - thankfully without commentary on sellick tv.

19 corners to celtic, one to us. 75% possession etc, but they had no ideas. 

We played perfect rope a dope, nothing landed, we defended, and kept the concentration right to the end of the match, a thoroughly deserved 0 - 0 VICTORY!

Horsed them :)

Well, that was exactly what I was hoping for.

Proof that we have the ability to battle out a game to get full points when required.

That will be an important skill to have as the season goes on.

Mitov rightly gets all the plaudits. What a keeper!

Phillips can be proud of himself as well. I thought the captain's armband seemed to help make him go up a level.

Other mentions go to Robinson who I thought was excellent at left back. He looked like he'd been there for ages and didn't seem phased at all by the occasion.

McClelland looks like he's really coming on to a game now as well. I'm sure he will be a steady and reliable defender going forward.

Olufunwa did well. I thought he used his height and speed to good effect.

Smith was hard working and intelligent both on and off the nall.

Turner-Cooke looks the part. I think he'll really come on to a game.

Costelloe seems like a good addition. I think he will get better as time goes on and becomes more match fit.

Considine had his best game since probably around this time last year. McClelland and the other, younger defenders will benefit from his experience.

I noticed that we were playing out from the back a lot, looking for a team mate instead of simply lumping it forward as we would have done in the past.

MacLean is obviously looking to have a possession based style of playing and he was brave to use it at Celtic but it worked.

Definitely progress being made and a lot more to be positive about.

It will be interesting to see if the team can continue the momentum now by taking the good play into next Saturday.

Already getting excited for that one.

Edited by Gekko

Yeah that starting 11 deserve to keep their place, assuming they all stay fit, perhaps bar Jephcott who struggled in an impossible game for a lone striker. Some looked dead on their feet by the end but its great to see players working so hard that happens.

Those who were dropped now know the level they need to reach to get back into the side.

They have to keep this up though, zero point doing this and then not turning up v Dundee and losing. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Yeah that starting 11 deserve to keep their place, assuming they all stay fit, perhaps bar Jephcott who struggled in an impossible game for a lone striker. Some looked dead on their feet by the end but its great to see players working so hard that happens.

Those who were dropped now know the level they need to reach to get back into the side.

They have to keep this up though, zero point doing this and then not turning up v Dundee and losing. 

Jury still out on Jephcott. What we need is a player that can hold the ball up , win the ball in the air and score goals , Jephcott doesn't appear to be that man.

Keep the door shut at the back and as long as you have a striker that can put the ball in the net you have a chance , as long as you are not as negative as Callum Davidson.