Time For Change

Radford 72

Time for change?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Steven MacLean should be toast. His threats are as hollow as they come and must surely only be alienating a group of players we need to get a tune out of for the next 7 months because, make no mistake, we cannot throw money at this again in January.

Tactically he's hopeless as well.

The only defence for him now will be he took over in a tough situation and hasn't had much time. But neither is a reason to keep a manager that is still under performing, but also showing zero signs of having anything about him.

Sack him today before we fluke a win over the next fortnight then limp on for a few more weeks just doing more long-term damage.

Continuity was never the right approach when Davidson was emptied but I tried to get behind the appointment and was open to what he talked about doing in the summer. Every manager deserves that.

It's been a disaster though and I can't endure us making the same mistake as with Davidson and struggling on in this manner for a year plus longer than we should have.

Act now.

When Macca saved us from relegation and played some positive football at the end of last season I had high hopes for this season. Giving him a 3 year contract was ridiculous though when I am sure he would have signed a 1 year contract. 

Are we still paying Callum and can we afford to pay off or pay McLean for another two and half seasons.

If he doesn't walk then I would give him to the end of the first phase. If we are isolated after that then we have to bite the bullet and negotiate a pay off.

Whether he can get anything from those players after his post match comments is another matter.

Is it telling that no player interview after game on Saints TV.

25 minutes ago, Maskrey said:

Robbie Neilson is the man to go for but it will be a hard job for anyone as the recruitment has been abysmal.

Recruitment may still be the same as it looks Gus was involved in bringing in the loanees and maybe the signings as well.

It was raised many times that Mclean did not appreciate players having a different point of view to him resulting in them being isolated.  His treatment of McGowan and co seems much the same.  His words yesterday were all about "It's not my fault" despite him "taking responsibility."  From the way it appears the players have in effect downed tools, change is needed.  

Despite their service, the complete backroom staff should be gone as well.  The last three years has seen players lose the abilities they had when they came here.  The only constant has been extremely poor coaching.  

The only ray of hope is that when chairman previously Geoff did seem to know how to identify a manager.  (A small ray)  

As for names, I don't know.  Richardson ex-Wigan seems a decent shout as not from the Largs Non-football mafia tree but he'll probably be looking for something higher.  Ex saints like Attila and Dasovic perhaps.  I'd even take d*** Campbell as he'd certainly light a few backsides (for the season.)  

I've raised before contact Brighton and see who they see as the next up and coming manager or coach who'd benefit from a spell with us.  Their recruitment seems very good.  Maybe a tie up with them like Dundee are about to have with Burnley.

And punt the majority of the sub standard loanees back down south, they all think they are better than they are and possible this type of arrogance will make them.switch off from Macca,buy the other more senior players are all.like a man down no leaders at all, hone ate the days of a team of leaders no wonder Macca is frustrated, that and his lack of management and tactical skills, also again another legend but what is Liam Craig offering. Change now don't fanny around like Davidson he should have went at Kelty and don't think we would be in thus dire straight. Thanks Steve Brown you got the cups then completely destroyed it with your loyalty to Davidson.

Robbie Neilson no thanks what has he ever done? Must be better out there no the usual suspects like we used to get total left field appointments.

This may sound extreme but i think us fans need to gather at McDiarmid and have a peaceful protest regarding the running of the club as we are in the darkness here, something is well off. 

It just seems no one is interested at the club and we are rotting away! As fans this is our club that we love and only want the very best for and right now the board isn't interested and the players certainly aren't! They look like they dont care what is happening to the club as long as they get a pay packet. 

The appointment of MacLean was just sheer and utter laziness! He was part of the problem along with davidson and should have went!

At this point i would rather see some of the youths put into the team rather than these loans that dont give a toss and will return to their parent clubs! And the players we have brought in was just pure desperation! With no scouting done.. was almost like oh hes free lets take a chance on him and him, looked the right profile of players but ultimately they are very average players. Young stevens looked better than most the senior players in the cup games at the start of the season but he gets thrown out on loan.. boy could walk in that team right now!

MacLean still trying to play football manager on the pc is about to get us relegated. Sad times

Maclean should have gone with Davidson ( and that should have been 18 months before it was ).

Hes now had his chance and it’s time to go, Cleland , McPherson and sadly Liam Craig probably need to go as well, let someone come in and bring their own people.

Progression is great within the club when things going well but continuing the way we are is madness, some of Macleans decisions and interviews reek of Davidson.

The money it will cost to pay off these guys will no doubt hurt the club, so will doing nothing though.

54 minutes ago, GOB10 said:

This may sound extreme but i think us fans need to gather at McDiarmid and have a peaceful protest regarding the running of the club as we are in the darkness here, something is well off. 

It just seems no one is interested at the club and we are rotting away! As fans this is our club that we love and only want the very best for and right now the board isn't interested and the players certainly aren't! They look like they dont care what is happening to the club as long as they get a pay packet. 

The appointment of MacLean was just sheer and utter laziness! He was part of the problem along with davidson and should have went!

At this point i would rather see some of the youths put into the team rather than these loans that dont give a toss and will return to their parent clubs! And the players we have brought in was just pure desperation! With no scouting done.. was almost like oh hes free lets take a chance on him and him, looked the right profile of players but ultimately they are very average players. Young stevens looked better than most the senior players in the cup games at the start of the season but he gets thrown out on loan.. boy could walk in that team right now!

MacLean still trying to play football manager on the pc is about to get us relegated. Sad times

The problem is he tried youths in the league cup which theoretically if they were any good they could have coped with that but I suppose it was the old pros that let them down.

There does seem to be a problem at the top. The club is up for sale and we have a hands off 80 year old chairman"who I will always love" Stan "nice guy "and someone awaiting a court case as a board. Is that it.

1 hour ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Robbie Neilson no thanks what has he ever done? Must be better out there no the usual suspects like we used to get total left field appointments.

This for me, must be someone different from the usual merry go round of managers that get mentioned.

Bring someone in that will try something different.

Ideally he turns it round but I just can't see it. There are costs and hassle involved and aot of unknowns but after yesterday's performance and the post match comments I just can't see any way back for him.

Agree about the backroom staff although I think Craig should be retained - he's doing good work with the youths.

As for a replacement I'd like to avoid the usual suspects but given the budget and costs involved in a change I feel our choices will be limited. But that's not enough of a justification for avoiding removing the current manager 

14 minutes ago, Strawman said:

Maclean should have gone with Davidson ( and that should have been 18 months before it was ).

Hes now had his chance and it’s time to go, Cleland , McPherson and sadly Liam Craig probably need to go as well, let someone come in and bring their own people.

Progression is great within the club when things going well but continuing the way we are is madness, some of Macleans decisions and interviews reek of Davidson.

The money it will cost to pay off these guys will no doubt hurt the club, so will doing nothing though.

Yeah a clean sweep was needed really, with at least a couple of new voices in the coaching staff. You can see why the club was reluctant to remove MacLea, Craig and Cleland during a Summer that promised a lot of change, but sentimentality rarely works in football.

Neilson wouldn't come, IMO, regardless of what you think of him. Hes not going to want to follow Hearts up with a relegation on his CV and we're, bizarrely, more likely to get him after relegation so he can add another title to it.

I'd been hoping we'd have gone for Darrell Clarke in the Summer. Been working his way through the EFL and only family tragedy seemed to derail that and see him slump and out a job. He's rebuilt sides before to a good degree. Not a flashy appointment or anything but just a relatively experienced, relatively young, guy trying to find their way again. Hes got a job now though so *shrugs*

Yes - Unfortunately for me.

There has been no improvement in the team from our poor results in the league cup, other then the two late goals against Dundee, we have had no spark at all.

When I read his press conferences he talks a great game, he comes accross to me like Totten who also talked a good game in the press but his teams played with more substance then this lot.

Macca in the press to me is a used car salesman he could be a part owner of a law firm with dodgy in the name.

He has learnt nothing from CD and our team hasn’t improved at all under him.

Watching us now it’s a matter of waiting for the opposition to score and you know that we are going to lose the game.

As I said it’s unfortunate but it’s time to go.

Don’t like taking someone’s job away, but it’s not working, our team lacks pace all over the park, laboured passing, little incisive passes at all, Dino is in Perth next weekend,😎 Ian Murray done well at Raith and McPake at Dunfermline, Martindale would’ve done much more with our budget, than last two managers. Voted no but quick improvement, meaning next two games

Edited by dave mc

36 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

Yes - Unfortunately for me.

There has been no improvement in the team from our poor results in the league cup, other then the two late goals against Dundee, we have had no spark at all.

When I read his press conferences he talks a great game, he comes accross to me like Totten who also talked a good game in the press but his teams played with more substance then this lot.

Macca in the press to me is a used car salesman he could be a part owner of a law firm with dodgy in the name.

He has learnt nothing from CD and our team hasn’t improved at all under him.

Watching us now it’s a matter of waiting for the opposition to score and you know that we are going to lose the game.

As I said it’s unfortunate but it’s time to go.

Agree with all you say. 

Although not sure about the comparison with Totten on many fronts. Totten at least looked like a Manager 😊

65075DD5-B1EE-49E1-8FD0-AC5D1D13220A.png