The Split

pezza70

We were comfortable for two halves against ICT, no more IMO. The tie was very much in the balance at half time of the second leg and ICT had missed a decent chance in the first half.

But aye, with that group of player we were always likely to drag something out of it. I'll never forget seeing Davidson screaming at Rooney to stay back while he charged forward for the 4th goal though, that kind of player mindset is what we lack just now. Nobody out there who just thinks "**** it, I'll do it myself".

I'd be worried about this side going away midweek against a side full of confidence, and how Levein would have us approaching the second leg.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

But aye, with that group of player we were always likely to drag something out of it.

Is this not a bit of a myth about that group of players? They were absolutely rotten for most of that season, and deservedly in the relegation play-off. They weren't good enough to drag us out of finishing second bottom of the league, or to drag us through a cup tie against Kelty. At the point of the split, they had fewer points, fewer goals and a lower league position than our current team does now. 

I'm just not sure why people seem to have this view that that team somehow had a better chance of getting through a play-off than the current team would.

7 hours ago, blueheaven said:

People were saying the same thing last time we were in the play-offs and we ended up beating ICT pretty comfortably. Those teams have scored their goals at a significantly lower level than the one we're playing at. Since the play-offs began, they've only been won three times by the Championship club. All the others have been won by the Premiership club.

I wouldn't exactly call myself confident about going into a play-off but we'd definitely be favourites and I think our chances would be decent.

You were comfortable? 😅

I still feel the way we emphatically ended that game added to Davidson staying on to cause more damage. Could not believe people were applauding him when he did his solo lap of honour, unless they believed they were saying goodbye?

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Is this not a bit of a myth about that group of players? They were absolutely rotten for most of that season, and deservedly in the relegation play-off. They weren't good enough to drag us out of finishing second bottom of the league, or to drag us through a cup tie against Kelty. At the point of the split, they had fewer points, fewer goals and a lower league position than our current team does now. 

I'm just not sure why people seem to have this view that that team somehow had a better chance of getting through a play-off than the current team would.

That team had an in-form Callum Hendry at least.

While I’m not enjoying the football on show at present, I’m really not sure about Levein , the negative football, his lack of substitutions, his complete blinkered approach when it comes to Max and his same approach in a negative way towards Stevie May, there is also a lot of negativity from the fans which is MAYBE over the top. ( I keep the right to react horribly when we lose our next game )

The bottom 6, Livingston are gone, no way are we getting automatically relegated, in a way our management team have succeeded in that respect.

5 teams could still finish second bottom and face the play off, Motherwell and Hibs look unlikely but Aberdeen for sure could be dragged into it if the fixtures and results go that way. Just say Ross County beat Aberdeen first after split game and we beat Livingston, suddenly its panic in Aberdeen.

In a way, Ross County improving and getting results could be a good thing for us.

Think I’m right in saying, looking at the last game against each of the bottom 6, we’ve won against Ross County, Hibs and Aberdeen, drawn with Livingston and Motherwell, that’s got to give us hope.

We know we can get points from these teams, even playing the way we have been.

IMG_3265.jpeg

You would think the fixtures would be out today but there will probably be a hold up whilst police and SKY can decide when OF game can be played. No reason why they can't release bottom 6 fixtures but they won't do that.

Our recent result against Dundee and Ross County's against Rangers have been real bummers for me.  However, we are where we are and we'll all have views on why. 

I really do hope we put angst aside and get behind the team during these next five games.  The recovery of a patient on a sick bed is unlikely to be enhanced if his visitors tell him he looks awful and on his last legs! 

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

You would think the fixtures would be out today but there will probably be a hold up whilst police and SKY can decide when OF game can be played. No reason why they can't release bottom 6 fixtures but they won't do that.

https://x.com/stvsport/status/1779793659530973441?s=46&t=OLddCCDMPmc8qGiSVzgghg

Waiting until after the Dundee game. 

Edited by PSJ.84

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

This really annoys me - computer should just produce the fixtures randomly (maybe with restrictions like no two teams from same city playing at home on the same day) and we'll see what we get. Having to change or adapt the fixtures on the basis of anticipated crowd trouble or size of TV audience interferes with sporting integrity IMO.

22 hours ago, blueheaven said:

It's a character thing. For me Rooney, Muzz and Hendry on that park meant there was always someone going to drag a performance out when needed and inject some aggression into things.

I don't know who in this current team is like that. Phillips, Carey, Sidibeh maybe but to me they're different and softer.

On 4/14/2024 at 2:38 PM, Broggy Man said:

You know it might do us good to go down cause we really are bad

Don't be silly, it would do us no good to go down. We have a realistic chance to punt 15 or more players at the end of this season without relegation. The soon to be new owners have seemingly said Premiership status is a must for any sale to go through. Do folk seriously think relegation is a good thing?

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

This is ridiculous.  We know the top and bottom 6. It seems to be to avoid an old firm fixture being a decider. Simple , make the OF game the second game as everyone knows what will happen .

Just announced anyway 🤣

11 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Could have been worse. Ross Co midweek might give us a slight advantage with a lower travelling support. Well away on the last game has bad flashbacks though to the last relegation decider there.

Don't remind me! Very bitter memories.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

It's a character thing. For me Rooney, Muzz and Hendry on that park meant there was always someone going to drag a performance out when needed and inject some aggression into things.

I don't know who in this current team is like that. Phillips, Carey, Sidibeh maybe but to me they're different and softer.

Carey!!!! Wtf!!! He just stamps his feet and looks at everyone with disgust like he is shocked that they are a pro footballer and that they aren’t worthy to be on the same pitch as him.

Dragging a performance out of your teammates is a very different thing to chastising them and moaning that they aren’t good enough.

5 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Carey!!!! Wtf!!! He just stamps his feet and looks at everyone with disgust like he is shocked that they are a pro footballer and that they aren’t worthy to be on the same pitch as him.

Dragging a performance out of your teammates is a very different thing to chastising them and moaning that they aren’t good enough.

Yeah was kind of the point I (poorly) tried to make. Carey should be that type, he's heavily experienced and has quality to win matches with moments of quality, but there's something lacking there and he doesn't drag a team through games like those in the past could.

On 4/15/2024 at 3:54 PM, garydavidson said:

You were comfortable? 😅

I still feel the way we emphatically ended that game added to Davidson staying on to cause more damage. Could not believe people were applauding him when he did his solo lap of honour, unless they believed they were saying goodbye?

I don’t recall a solo lap of honour from Davidson. I recall him waiting for Zander Clark and then staying glued to him like a velcro puppy while he did his lap of honour.

7 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Don't be silly, it would do us no good to go down. We have a realistic chance to punt 15 or more players at the end of this season without relegation. The soon to be new owners have seemingly said Premiership status is a must for any sale to go through. Do folk seriously think relegation is a good thing?

That's my thought. We are absolutely awful at the moment, but we somehow need to get wins from somewhere and completely build a team for the top flight next season. We are where we are because the majority of our playing staff are nowhere near good enough at this level.