Understanding Rowan Vine

Dave Ferg

To be honest I thought he was wasted playing out wide and we never really saw the full extent of his capabilities. However, that goal against Celtic will go down as one of my favourite moments as a Saints fan and I'm sure we won't forget his energetic celebrations any time soon! All the best to him.

Per his Twitter posts today  - he did not get an official message from the club ....

Got a few msgs here from the St Johnstone fans..don't know what's been reported..but obvs something about me not staying..enlighten me??

oh right...havent seen the tommy wright interview...confirmed ive left or confirmed ive had no contact whatsoever from the club...

if that is the case then..cheers guys...thanks for treating me with loads of respect and the courtesy of a phone call..

i obviously left when my contract ended in may but was always open to the idea of staying...think i made 37 apps..so must have done ok..

like to thank the supporters anyway,always seem to like me and hope you enjoyed my stint there..good luck to the boys and tommy and callum

I find it hard to believe the club would not have contacted him or his agent to tell them we would not be renewing his contract.

Surely that conversation always takes place?

SJFC should pick up the phone now and give the man a call if only to apologize for a lack of professionalism...or to offer him a deal ffs saints ??

Really surprised by this - I thought he was a cracking player who was essentially an automatic starter for us. I don't think there are many players with his vision and finishing ability who'll be willing to come to Saints. Surely we can't be genuinely looking at people like Daley if we're letting a much better player like Vine go?

Bit disappointed in Saints' lack of communication with the guy too. The club has handled the Brittain situation perfectly, but I'd probably rather see a bit of time spent on being courteous to players who actually want to play for us.

I'm pretty sure the club let him know before the end of the season that there would be no contract offered. Seemed pretty obvious when he was the only player who didn't come out to celebrate on the pitch after the Motherwell game.

I'm a bit disappointed as I thought he was a class act, but maybe we couldn't afford him.

I personally would have kept Vine over Tade. Vine was actually our attacking player who impressed me the most last season. If true, I'm highly disappointed in the way this has been dealt with. It's far from acceptable to leave a player in the dark on these matters.

I agree with that, Have Vine over Tade any day. Will be gutted to see him go, although could be frustratingly waste full of times he had the skill and confidence to take on defenders and get the ball forward, also as mentioned great passing vision

I suspect the decision between him and Tade came down to wages.  I'd be surprised if anyone who is still at Saints gets more than Vine would have done last year.  I guess when it's an option of a year extension on a contract it would be on the same terms (or pre-agreed terms upon signing the original contract).  I think its just fact that we have to reduce outgoings.  I'd rather lose a few players than end up like the Jam Tarts.

Yeah for sure and if that’s the case then these things have to be done, although he seems genuinely disappointed to move on so maybe stay with drop in wages but you would assume that would have been discussed and sorted if was to be the case

I'm pretty sure the club let him know before the end of the season that there would be no contract offered. Seemed pretty obvious when he was the only player who didn't come out to celebrate on the pitch after the Motherwell game.

I'm a bit disappointed as I thought he was a class act, but maybe we couldn't afford him.

He was on the pitch and in the phots after the lap of honour.

from what I heard he was as of Sunday still waiting to see if the lcub were going to offer him a contract.