Dundee V Saints 27/02/2013

sjfc.spl.09-10

I am not attending the matches, but how often in recent weeks have I read that Liam Craig didn't have a good game. Now everybody in the team is allowed to have the odd off day or a wee run of "off form" but this seems more than that ??

Are you trying to suggest this has been since he signed for Hibs?

Tommy Wright came out and said that Liam has been poor this season and that he had a great couple of games after signing their contract.

Really bad time to lose the two goals just before half time and full time. Was it a case of a few players switching off?

Another tactical nightmare. 4-5-1 does work when you play players out of position. Liam Craig is no right midfielder and Vine is not a left sided midfielder. Abeid and Millar looked lost in a 3 central midfield set up. Harkins ripped through them too easily.

As for the defenders. Apart from MacKay, they were nervous wrecks. Inability to communicate or even follow men.

Both Dundees goals came because of daydreaming.

MacLean works his arse off chasing balls humped up to him every week with this set up and when he gets it the midfield are 30 yards behind.

2-1 up, them down to ten men, our corner with 2 mins left and we bottle it.

To be fair on Dundee a draw was a fair result as they created more chances than us. We created feck all until they went down to ten.

Think that's 6 points dropped to easily this season.

2 points dropped due to Mannus in the last minute, Should have done alot better with that shot. Cracks never had much of a game, Frazer Wright was effectively defending for Two. McLean upfront by himself?

DISAGREE with the Alan Manus bit --Left exposed by a defence that stood still - other than that you didnt do bad --Blue star.

Mannus had no chance with the second goal, some folk seem to want him to be shite.

As for the result, I wasn't there and I didn't see any streams, cause I was working. But ok we probably should have won, despite being outplayed. But surely I can't be the only one thinking it wasn;t a bad result?? Nobody gained ground, only Motherwell moved further ahead adn they were above us already, only the 3 teams above us have games in hand, plus the 3 who are out of it. We have an easier run ni than others, I reckon 6 points will be enough to see us top 6, then push on. I think Aberdeen are out of it actually, due to the way they are playing. Killie and United are erratic and Hibs will need Griffiths to keep his form going. Plus County, Aberdeen and Hibs all have to play Celtic (albeit after last night then thats maybe not an issue). So you could claim they are effectively playing for 9 points.

But then that's just me, a win and we were there I think, but we're still in the driving seat, 2/4 wins is easily achievable.

2 points dropped due to Mannus in the last minute, Should have done alot better with that shot. Cracks never had much of a game, Frazer Wright was effectively defending for Two. McLean upfront by himself?

what??????

Christ, the guy blasted it from about 6 yards!!! Mannus actually reacted well and almost got a hand to it. Have you forgotten the two saves Mannus made at 1-1 that probably stopped us getting a doing?? My flabber is well and truly gasted at that utterly ridiculous statement and I can only presume you are fishing

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but it was a very disappointing performance, which would have been forgiven were it not for the tinks' late equaliser. Only players to get pass marks from me would be Mannus, Mackay and Cregg. I still think Tade should have been on from the start tonight. He would have got in behind their defence and caused chaos. His introduction came too late.

Apart from Cregg the midfield was rank rotten. Cracks never passed the ball to a skyblue shirt once. Frustrating as hell, but thank God we didn't lose.

i havent seen a replay yet but was there 2nd offside? it certainly looked like it from where we were stood, plus we should of had a deffinate penalty in the 1st for handball, we didnt deserve to win tonight we were 2nd best our midfield was non existant, the times we should of passed wide when vine or griag were in good positions was unreal, instead we just played the ball backwards most the night.

they were there for the taking, you can easily see why there bottom of the league but lets focus on hearts next week and get 3 points,

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but it was a very disappointing performance, which would have been forgiven were it not for the tinks' late equaliser. Only players to get pass marks from me would be Mannus, Mackay and Cregg. I still think Tade should have been on from the start tonight. He would have got in behind their defence and caused chaos. His introduction came too late.

Apart from Cregg the midfield was rank rotten. Cracks never passed the ball to a skyblue shirt once. Frustrating as hell, but thank God we didn't lose.

I think when we signed Cracks the United fans said he would have one good game for every 2 bad. Looks like they were right.

what??????

Christ, the guy blasted it from about 6 yards!!! Mannus actually reacted well and almost got a hand to it. Have you forgotten the two saves Mannus made at 1-1 that probably stopped us getting a doing?? My flabber is well and truly gasted at that utterly ridiculous statement and I can only presume you are fishing

Fair enough he was kept us in a few games but over the course of the season he has cost us more points than he has won

Fair enough he was kept us in a few games but over the course of the season he has cost us more points than he has won

Firstly, that doesn't qualify your statement about him costing us a win last night, and, secondly, you are just spouting pish

Edited by Edstar101

Seething.

Having said that, I don't think that we were quite as poor as some people are suggesting. It was certainly a different class of football match from the last game between these two sides. Both teams largely kept the ball on the deck and passed it well at times.

However, that isn't enough to win a football match, even against Dundee. The formation was wrong, there was a lack of direct forward movement, and the attitude was disappointing at best. Steven MacLean said in his post-match interview, 'Perhaps we did the wrong thing at the end. We should have run the ball into the corner.'

I totally disagree with him. There's no excuse for ever running the ball into the corner and attempting to waste time against a poor Dundee outfit, especially when they're one man short. What the team should have done, Steven, was try to actually add to their lead instead of passing the ball around in a totally cavalier and casual manner.

Tade hasn't been at his best recently, but it became quite clear that the game was crying out for someone like him who actually runs forward with the ball and is direct in his play. He caused their defence problems as I expected he would.

I'm fed up with this 'one up front' nonsense. No excuse for playing in such a manner against most SPL sides. Dundee deserved a draw over the piece and perhaps, considering the chances they had, even more than that.

So, actually, we were probably as poor as some people are suggesting.

When will Lomas realise that playing 4-1-4-1 or 4-5-1 not work with players we have. Craig and Vine are asked to support McLean but neither have the pace to do it, Liam Craig needs to move back to the left hand side of the park or not play at all. He took off Abeid who was our only midfielder capable of reaching McLean to offer him support.

Tam Scobie is a first division left back and Vine looks unfit. On a positive note McLeans hold up play was superb..

lomas has been watching too much madrid where Ronaldo n Di Maria cut in on their stronger foot to shoot, Vine has done this a few times but Liam is struggling big time on the right.

if we are going to play 433/451 then Liam has to play behind/next to Vine. This would mean a vacant spot on the wide right. I'd give Nigel or Abeid the chance their, unfortunately when Nigel has played he also has tended to play on the left.

Alternatively go 442 put Vine up with Maclean and Liam has his favoured position back

Edited by 541ntees

It was clear last night that we were missing Muzz i.e. someone who wins the ball back in midfield or at the very least retains it and drives forward either on or off the ball. At times in the 2nd half we seemed to have the whole pitch to move into but Cregg just isn't the player to push forward into the space and Miller seemed to be getting bossed around in the middle of the park.

I feel for Maclean as I think his control of the ball, no matter how it's humped up to him, is fantastic he just needs someone to pass it to and he puts a hell of shift in glad he got a goal. I cannot for the life of me see how anyone who's watched the game can blame Mannus for the 2nd goal.

Overall though I think we need a change of formation as teams seem to have sussed us out a bit and we didn't help ourselves by not closing the ball down in the same way we did against Hibs. I also feel that we should not need to be wasting time to try and hold on to a 2-1 at Dens, when they are down to 10 men. Still in the top 6 but I't going to need a lot more graft and a bit more composure all over the field to stay there with all the teams around us going on a bit of a run at the moment and all our opposition seemingly getting new management just before they play us.