Saints V Partick Thistle 28/9/13

glenrothes saintee

I just feel that creative players like Wotherspoon are covering underperformances from Muzz, Millar, Cregg (less so today) and MacDonald.

The quality performances against Rosenborg and Ross County were created by the holding midfielders being outstanding and letting the others play.

Exactly, watching those performances against Rosenborg and RC had me thinking we'd be challenging at the top with a midfield that could outfight anyone. What's happened to them?

Spoony and Cregg both seem to have lost form, and Davidson was a passenger today, looked totally uninterested in spells, and even took his booking like a petulant schoolboy who didn't care a toss.

Our best midfield performances have come when we have played a 4-2-3-1 or a variation there of a 5 man midfield. We were 4v5 most of the game as McLean and may were sitting up top not dropping back.

I think that's exactly right, but the problem then is whether to leave out MacLean, arguably our best player, or May, out most instinctive striker and one who strikes fear in defences. I can totally understand why TW is persevering with 4-4-2, but I think it's time to either play MacLean deeper in a 4-2-3-1 or drop him and play 4-5-1 with May up front.

Edited by montrosesaintee

I think that's exactly right, but the problem then is whether to leave out MacLean, arguably our best player, or May, out most instinctive striker and one who strikes fear in defences. I can totally understand why TW is persevering with 4-4-2, but I think it's time to either play MacLean deeper in a 4-2-3-1 or drop him and play 4-5-1 with May up front.

I can see the thinking here but think it would be very unfair to leave out either of the two Stevie M's.

Arguably our best two players today and I think better to come.

I just feel that creative players like Wotherspoon are covering underperformances from Muzz, Millar, Cregg (less so today) and MacDonald.

The quality performances against Rosenborg and Ross County were created by the holding midfielders being outstanding and letting the others play.

What has happened to the team that started the season ?.Up to 20 mins in the united game we were playing the best football we have for a few seasons.Cregg & Wotherspoon were probably our best players & now they are poor.

The way things are going we will be in the bottom 3 not the top 3.

What has happened to the team that started the season ?.Up to 20 mins in the united game we were playing the best football we have for a few seasons.Cregg & Wotherspoon were probably our best players & now they are poor.

The way things are going we will be in the bottom 3 not the top 3.

:shock:

Cregg has been arguably our best player, especially in the period since 20 mins in to the Utd game! 

Wotherspoon had a good start to the season but I fear he is beginning to look like David Wotherspoon the hibs player who struggled to start regularly in a pish team, as opposed to David Wotherspoon the saints player who was first name on the team sheet for the first few games of the season

a few folk saying we looked lethargic and a old boy at the match yesterday saying we looked sort of pace, added to these comments is the fact that in the last couple of weeks Callum has been taking full charge of the warm ups and training with no sign of the fitness coach. Has there been changes in the backroom??

a few folk saying we looked lethargic and a old boy at the match yesterday saying we looked sort of pace, added to these comments is the fact that in the last couple of weeks Callum has been taking full charge of the warm ups and training with no sign of the fitness coach. Has there been changes in the backroom??

Thought you were the training spy?

I believe the fitness coach is still there but I think he is only part time with the club?

Easton was solid yesterday and won everything. Plus his distribution is better than Scobbie's and IMO he is quicker and has a better engine.

So I'm glad he's in the team.

---------------------------

I'm amazed he's a professional athlete,he is huge and lacks agility,not as good as Scobbie for me

Reality check needed for a few fans on here, we are in a sticky patch at the moment, but we are acting like we are 10 points adrift at the bottom of the table.

No, it's called recognising that things are not so good at the moment. What would you rather do, not discuss it until we ARE 10 points adrift at the foot of the table (not that that will be the scenario, but you get my drift)

I think an awful lot of people are reacting to the weekend's result on the basis that Partick are the newly promoted team and therefore the least able.  Bollocks.  Partick are a potential top six side, based upon their performances so far.  One of the best passing and attacking sides in the league.  We did enough to win the game on Saturday, but a draw was probably fair.  If we played like that most weeks, we would get three points.  Surely the knowledge that we can play better than that should be encouraging!!

I think an awful lot of people are reacting to the weekend's result on the basis that Partick are the newly promoted team and therefore the least able.  Bollocks.  Partick are a potential top six side, based upon their performances so far.  One of the best passing and attacking sides in the league.  We did enough to win the game on Saturday, but a draw was probably fair.  If we played like that most weeks, we would get three points.  Surely the knowledge that we can play better than that should be encouraging!!

I didn't go on Saturday so can't comment on the performance or your assertion that we 'did enough to win' (this contradicts most of what I have heard).

My concern is that we have only achieved 2 pts from the last possible 15 (I think). In a league where we like to think that (Celtic apart) we are at least the equal if not better than the rest of the teams, then that is a worrying return, whatever way you paint it. Games can come down to the odd bit of luck, or missed chance, but the concern must be the teams ability to win these encounters, whether that is down to desire, belief, tactics or whatever.

It's not panic stations yet, but in a period of games where we have had few concerns due to suspensions or injury, then I think some are right to be concerned.....and why shouldn't a supporter who wants their team to do well be concerned? It doesn't show a lack of support, if anything, the opposite

Edited by Edstar101

Our performances against Dundee Utd, Aberdeen and Hibs were poor, but the second half against Celtic was good, Hamilton sounded decent enough on the radio and from feedback on here.  I thought Saturday was getting back to a better standard of football again.  However, where we excelled against Ross County, because they gave us room to play, Partick were continually in our faces all over the park.  Unlike Minsk or Hibs, they did this fairly, without persistent fouling, so we can't even look at the referee for blame.  I genuinely thought Partick were excellent on Saturday, and were they not playing against us I would happily say they were great entertainment.

Rather like us last season, if Partick had a clinical finisher, they'd be a dangerous team for anyone in the league.

In the second half on Saturday, I though we competed well all over the park, and while they made it very difficult, we created a couple of decent chances and probably should have buried one or two of them.  Also, having seen the highlights, we should have had a penalty, but I can see why the ref missed it.

Really, all I'm saying is that doom and gloom was appropriate a few weeks ago, but to start panicking now when we are looking better and better again seems pointless.

Edited by montrosesaintee

My concern is that we have only achieved 2 pts from the last possible 15 (I think). In a league where we like to think that (Celtic apart) we are at least the equal if not better than the rest of the teams,

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tommy-wright-admits-st-johnstone-2311411

"LAST season the Perthshire Saints finished in the top six and qualified for Europe, but manager Tommy Wright has told fans that they may have to lower their expectation levels this term."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tommy-wright-admits-st-johnstone-2311411

"LAST season the Perthshire Saints finished in the top six and qualified for Europe, but manager Tommy Wright has told fans that they may have to lower their expectation levels this term."

Yes, yes, heard all that, but that doesn't mean that we still can't hope that we do well.

Also, and I have discussed this before, WHY should our expectations be any lower? Have other teams around us suddenly got amazingly better?? Are we not the team in the one of the better financial positions? Is our squad not as good as those that would challenge us for top 6 again???

Tell me the reasons again why we should just all sit back and not discuss our concerns with recent form and just be happy to accept a poor season (and I am not saying it will be a poor season...long way to go). Highlight exactly why we shouldn't expect to finish top 6