Gary Macdonald

Broon

Does Gary MacDonald deserve to start for saints?  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not a fan of starting threads about specific players and most of our team were stinking today but for me when Chris Millar saw more of the ball in 20 mins than he did in the entire game I'm going to make an exception. 

Tommy Wright obviously sees something that I don't. Personally I feel we bypass tbe midfield when he plays because he doesn't want the ball and we end up going over the top. I'm fed up watching him. 

So, do you think he deserves to start for Saints?

Different player to Millar. Dont like MacDonald particularly to be honest but he is the only midfielder we have in that mould.

The team as a whole should take more flak than just GM.

Nigels touches were honking tonight(a lot to do with the pitch), Gary Miller cant pick a pass(lacks creativity and foresight), James Dunne caught napping a few times(played ok, but lets the ball run across his body too often and his moving from side to side is predictable), Croft very rarely beat his man, Clancy was weak going forward and defensivley, Macca gave the ball away too often, good goal but Mannus could have got a stronger wrist to it. Millar and Wotherspoon looked keen and energetic when they came on but why does it take being dropped and coming on as a second half sub 1-0 at home for you to get your finger out and put a shift in.

Ando and Cuptie only just scraped half pass marks.

Start of the season - I thought he was surprisingly effective. A very consistent performer.

Middle of the season - He started to perform very poorly and I couldn't understand why Tommy Wright continued to pick him despite his tendency to shy away from the ball at all costs. His passing rarely took the team anywhere other than backwards.

The past month or so - I think he has been very good in recent games (Raith Rovers, Motherwell and Dundee United). Today, he was awful. So was everyone though. I think dropping him at this very moment in time, after a few much-improved performances, would be a tad harsh.

Start of the season - I thought he was surprisingly effective. A very consistent performer.

Middle of the season - He started to perform very poorly and I couldn't understand why Tommy Wright continued to pick him despite his tendency to shy away from the ball at all costs. His passing rarely took the team anywhere other than backwards.

The past month or so - I think he has been very good in recent games (Raith Rovers, Motherwell and Dundee United). Today, he was awful. So was everyone though. I think dropping him at this very moment in time, after a few much-improved performances, would be a tad harsh.

Apart from his goal last week he was shite a well.

Quite happy when he's performing well,and he was fine on Wednesday,but he should've been subbed instead of Dunne for me today,and i'd have started Spoony instead of him anyway,more energy and gets passed men better.All the other players that have dropped off in form have been rested bar Gary Mac,and he'd maybe benefit from a rest.He wasn't the only poor player today,but seems to be always the fall guy for every defeat.

He was immense at home with Cregg v Rosenborg but I have no idea what's going on.

He's scored a could but loses the ball and gives away possession quite a bit.

Looked lost today with the mixer bowl midfield we were playing and overrun by technically better midfielders.

Think he needs a rest.

I'm not a fan of starting threads about specific players and most of our team were stinking today but for me when Chris Millar saw more of the ball in 20 mins than he did in the entire game I'm going to make an exception. 

Tommy Wright obviously sees something that I don't. Personally I feel we bypass tbe midfield when he plays because he doesn't want the ball and we end up going over the top. I'm fed up watching him. 

So, do you think he deserves to start for Saints?

Love child

Another Saints fan (Radford perhaps) summed McDonald up for me a while ago...

When he plays well, we play well. When he plays badly, we play badly. I am not sure whether it's his performance influencing the team or the team influencing his performance but the two definitely go hand in hand. I'm not going to join the onslaught and make him my scapegoat for tonight. He didn't do anything wrong. I like him a lot at times and at other times he has deserved to be substituted. It is very hit or miss with McDonald.

He does need dropped , even if it was to recharge whatever he has to recharge . Stevie May needs dropped too . Just for a couple of games .

I think we all know this is never going to happen though , eh ?

I thought before the game that today would be a good day to drop may...

Edited by St. Paddy

May was always going to have a wee dip in form and teams are more aware of him now, but still always capable of winning a game. Gary Mc hides too much in games and for a big guy floats about the edge of the tackling in the middle and seems to be immune to be taken off, saying that there were a few others that didn't cover themselves in glory today

no saints player tonight got pass marks

but yet we have 2 pages on 1 player

i hope the players and the manager never reads this forum

i know if you pay your money you are entitled to slag off any one you like

by the way no saints player is going to be world class because he is getting abuse

Edited by lmsaintee

no saints player tonight got pass marks

but yet we have 2 pages on 1 player

i hope the players and the manager never reads this forum

i know if you pay your money you are entitled to slag off any one you like

by the way no saints player is going to be world class because he is getting abuse

I hope they do read this. 90% want him dropped. It appears our manager is one of a select few who believe he does deserve a place in the team.

As for your comment on world class. None of our players are even close to being class. However what we need at this level is players who are brave who want the ball and contribute to games. Macdonald for me is a shite bag of the highest order on the football field and that's why he's getting a thread to himself.

Edited by Broon

Tbh is playing any worse than say Mackay,Nigel or Anderson.

You mean today's MOM Anderson? And Nigel who burst a gut today in the first half tracking back and although was poor going forward at least worked hard. And who also scored a beauty last weekend?