Random Saints Related Questions

sleepless

Always liked Sweet Caroline.

I quite like football teams having random 'non football' songs i.e. Killie-paper roses, Wolves-Wand'rin' Star, West Ham-Blowing Bubbles.

The fact that Sweet Caroline was played over the tannoy post Semi final and Final surely cements it as our song.

P.S. Anyone who heard me and Midgey's karaoke version at POTY may never want to hear it again!!

I remember midge singing dignity by deacon blue that night as well, cracking sing along tune but some utd fans seem to claim it cos the singer was allegedly an Arab. The boy was on fire though!!

A discovery for me in the build up to the final was the tune steamroller by the family cats, had never heard it before but has definitely made it onto the sjfc playlist for me. The third line is poetry!!......

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lL48CZRC9NE

the floodlight pylons cam fae Muirton Park Did They Not ????????????

The required regalvinising before erection @McD 

Correct. Think they were originally installed in 1963 or 64, although I could be wrong.

Edited by Denzil

Correct. Think they were originally installed in 1963 or 64, although I could be wrong.

I think they were installed in 64/65 as I was at the game to officially "open" the floodlights it was against West Ham United ( Bobby Moore, Martin Peters et al ! ) who had just won the 1965 European Cup Winners Cup (the cup was paraded round the Muirton Park track ).

http://www.perthsaints.co.uk/newsitemsdetail.php?param=474

"Back on the pitch, or to be precise high above it, the club have made a very substantial investment to replace the floodlights and all associated cabling for the new season. The pylons (the original ones installed at Muirton Park in 1964) remain in place but the existing light fittings and bulbs are no longer strong enough for modern television requirements and are being replaced - the increased level of lighting will be provided by half the number of bulbs! The associated cabling - now 20 years old - is also being replaced."

So we know they have been with Saints since 1964 but no idea how old they actually are ;)

Edited by garydavidson

The floodlights were installed in 1964 and were first used in the match against Hearts on 28/11/64 a 3 - 0 defeat, also in match against Dunfermline on 12/12/64 a 3 - 1 defeat. The official switch on was 16/12/64 with FA Cup holders West Ham United as opposition who paraded the trophy at Muirton Park, West Ham won the game 4 - 3.

West Ham won the European Cup Winners Cup later in the season defeating 1860 Munich 2 - 0 in the final at Wembley.. 

At the time motorists using the Dunkeld Road complained to the Police that they were being dazzled by the Muirton Park lights.

Aye aye aye aye

We are the Crazy Young Saints

Wherever we go, we fear no foe

Cos we are the crazy young Saints

Aye aye aye aye

Donaldson's better than Yashin

John Connolly's better than Eusebio

And Henry is better than anyone, anyone, anyone.....

We were belting that one out as recently as the night before the game in the pub in Vaasa

Jim

Aye aye aye aye

We are the Crazy Young Saints

Wherever we go, we fear no foe

Cos we are the crazy young Saints

Aye aye aye aye

Donaldson's better than Yashin

John Connolly's better than Eusebio

And Henry is better than anyone, anyone, anyone.....

We were belting that one out as recently as the night before the game in the pub in Vaasa

Jim

Its amazing what you forget 

Got hazy recollections of Vaasa but seem to remember local paper noting that our anthem was ``stand up if you hate Dundee''

Yeah - remember that too - probably stems from the march from the town centre to the ground where we regularly sat down and stood up in hatred of our neebors 22 miles downstream.  Was indeed however one helluva trip - JUST beaten by Esksehir for me.

Perth  St. Johnstone are the champions,

We're the best team in the land,

Henry Hall is the general 

And the leader of the band,

Goodbye Partick Thistle farewell Aberdeen

And to Hell with Kilmarnock and Dunfermline

Willie Waddell and Jock Stein!

Sung to the tune of It's Along Way To Tipperary