Saints Development League Thread

lethamsaintee

Unless your Messi or Ronaldo, natural talent is 20% of the player. 80% is an open mindset for learning, hardwork and dedication.

I would give the Academy another couple of years to show it's full benefit.

I think it's doing ok. People who expect instant results are a bit daft.

There's one or two who look like they'll do well, from what I have seen but you just never know.

Am I right in thinkin that Alex Kitchen was the only one from that group "signed" rather than just local?
Shame it didn't work out for him and I hope he finds another club, but another one to add to the lengthy list of our failed English youth signings.

I quite like the policy but we haven't had much luck out of it

While I understand social demographics are a big part of youth football now I believe that if you are hungry to succeed it should not matter what background you have.

Interestingly some BPL clubs are now screening players and if they have two with the same ability and desire they will go with the one with a stable family background.

Basically screening parents, that would be interesting in Scottish football!!

Interestingly some BPL clubs are now screening players and if they have two with the same ability and desire they will go with the one with a stable family background.

Basically screening parents, that would be interesting in Scottish football!!

Crikey, we'd better hope Hibs don't look on here and read Edstar's posts ;)

Seriously That's pretty poor though. Can't follow your dream because your parents aren't up to scratch.

Am I right in thinkin that Alex Kitchen was the only one from that group "signed" rather than just local?

Shame it didn't work out for him and I hope he finds another club, but another one to add to the lengthy list of our failed English youth signings.

I think Buchanan and Evans both came from down south - I'm sure Evans is another of the young Newcastle boys and Leeds is ringing a bell for Buchanan?

I think Wilson came from Livingston too.

Alex Kitchen, Rhys Evans, Matthew Buchanan, Scott Wilson and Matthew Aitken have all been released, the rest have been retained for next season.

Can't say I'm surprised about Gilchrist.

Saw him for the first time after his loan spell, against Dee u20's last night and have to say he looked lean and hungry and displayed the right attitude. Won all in the air and don't remember anyone getting past him.

Played in the left back position.

Ally Gilchrist is now moving to the first team changing room

, along with Craig Thomson if he stays.

P.s. the first and last paragraphs are Kyles

comments not mine.

Edited by HOODLUM65

Saw Kitchen a couple of weeks ago & I thought he did OK especially when he moved to right back for Miller. Have to admit though that I was not impressed at Ando's testimonial.

Saw Kitchen a couple of weeks ago & I thought he did OK especially when he moved to right back for Miller. Have to admit though that I was not impressed at Ando's testimonial.

Ando's testimonial did not show anyone in a good light unfortunately.

Edited by Cagerf

• 2 weeks later...

In summing up the u20 season, Saints finished 9th in a 17 team league.

Only the top 3 teams had a better defensive record.

However, when it came to goals scored, only the bottom team (ICT) have scored fewer.

Not too bad a season overall, considering its about youth development and some guys that played were only 16/17.

In summing up the u20 season, Saints finished 9th in a 17 team league.

Only the top 3 teams had a better defensive record.

However, when it came to goals scored, only the bottom team (ICT) have scored fewer.

Not too bad a season overall, considering its about youth development and some guys that played were only 16/17.

Concede few and score few.

Does that remind you of anything?

Our future is (Ran)doomed :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was a pretty good tournament despite the rain ! George Hunter played pretty well, his goal v Hearts was a comedy of errors by Neil Alexander in their goal as he tried to clear a back pass by heading it clear only to head it to Hunter.

Dylan Easton was one of our best players but needs to lose some of his cocky attitude. Good result considering Hearts and Hamilton sent up their main squads.

Only bad point was the behaviour from some of the Accies fans, ruined it for the majority of spectators especially as there were families/young kids there. Lot of people left through the final game because of them.

It was a pretty good tournament despite the rain ! George Hunter played pretty well, his goal v Hearts was a comedy of errors by Neil Alexander in their goal as he tried to clear a back pass by heading it clear only to head it to Hunter.

Dylan Easton was one of our best players but needs to lose some of his cocky attitude. Good result considering Hearts and Hamilton sent up their main squads.

Only bad point was the behaviour from some of the Accies fans, ruined it for the majority of spectators especially as there were families/young kids there. Lot of people left through the final game because of them.

I have to say, a friend of mine watches Berwick regularly and rates Easton as their best talent since Swanson. I think players in that offensive creative player type position need a bit of cockiness and swagger.

Jad:-  Good to hear about the young players coming through I have been hearing that they are the best group for a long time, Dylan Easton seems to be one of those guys you either love or hate him as player I would imagine, I have always liked him when I have seen him play but obviously the management must not rate him or his tactical awareness as much, I would have at least tried him in the Swanson role this season to see if it worked though, he may have been injured and was not available so we will wait and see what develops, As far as Hamilton at the tournament the simple thing will be to not invite them back if a few of their fans spoil the atmosphere, I think they are usually there with Hearts,United and ourselves because of the majority of their team can be made up of younger players so it gives a good balance to the tournament and also a bit of prestige in that it is not a youth tournament.        

From what I saw of Maddison when he was here, he was nowhere near a first team player. Very selfish as well.

I read somewhere it was getting knocked back by Newcastle and us that made him re-think his attitude.

Easton, well I'd like him to be given a chance, but can't help thinking there is an issue with him.

There's an assumption that there is 'an issue' with Easton, though no-one is clear what it is. But are there also issues with Rodger, Hunter, Caddis, Brown, Thomson and Gilchrist? All highly-thought of youngsters with - on current evidence - precious little chance of getting first team football, because the manager seems to prefer experienced players  (and to be fair many of our fans seem to demand this too).

You can always argue that the coaching staff work with them every day and so will know more about the players than anyone else. But given that the club has said it has switched its approach to youth development, we need more signs of this happening.

There's an assumption that there is 'an issue' with Easton, though no-one is clear what it is. But are there also issues with Rodger, Hunter, Caddis, Brown, Thomson and Gilchrist? All highly-thought of youngsters with - on current evidence - precious little chance of getting first team football, because the manager seems to prefer experienced players  (and to be fair many of our fans seem to demand this too).

You can always argue that the coaching staff work with them every day and so will know more about the players than anyone else. But given that the club has said it has switched its approach to youth development, we need more signs of this happening.

Kane, Caddis and Brown all played against Alashkert last week, as well as 4 or 5 other youth products on the bench, we've recently sold Stevie May and we've had several others out on loan at a decent level to give them experience.

We can't just magic players up from the youth squad. They have to be good enough and ready. It's a long term project IMO and we can't expect 5 or 6 to magically appear over night.

I can't remember there ever being so many young players so highly thought of by the club. It's taking time, but the number of experienced signings from outwith are decreasing all the time. Cregg, McDonald, Banks, McFadden etc have been released and replaced by youngsters.