Synthetic Pitch - is it time?

Gas Monkey

Guest ScottMann

I watched the English Championship, L1&2 highlights and there were loads of dubious looking pitches including a couple in the Championship. The best looking ones were the big clubs ones and/or those further south. We shouldn't be singled out for criticism.

I wonder how feasible, as a longer term solution, it would be to have growing lamps, solar panels and a Tesla Powerpack-type setup? Probably prohibitively expensive in terms of setup.

you would think solar panels on Ormond would power heat lamps & leave enough to sell to grid.

Tommy more or less said no plastic pitch whilst he is here.

you would think solar panels on Ormond would power heat lamps & leave enough to sell to grid.

Tommy more or less said no plastic pitch whilst he is here.

Aye, well you wonder if perhaps we couldn't get SSE to cover some of the cost and call it a technology demonstrator? 

Probably pie in the sky, but if you don't ask etc.

• 2 weeks later...

After watching that game last night, I am convinced more than ever that we have to go down the artificial surface route. Regardless of how pish we are at the moment, you cant tell me the players enjoying playing on that pitch at the moment?

Interesting to read Jim McIntyre saying that his players were looking forward to playing at Rugby Park on Tuesday as the players were looking forward to getting the chance to play on a pitch that was not in a terrible condition.

After watching that game last night, I am convinced more than ever that we have to go down the artificial surface route. Regardless of how pish we are at the moment, you cant tell me the players enjoying playing on that pitch at the moment?

Interesting to read Jim McIntyre saying that his players were looking forward to playing at Rugby Park on Tuesday as the players were looking forward to getting the chance to play on a pitch that was not in a terrible condition.

Thistle played some good football on it in the first half last night.

I was on the pitch at Rugby Park on Sunday. It's feckin brick hard - would not fancy landing awkwardly after challenging for a header on it that's for sure

Is that not just a temperature thing though? Grass parks will be rock hard too when it's freezing?

I'd not be against the artificial route if the alternative is playing more than half our games every year on a pitch like we currently have.

Guest ScottMann

Perhaps the real question should be...Is it time to do away with undersoil heating as the sole means of making pitches playable given the damage it apparently does to the grass?

It obviously works in softening the ground up but is the cost to pitches too high? There are alternatives although admittedly not so effective. Still, is it not better to have a couple of games postponed, which happens anyway and not just because of the condition of the pitch these days, and have a better playing surface for most of the season than play them and pay the consequences?

Scobbie played a simple five yard pass to Swanson which bobbled constantly and ended up bouncing over Swansons foot. While the second goal took a huge bobble just before it reaches Mannus, who otherwise saves it.

Our pitch is a complete joke at the moment and the Partick manager commenting how he overheard Saints players saying they were happier to play at Firhill. 

Folk have this out-dated idea grass pitches are somehow perfect, despite the fact it costs us a fortune to try and save every Summer and by December every season its a complete tattie field. Its only a matter of time before we go synthetic.

Scobbie played a simple five yard pass to Swanson which bobbled constantly and ended up bouncing over Swansons foot. While the second goal took a huge bobble just before it reaches Mannus, who otherwise saves it.

Our pitch is a complete joke at the moment and the Partick manager commenting how he overheard Saints players saying they were happier to play at Firhill. 

Folk have this out-dated idea grass pitches are somehow perfect, despite the fact it costs us a fortune to try and save every Summer and by December every season its a complete tattie field. Its only a matter of time before we go synthetic.

If the players worried less about the pitch and concentrated more on the pass then they may get on better, Also if Mannus is blaming the pitch for the second goal then it is time for him to take a back seat no doubt he will say it is the cause of his poor kicking and distribution also then, perhaps if he dived with his arms streached out to make his body as long as possible like most goalkeepers do especially to his left then a few shots that have sailed past him on that side may have been prevented, Also can I confidently Quote you on our players the pitch and the Thistle manager?  

Edited by Center Half

The Pitch is Shite.! ten punters with Tridents will never make one divot of improvement at half time even when  poncing about wearing a Hibs Kit.! Remember it was not to long ago that good money was laid out to re-seed the playing surface.!

Our pitch has been akin take to a tattle field for a few years, but I would argue this is a fairly recent problem. If you think back to the90's our pitch was top notch and Scottish weather has by and large been the same for decades. I would suggest the groundsman then was very good indeed.

if you even look at Firhill today, in spite of it not being great, both teams can certainly play the ball on the deck. For our players that is a lottery playing at home, hence a lot of punts up the park.