Saints v Motherwell 20/02/16

glenrothes saintee

Can't believe there is even any debate or criticism of Tam for that tackle. Players do this all the time. In fact, in the first half Fisher broke away and was chopped deliberately from behind and no booking. Normally it's a yellow unless the guy is clean through. Tams tackle wasn't dangerous, in no way could it have hurt the boy because he was getting away, impact would be minimal. 

As for criticising him for making the tackle, he was sold up the swanny with a bad pass and stopped the attack in a safe area of the pitch. Clever foul. He also got a wonderful block in from 2 yards out (which the ref gave a goal kick) and then scored a last minute winner. Sorry, but all hail Sir Tam!

Glad to see us win again. Tam's tackle was a belter, took a risk there. You have to ask how you would have felt had it been on one of our players. Performance overall not that easy on the eye but the three points are all that count given recent results.

Definitely took a risk going in with a proper old skool tackle, but he got a rub of the green and got away with it. If anyone wants to see a proper 'bad' tackle, they should look out footage of Leeds in the early 70's. Tam is no Norman Hunter.

On first viewing, it looked like a yellow card tackle. I don't think it was really that necessary though. I didn't think that we were in any danger of conceding from that particular attack. On the other hand, I'd congratulate him if it prevented a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

Maybe I've viewed the incident incorrectly though. If so, I humbly apologise and I'd advise everyone to ignore my embarrassing display of idiocy.

Edited by The Real Saints

I thought lappin did well when he came on class delivery and sorted out no 5 who Craig was struggling against sometimes straight away lappin has quality free kicks cross and does his job well I would like to see him get a chance even if he can only do 70 mins or so each game

Can't believe there is even any debate or criticism of Tam for that tackle. Players do this all the time. In fact, in the first half Fisher broke away and was chopped deliberately from behind and no booking. Normally it's a yellow unless the guy is clean through. Tams tackle wasn't dangerous, in no way could it have hurt the boy because he was getting away, impact would be minimal. 

As for criticising him for making the tackle, he was sold up the swanny with a bad pass and stopped the attack in a safe area of the pitch. Clever foul. He also got a wonderful block in from 2 yards out (which the ref gave a goal kick) and then scored a last minute winner. Sorry, but all hail Sir Tam!

I've not read criticism. It's only observations of the refs decision. Some see it that we got a bit of luck. It's a classic team foul and team booking. Another day and another ref, possibly a different outcome.  

On first viewing, it looked like a yellow card tackle. I don't think it was really that necessary though. I didn't think that we were in any danger of conceding from that particular attack. On the other hand, I'd congratulate him if it prevented a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

Maybe I've viewed the incident incorrectly though. If so, I humbly apologise and I'd advise everyone to ignore my embarrassing display of idiocy.

did the right thing IMO... Stopped the player at the half way line rather than let him run in to the danger area of the box. How often do you see an attacker running half the length of the pitch without a tackle going in. Well done Tam ...

I've not read criticism. It's only observations of the refs decision. Some see it that we got a bit of luck. It's a classic team foul and team booking. Another day and another ref, possibly a different outcome.  

I having been saying since our wee slump that we need to 'man up' Tam's tackle looked ok from where I was sitting! Sometimes I  think we are too soft, only Muzz gets tore in... More of the same please. In the words of Magee 'Win Ugly' that'll do for me COYS

not at all... I did have a sharp intake of breath ... Only because Saints get penalised for looking at opposition the wrong way! When I first saw we were playing with one up front my heart sank, however I thought it was a battling display & a worthy 3 points ...ITWT⚽️

How often do you see an attacker running half the length of the pitch without a tackle going in.

We have been unbelievably bad at doing this for weeks. So many times we just back off.  It was refreshing to see us limit the number of times of just retreat retreat retreat. There is a balance to when to do this but we were allowing teams to bully us in recent weeks and have has on the back foot.  Hibs game was particularly bad for this retreat and no tackle approach.

Great win for Saints.  Exactly what we needed.  A lot of us said we just had to shitfest a result to end the bad run and we got exactly that.  Our squad wanted it more in the end and never settled for the point.

Thought Motherwell bullied us a little in the first half, Shaughnessy in particular was letting his man back into him and rough him up a bit.  The second half was the opposite and I thought our two centre backs were very good and the whole team had more fight about them.  It was strange that the Motherwell goal seemed to be the turning point as they'd been the better team up til then, but they didn't kick on from it at all.

A lack of quality on the ball from both teams with passes going straight out etc, but what can we expect on that pitch? The number of times the ball hit a divot just as a player was about to play it.

Cummins made a big difference and won a lot of headers.  Felt sorry for Maclean, his service the entire first half was huge punts up with three big centre halves around him and his support a long way off.

well done Spoony, cracking strike.  You always fancy him to hit the target when he cuts in on his right foot like that.

i felt it was a real Jekyll and Hyde performance from Scobbie.. At times I was thinking he was having a really poor game, then mixed in he had a couple of really good interceptions/ headers, a sublime cross that Cummins headed wide, and the brilliant winner!!  For his booking, I thought he could have fouled his man earlier but was slow to react and ended up having to dive in with that lunge at the well lad's ankles!!

Great to see Midge playing a full game.  I know folk have said his passing wasn't the best at times but he always looks for the ball from our defence and is always there in front of them to  offer protection.  When him and Muzz are both fit and playing in there together I usually feel we have a good chance.

lets build on this and start to climb the table again...

We have been unbelievably bad at doing this for weeks. So many times we just back off.  It was refreshing to see us limit the number of times of just retreat retreat retreat. There is a balance to when to do this but we were allowing teams to bully us in recent weeks and have has on the back foot.  Hibs game was particularly bad for this retreat and no tackle approach.

could not agree with you more!

Can't see many opinions of Thomson's game yesterday. What was the verdict on our new lord and saviour? I take it he didn't rip the wing to shreds and single handedly save our season, as some on here were ever so confident that he would do as soon as he was given a start?

Edited by Kevin James Is On Stilts

He wasn't involved too much other than beating a man and having a shot blocked in the second half.  He seems to track back a lot better than his predecessor in that position.

i think there's definitely a player there, but wouldn't say he did enough to justify starting the next game.  Personally I'd like to see him used from the bench as an impact sub a few times for now,  as I feel with his pace he can really cause a problem when we are chasing a goal.

Scobbie was pretty much bullied out if it by Moult for the goal. Really need another dominant CH.

What we need is a goalie that doesnt allow himself to get blocked in.Ref should deal with it but it but it seems to be part of the game now. Most goalies cope but Mannus can't because it is not his instinct to come off his line for corners.

What we need is a goalie that doesnt allow himself to get blocked in.Ref should deal with it but it but it seems to be part of the game now. Most goalies cope but Mannus can't because it is not his instinct to come off his line for corners.

Pretty harsh if you're blaming him for the goal yesterday, he virtually had 18 players in the six yard box with him and the delivery when right to the front edge of that box