Tommy's weekly E-mail

50yrs a Saint

Are you being deliberately obtuse? 

I started a thread about the OS site to get an understanding if I was the only one who thought it was poor. The weekly email from the manager obviously struck a chord hence this one sprung up with various contributors.

Please try to be less condescending it really is cheap and does you no credit.

I am being neither obtuse or condescending - you attacked the clubs poor PR over something you  claim to know nothing about (The managers weekly emails) and I am pointing out that this particular subject has been discussed on this site and on various media sites over at least the last 2 years so you have either ignored these discussions or missed them - what is obtuse or condescending about that? 

Been getting my email regularly except for 3 weeks in February where it all went very quiet. Who does this for TW? Anyone know? 

I used to get them then didn't. Ross said it was the software used that caused the problem! That was 18 months ago and still don't get them, but not bothered as there's nothing in them you can't find or figure out for yourself.

Got this today...might be an issue with me receiving emails though...

Since our last game we’ve had a good week of training and we are all looking forward to tonight’s game against Inverness Caley Thistle.  With the fight for ‘top six’ spots having intensified in recent weeks, it’s a massively important game for both clubs.

We know as a group that we have to do better and cut out the unfortunate lapses of concentration which have cost us dearly in recent games.  The attitude and spirit of the players is good and we remain confident that we can get top six.

I know there were a few boos and jeers at the conclusion of last week’s defeat to Partick Thistle but the backing the players got during the game was great and I thank you for that and I must commend the new young supporters in the East Stand for the atmosphere and noise they have created in the past two home games.  A well-behaved, noisy backing can be a great asset to a team.

I’m pleased to be able to say that Dave Mackay’s operation has been a success which is great news and his absence is currently looking to be around the four month mark so hopefully he will be involved at the start of next season.

Please give the boys your backing against the Caley Jags.

Got this today...might be an issue with me receiving emails though...

Since our last game we’ve had a good week of training and we are all looking forward to tonight’s game against Inverness Caley Thistle.  With the fight for ‘top six’ spots having intensified in recent weeks, it’s a massively important game for both clubs.

We know as a group that we have to do better and cut out the unfortunate lapses of concentration which have cost us dearly in recent games.  The attitude and spirit of the players is good and we remain confident that we can get top six.

I know there were a few boos and jeers at the conclusion of last week’s defeat to Partick Thistle but the backing the players got during the game was great and I thank you for that and I must commend the new young supporters in the East Stand for the atmosphere and noise they have created in the past two home games.  A well-behaved, noisy backing can be a great asset to a team.

I’m pleased to be able to say that Dave Mackay’s operation has been a success which is great news and his absence is currently looking to be around the four month mark so hopefully he will be involved at the start of next season.

Please give the boys your backing against the Caley Jags.

Got Tommy's message in the wee small hours of Thursday morning.

However, I did not wait for his message to give the boys my backing on Wednesday evening.

Coys.

• 2 weeks later...

Got one today...

Since my last email to you we have played two games but unfortunately due to illness I missed the Ross County game and it was a game where we could have got all three points particularly given the first half performance.  We then had the difficult away fixture at Hearts where I’m sure most of our rivals would have expected us to drop the three points but once again the players showed what they were all about to produce a ‘complete’ performance limiting Hearts to a couple of opportunities and creating various chances for ourselves to record an emphatic 3-0 win.

I was pleased with the quality of play.  We passed the ball and kept the ball well at times but importantly we were really positive in the last third of the pitch.  Set plays are always important and as we have done previously this season, Murray scored two good goals from them.

The third goal was pleasing in that even with the game being won we were still pushing forward to get another goal.  I was particularly pleased for Darnell who I think is having an excellent season so far.

The three points were important and the 3-0 victory helps our goal difference and we have now put ourselves in the box seat for a ‘top six’ finish.  However, there is much football still to be played and we will be going all out to ensure that place with enough points in the next two games.

Danny Swanson picked up hamstring injury but we got him off early as a precaution and hopefully he will be fit for the Dundee United game.  With it being international week, the players have had a few hard training sessions and are now getting a few days recovery before they are back next week to prepare for the derby game.

Finally, a special mention must go to Steven Anderson on becoming the club’s top appearance maker on Saturday.  It’s only right that Ando’s name will go down in the club record books. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday’s game was an opportunity to guarantee a top six finish but unfortunately we’ve left ourselves with a bit of work to do.  We know that a point at Kilmarnock this Saturday will take us over the line and it’s still very much in our own hands.  The game against United didn’t go according to plan as we didn’t start the game until we went 1-0 behind and from that spell until the sending off we were the better side.

I feel that after the sending off, even though we had most of the possession, we stopped passing the ball and started to hit longer balls which made it easier for United and so for all the possession we enjoyed, we created few opportunities and didn’t have enough quality to win the game.

It hasn’t been a great season for injuries and it’s a credit to the players that they’ve coped with that but unfortunately Saturday was another bad day in that respect.  Chris Millar, Murray Davidson and Craig Thomson all picked up injuries – sadly, Craig is out for the rest of the season with a fractured collar bone.  However, there is better news on Muzz – he has Grade 1 hamstring tear but should be back in time for the first post-split match.  Chris took a bang to his hip but should be available for the trip to Kilmarnock.

Finally, I, my staff and players attended the club’s Hall of Fame Dinner on Sunday and it was great to see former players recognised for their services to the club.  It was a great turnout and a great event which was enjoyed by all.

At the start of any season, our first target is to remain in the league.  Our second target is to get into the top six and we achieved that on Saturday.  For that, I am so proud of the players and staff for their efforts in what has been a long, hard season. 

They’ve dealt with everything that’s been thrown at them on the pitch, they’ve dealt with the injuries which have badly hit us throughout the season and have still achieved top six. 

We have done this not by help from others or through luck or ‘by the back door’.  We’ve done it because we are the 5th best team after 33 games of the season.  Having now achieved this five seasons in a row I can honestly say that every season that the players manage it I take even more pleasure because it is getting harder and harder to do. 

Every season is full of ifs and buts but that’s the beauty of football and over the past five seasons I think we could have done better in each of them - that is us striving to be the very best.   So yes, at this stage we may have done better but it is still job accomplished, top six achieved and the possibility of European competition again and I thank the Chairman and Board for their continued backing.
So, all Saints fans can be proud of their team again and we have five matches remaining to see where it takes us. 

Finally, thank you for your continued support.  We are a team and you are very much part of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this today....starting to think that Tommy just sends it to me!! :laugh:

Friday night’s performance was exactly what was needed after the disappointment of the defeat at Kilmarnock in the previous match and the two week break that then followed.

Key for us in the success was how we started the game:  we were full of energy, had a really positive attitude and our tempo with and without the ball was good, making it an uncomfortable night for a really good side.

The goals came at good times and the third goal, for me, was particularly pleasing as we pressed really well to get the ball back high up the pitch and then take advantage from there.

It was a real team performance and has set a standard for the level we need to take into the final four games of the campaign as we very much want that fourth position come the end of the season.

The support on Friday was excellent – thank you, as always, for your backing.

Saturday’s win in Dingwall was pleasing from many points of view.  The level of performance shown at the Aberdeen game was maintained and that was particularly pleasing as I had emphasised to the players that there was no point in reaching that level against Aberdeen if it couldn’t be repeated against Ross County.

So, from the first whistle again, we dictated the game.   Some press match reports have said that it was County’s poorest  performance of the season but as was the case with the Aberdeen game I don’t think we’ve been given enough credit – it’s what we did that has limited them.

Particularly in the first half, we played some good football, passed the ball neatly and our only failing was our final ball into the box. It was good to get a goal off a set play again as it is something we work hard on and we saw the game out with relatively little trouble and Zander needed just one good save from a deflection.

The Highlands has proved profitable for the team this season and that pleases me as we always take good numbers up there and the journey home is always better when you’ve won.

I’m pleased to advise that we have completed the signing, on a pre-contract, of Keith Watson. Keith’s a defender with good top league experience, is a good age and I’m sure he’ll have a successful time with us.

Three tough games remain and we will be doing all in our power to finish the campaign with a flourish.

I hope as many of you as possible can take the time to come along to the stadium on Friday evening when the Under 17 team from our Youth Academy take on their counterparts from Manchester United.  A similar fixture last season proved highly enjoyable and so I hope you can make it along for the 7pm kick-off.

I got one this morning! it reads...

'Don't think bad of me, but eye must once again consider my options, both personally and professionally.......so eye dhooh.........the pull of the WF is great, it is not very often you get the chance to manage a club who's name is so indelibly etched upon the history of the game, both here in Scotland and indeed across the continent.....let alone twice in the space of year....so it is....... time yous prepared for the inevitable, its been gud........so it has........but all good things must come to an enynd....eim shure yous will understand...so yous wull...... Luv and eye thanks yous all fir the craic...so eye dhooh

Tommy x

I got one this morning! it reads...

'Don't think bad of me, but eye must once again consider my options, both personally and professionally.......so eye dhooh.........the pull of the WF is great, it is not very often you get the chance to manage a club who's name is so indelibly etched upon the history of the game, both here in Scotland and indeed across the continent.....let alone twice in the space of year....so it is....... time yous prepared for the inevitable, its been gud........so it has........but all good things must come to an enynd....eim shure yous will understand...so yous wull...... Luv and eye thanks yous all fir the craic...so eye dhooh

Tommy x

Fake.....he would have definitely said "delightet" at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, last Sunday’s game proved not to be your typical ‘end of season fayre’.  The Tynecastle match was feisty, full of incident, a lot of good play and at the end of it, another positive result for the team although we do feel we should have taken all three points. 

Coming out of five post-split fixtures undefeated for the second successive season is a remarkable achievement and one the players should be very proud of. 

It augurs well for the future that Liam Gordon and Greg Hurst both played a part on Sunday and their names can be added to those of Zander Clark, Craig Thomson and Chris Kane as examples of young emerging talent at the club. 

Overall, it’s been another tremendous season and I would like to thank the Chairman, the Board of Directors, all my backroom staff and Paul Smith for their work and support during the campaign.  However, most importantly, I’m sure you will join me in thanking the players for everything they have achieved this season. 

It only remains for me to thank you, the supporters, for your magnificent support.  I hope you enjoy your summer and come back again in July when the League Cup starts with its new format. 

I won’t write weekly during the break but I will be in touch over the summer to update you.

Is Tommy permanently living in Perth these days? Seem to recall he was shacked up near the Malthouse with lomas for a while. He is legend

Think so. Mate of mine saw him walking a dug by the football pitch off Primrose Crescent, so he's maybe got a GS Brown house round there.