Run in for Europe

Havana Saint

We won't make the top 6, and we don't deserve to given our recent form.

Without wanting to be that guy, over the last six games we've been the fourth best team in the league (3 wins, 3 losses), and over the last ten we've been the sixth best.

So technically we do deserve to be in the top six given our recent form.

Without wanting to be that guy, over the last six games we've been the fourth best team in the league (3 wins, 3 losses), and over the last ten we've been the sixth best.

So technically we do deserve to be in the top six given our recent form.

Accepted, but I was referring to the quality of our performances, which have been more concerning to me than our results.  The first half against Kilmarnock is as bad as we have been for about 5 or 6 seasons - if that is our accepted standard and everything else in between has been 'overachieving' then we are ****ed. 

We were better against Rangers, but frankly we were still pretty awful, and TW seems to think it was a massive improvement.

Accepted, but I was referring to the quality of our performances, which have been more concerning to me than our results.  The first half against Kilmarnock is as bad as we have been for about 5 or 6 seasons - if that is our accepted standard and everything else in between has been 'overachieving' then we are ****ed. 

We were better against Rangers, but frankly we were still pretty awful, and TW seems to think it was a massive improvement.

We were dynamite against Ross County. Hamilton we barely got out of first gear and won comfortably.

The Rangers game everyone thinks was poor because it was Rangers. If we'd lost to Aberdeen in that manner I doubt many people would be as harsh, it's still a very difficult place to go, as their home record shows. 

The issue is a lot of people only see the home games, where we're by and large this season, awful. They miss the great displays in the highlands or in Motherwell, so it's very easy to form an opinion based on what you see in front of you. Which is entirely fair, sometimes fans need to perhaps grasp the entire picture and not just what's in plain sight. 

We were dynamite against Ross County. Hamilton we barely got out of first gear and won comfortably.

The Rangers game everyone thinks was poor because it was Rangers. If we'd lost to Aberdeen in that manner I doubt many people would be as harsh, it's still a very difficult place to go, as their home record shows. 

Dynamite? Hmmm. Competent and tidy perhaps. Hamilton should've been two up, we were appalling that first half.

I thought it was poor at Ibrox because it was poor. We started the game sitting off them and letting them run at and in behind us and get shot after shot away. We finally woke up and seemed tp realise that this was a side who had spent four years in the lower leagues.

After going level, we again sat back. Had we lost 6- or 7-2 we'd only have had ourselves to blame for a poor approach and performance. Showed far too much respect when no more than that afforded to any other team would have been quite enough.

Dynamite? Hmmm. Competent and tidy perhaps. Hamilton should've been two up, we were appalling that first half.

I thought it was poor at Ibrox because it was poor. We started the game sitting off them and letting them run at and in behind us and get shot after shot away. We finally woke up and seemed tp realise that this was a side who had spent four years in the lower leagues.

After going level, we again sat back. Had we lost 6- or 7-2 we'd only have had ourselves to blame for a poor approach and performance. Showed far too much respect when no more than that afforded to any other team would have been quite enough.

We were very, very good in Dingwall. Thoroughly merited the three points and completely controlled the game, especially the second half. I don't think you could actually ask for much more from an away team in this league.

We were poor first half against Hamilton, but you cannot win 3-0 and not be getting pass marks. 

Completely irrelevant where Rangers have been the last few seasons, only Celtic have beat them at Ibrox this season, they are a good team. 

Our recent form also includes a very comfortable performance at Parkhead where we were unlucky not to get a penalty and robbed by the officials of a great chance to be the first side to beat them this season in Perth. 

Our home results and performances (missed a few months being out of the country, but from reports from friends) have been poor all season, but putting frustrations aside our recent performances have not been 'undeserving of top six,' hence why we will comfortably make top six yet again. Because we deserve to. 

We were very, very good in Dingwall. Thoroughly merited the three points and completely controlled the game, especially the second half. I don't think you could actually ask for much more from an away team in this league.

We were poor first half against Hamilton, but you cannot win 3-0 and not be getting pass marks. 

Completely irrelevant where Rangers have been the last few seasons, only Celtic have beat them at Ibrox this season, they are a good team. 

Our recent form also includes a very comfortable performance at Parkhead where we were unlucky not to get a penalty and robbed by the officials of a great chance to be the first side to beat them this season in Perth. 

Our home results and performances (missed a few months being out of the country, but from reports from friends) have been poor all season, but putting frustrations aside our recent performances have not been 'undeserving of top six,' hence why we will comfortably make top six yet again. Because we deserve to. 

We will make the top six - not as comfortably as we might have done. We could still be fourth in the end.

I think we could have avoided talk of 'making the top six' and been discussing challenging for the top 3 had our home form not been so abysmal at times.

It's a good complaint to have, admittedly frustrating, but still far better than those in the pack at the bottom end of the table.

why not a chance?

Our size of squad for one. Lately we were missing 5 players, the depth and quality of the squad can restrict us. The bigger clubs can still draft in quality players and have a strong bench.  

If we had good players the top teams sign them to eliminate any threat.  The top teams in Scotland in a way look to weaken the opposition.

Corruption another aspect of the game, unsure how clean we are but can't compete with the big boys. Bigger teams always get the decisions.

Media frenzy, we don't have an exciting enough circus. We don't come from the West side of Scotland.

Top team have bigger support and revenue. Saints will never ever have a big support. The game is an expensive hobby.

But this could all be a myth.  I do feel our squad has let themselves down. It's the strongest squad we've had. The best squad we have had. We ought to have a few more points on the board... Let's just make the split and then win every game after it (as we don't play lower teams to lose against) and see where it takes us.

I'm not overly happy this season although it is successful to now.. frustrating season so let's be optimistic and aim high... finish well to help me forget the nightmares we've seen at McD.

You sound like my 8 year old daughter who just says 'why' after everything

Do you live in a bubble?

nope i was kinda pointing out that we cant compete with celtic mainly because we have a smaller budget , we also have a smaller budget than most clubs in the prem but continue to finish top 6  id call that overachieving

Guest ScottMann

You sound like my 8 year old daughter who just says 'why' after everything

Do you live in a bubble?

Good on her. Your daughter sounds as if she's intelligent with an enquiring mind. 'Why?' is the best question ever!

nope i was kinda pointing out that we cant compete with celtic mainly because we have a smaller budget , we also have a smaller budget than most clubs in the prem but continue to finish top 6  id call that overachieving

I'd call that achieving, or being successful.  Overachieving is simply the wrong word IMO.

All of this 'overachieving' talk is now embedded in our collective psyche.

I am resisting it and am one of only a few who can see that it has prevented us from achieving our current true potential, which is a few places higher up the league, maybe even second. We may not have as much potential again, but we've had it these last two seasons.

Play poorly and it's ok because we're overachieving, punching above our weight.

Lose half a dozen home matches in each of two seasons to teams we could be beating and it's a shame, but we're overachieving, so it's ok. No, it isn't. Lose at Ibrox and it's okay because it's Rangers and they're a good team. No it isn't because we could have beaten them by adopting a different approach instead of sitting off them and allowing them to play.

We'll still do well, but it could have been so much better in league and cup these last two seasons.

That's just how it is. It would have been great to see us achieve more. Despite the disappointment, it's still preferable by far to supporting any of a dozen clubs who are currently below us.

Guest ScottMann

http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=scotland

Home - P14 W6 D4 L4 F17 A15 Pts22
Away -  P13 W4 D3 L6 F18 A21 Pts15

Home and away records have been swapped but if we were sitting 5th after 27 games with those stats I don't think the level of doom, gloom and despondency would be nearly as high. It's so true about the importance of winning your home games.

All of this 'overachieving' talk is now embedded in our collective psyche.

I am resisting it and am one of only a few who can see that it has prevented us from achieving our current true potential, which is a few places higher up the league, maybe even second. We may not have as much potential again, but we've had it these last two seasons.

Play poorly and it's ok because we're overachieving, punching above our weight.

Lose half a dozen home matches in each of two seasons to teams we could be beating and it's a shame, but we're overachieving, so it's ok. No, it isn't. Lose at Ibrox and it's okay because it's Rangers and they're a good team. No it isn't because we could have beaten them by adopting a different approach instead of sitting off them and allowing them to play.

We'll still do well, but it could have been so much better in league and cup these last two seasons.

That's just how it is. It would have been great to see us achieve more. Despite the disappointment, it's still preferable by far to supporting any of a dozen clubs who are currently below us.

when we play badly no one says thats ok because weve been over achieving but overall thats exactly what we have been doing just as utd an hibs have under achieved