Player contracts and transfers

David123

Just backs up my theory that Stevie May/Chris Kane's future resale value is directly related to their goal return. All strikers are judged on minutes per goal, amy other merit in their ability is overlooked.

If we were looking to sign Steven MacLean just now, folk would moan that he scores less than 10 a season. Reality is that he's a key element to our team playing well.

Here's a legitimate idiot question for those more knowledgable.

Stevie has signed a contract with which he is happy with. While that means he cannot leave without the clubs permission and appropriate compensation, does that also work in reverse? If we were offered daft money from an English premiership club, but Stevie didn't want to warm a bench down south, can he refuse to leave and see out his contract?

I know it sounds a silly question, but folk talk of players having a buy out clause - so if club x offers £1.5m then the club have to let him go (for example). Would a club like saints include a clause that said if club x offers £1.5m and meets certain personal terms then the player cannot refuse to leave?

Edited by montrosesaintee

List of players that are out of contract at the end of the season.

Murray Davidson, Steve MacLean, Alan Mannus, Nigel Hasselbaink, Brian Easton, Patrick Cregg, David Robertson, Steven Anderson, Gary Miller, Frazer Wright, Gary McDonald, Tam Scobbie, Rory Fallon, Callum Davidson, Liam Caddis*, Steve Banks, Dylan Easton*, Scott Brown*.

* = under 20

Dylan Easton extended contract to May 2016

Stevie has signed a contract with which he is happy with. While that means he cannot leave without the clubs permission and appropriate compensation, does that also work in reverse? If we were offered daft money from an English premiership club, but Stevie didn't want to warm a bench down south, can he refuse to leave and see out his contract?

I know it sounds a silly question, but folk talk of players having a buy out clause - so if club x offers £1.5m then the club have to let him go (for example). Would a club like saints include a clause that said if club x offers £1.5m and meets certain personal terms then the player cannot refuse to leave?

Aye he can refuse and see out his contract.

Yep,Danny Griffin turned down Derby , they  had a Milllion and a half bid

I have no idea why Gary McDonald gets the criticism he does. He's generally done really well for us, although like the rest of them, could weigh in with more goals.

There is only one player in the squad who is contributing absolutely nothing to the cause and hopefully if we can get Michael O'Halloran as is suggested then we can pay him off and forget about him.

I have no idea why Gary McDonald gets the criticism he does. He's generally done really well for us, although like the rest of them, could weigh in with more goals.

There is only one player in the squad who is contributing absolutely nothing to the cause and hopefully if we can get Michael O'Halloran as is suggested then we can pay him off and forget about him.

He's an easy target. I think he's been one of the better players over the games I've seen him.

You're right about Fallon too. He's dreadful, a total liability and shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

My heart sank when Fallon came on today. After the Aberdeen game, I'm afraid seeing him on the pitch again sent a very negative message about the team.

I don't quite work that one out. How is it negative?? The guy was wrong to do what he did and was punished and I suspect he has been hit heavily in the pocket,

Today we tried to change it and play with a bigger striker up beside May, there is presently no one else on our books so he went with Fallon.

I think the proble we have in away games is that we need a sitting midfielder to do the ugly work and against United Cregg did it brilliantly, Cregg and Mac Donald sitting with Davidson getting a free reign is in my view the ideal midfield 3.

I fought the Fallon corner for a long time. I thought he deserved a proper chance to prove himself. All he has done is prove that he is miles and miles away from SPFL premiership standard.

I've heard the 'bring the big guy on to win long balls' argument. I've yet to see him win a long ball and hold it up in any way whatsoever. He occasionally gets the top of his head on the ball and helps it into their keeper rather than just to their CHs.

He's useless, and his red card against Aberdeen was a pathetic lack of respect for a club who have given him twice as many chances than he deserved to prove he isn't horseshit.

Today he was rewarded with another chance.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Gary Mac is a steady player,does plenty of good simple things to keep the ball or move it on when required.He does lack a yard of pace,as seen when the Celtic cb left him in his wake,but all our centre mids are the same apart from Midge if he's in there.Actually thought spoony might be better in there instead of wide,when he's lacking confidence,where his better pace and work rate might be suited

I'm not a fan at all. Positionally poor and terrible ball retention. I feel in some games he's been good, snapping into challenges etc but when deployed in a more forward thinking role he's limited at best. No vision, no creativity. He's not going to score goals and not going to create them. Therefore unless he's doing a job defensively I think he's a liability.