Player contracts and transfers

David123

Sam Nicholson is set to leave Hearts in the summer, with talks on a new deal breaking down. (Daily Express, print edition)

BBC Sport reporting contract talks have broken down between Hearts and Sam Nicholson. A player I think we should have gone for when they were relegated. Would be a really nice addition to our Wings. Think he'll go to a bigger team and will be out of our price range. However I'd love to see it. 

Interesting figure how do you get 400k

It's what's been mentioned in most reports about him

It's calculated by length of time at the club, amount of games played, level played at, interest in player, his current contract, what his clubs offered him, international caps at all levels and the level of the club who want to buy him. 

Theres no real set way of knowing exactly how much it'll be, but usually the media seem to have a good idea about it. 

Keatings?

He was pants when he came on loan, but has matured a lot.

Hibs have offered him a contract extension over the past few weeks. 

There's a few games till the end of the season and the break for you to get used to the idea :)

Nah, I'm not a fan despite how well he played against us. Tbh though, I thought the same about Paton and TW has turned him into a useful player. So who knows who he'd do with Dow. 

Do people not remember last year's debacle? There's simply no chance that Ryan Dow will sign for St. Johnstone. Whilst waiting to find out if Hibs were getting promoted (doesn't that sound a bit familiar?), he kept us waiting and he made it very apparent that we were his last resort. By the time that Hibs had confirmed their failure to achieve promotion, Tommy refused to be taken for a mug and - rather publicly - ended all interest in the player. Poor Ryan spent a number of weeks with his future destination in doubt, before eventually being offered a deal by Ross County.

We must also bear in mind that he's not very good.

Do people not remember last year's debacle? There's simply no chance that Ryan Dow will sign for St. Johnstone. Whilst waiting to find out if Hibs were getting promoted (doesn't that sound a bit familiar?), he kept us waiting and he made it very apparent that we were his last resort. By the time that Hibs had confirmed their failure to achieve promotion, Tommy refused to be taken for a mug and - rather publicly - ended all interest in the player. Poor Ryan spent a number of weeks with his future destination in doubt, before eventually being offered a deal by Ross County.

We must also bear in mind that he's not very good.

Yes, who can forget.  That doesn't mean that Saints wouldn't go back in for him.  We've proved before that we don't go the moral high ground route of 'you've snubbed us once so that's it'.  Surely Swanson is evidence of that albeit he's a much better player. He definitely played the deal or no deal game with us last year and it didn't work for him.  Last year I would have been happy to have him on board as a player with potential that Wright could nurture, I suppose it just depends if you your prepared to write off last season as a blip or not.

ITK guy on Pie and Bovril probably. 

To be fair, I've heard roughly that figure too, but I think it's hearts fans coming up with it. They are under this impression as I think that's what they have agreed with Boro for Jordan McGhee who is in a similar situation. However I think what compensation you get is pkayer specific. For example, they'd get more for Patterson as he has international caps and has played more top flight games.

Billy King released by Hearts. 

I'll get my coat.

Was laughing at you reaching for your coat, reading you're post quickly thought it was King Billy.:wink:

Aye, I am due to return to my optician tomorrow, as he was unhappy with his findings last week.:laugh:

I would be happy to 'promote' Thomson to a higher profile first team place. We could also do with another attack minded midfielder and striker are still required IMO. Bikey, Mallan, Rory Loy and would not be averse to Marcus Haber returning as he looks decent in a pretty rank Dundee team to add some much needed pace. Also would be happier for tommy to widen the net to unearth a gem.

I reckon a good few players who are out of contract in May could be worth signing for next season, knowing Tommy being able to get the best out of most players he acquires.

For me, these players are;

Lionel Ainsworth (Was talk in 2015 of us going after him, can be a hit or miss but Tommy could get the best out of him)

Josh Meekings (Relatively young and experienced Premiership defender, playing for a shite club. Will give Ando and Joe a run for their money)

Alex Shalk (Bit of a risk but can be really good on his day and will score goals if given the service)

Clive Smith (Played well when given the chance, looks like a decent prospect for the future, along with Craig Thomson)

There was talk about Steve Brown increasing the budget, after a conversation with Tommy Wright. So factor that into the fact that Mannus and Tam will probably leave (maybe Hunter also), as well as additional funds in general and younger players going out on loan, so perhaps the above 4 aren't necessarily out of reach. Chances are we'll sign none of them, but I'd like to of thought they're on Tommy's radar as they're certainly in his target market - ie a couple of them have underutilised quality that Tommy could unearth when their own clubs can't.