Saints v Celtic, Sunday 14th Feb, 12pm

Salguodinmethven.

Thought we acquitted ourselves well.

You know we are doing ok when the commentators are saying Celtic have not got into their usual passing game.

Conway should have scored, after taking a good touch, when in the middle of the goal  mouth.

Just a pity we lost concentration in a 2 minute spell to concede the 2 goals (same as last time against them at McD).

Rooney's header was sublime.

Time to get him up front as a target man.;)

Edited by HOODLUM65
Predictive text.

1 hour ago, Bridgendboy said:

Didn’t think the ref did too much wrong. Thought we matched Celtic pretty well just unfortunate for us that Edouard has found his form just before they play us.

Totally agree, I suspect it may have been a different score line a few weeks back - they have got over the mini slump and found some form, that said I do think we deserved at least a point.

no one in the league would have stopped edouard scoring in current form.

11 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Thought we acquitted ourselves well.

You know we are doing ok when the commentators are saying Celtic have not got into their usual passing game.

Connelly should have scored, after taking a good touch, when in the middle of the goal  mouth.

Just a pity we lost concentration in a 2 minute spell to concede the 2 goals (same as last time against them at McD).

Rooney's header was sublime.

Time to get him up front as a target man.;)

Agree 100% about Rooney but who is this Connelly guy?

3 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

Didnt see the game listened to sportsound they aw agreed ref missed things certainly the foul on middleton

He didn't miss them he just wouldn't give them. He keeps hoping his team Kilmarnock will avoid relegation. Like I said earlier ,it is easy for a ref to effect the game without making it too obvious.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Tansers got a slight injury so not risked apparently.

Bryson started in our draw at Celtic park, and was arguably our best player at Ibrox. Conway creates more chances for us than anyone bar Wotherspoon.

Its boring as **** that people need to have players to moan about.

To be fair to Bryson he put a shift in but Conway a waste of a wage & a passenger throughout the game & missed asitter.

Not a bad performance today against a Celtic side that are coming back to somewhere near where they are expected to be form wise. 

Edouard got a sniff of goal and was pretty lethal. 

He has certainly used his squad in the past few weeks. Thought Bryson played well. We were never going to get loads of chances and good to see Rooney scoring again. 

48 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Thoughts on some Saints players asking for Celtic players jerseys.

Have never seen that in Scottish domestic football before.

Quite common in games and have seen saints players do it before. Remember you don't know what or who the strips are for maybe charities, kids etc. 

Nowt wrong with it in my view. 

4 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

“Look what I’ve brought you from the game, young Seamus”.

”What Da, What?”

”Chris Kane’s shirt”.

”Oh fek Off, Da.”

I bought a customer a signed messi shirt off ebay , probably fake, but best business iv ever ever done.

Surely kano's would do the business in perthshire?

Have already said this on here but I really think we should consider using Rooney up front. He has pretty much every attribute needed by a modern centre-forward - he's big, powerful, out-paces opponents and his attacking headers are fantastic. He's practically unbeatable in the air. Not saying he should play there every week but throwing him forward when required would give our play a completely different dimension.

Yesterday when we were chasing the game we put on MOH but it forced Rooney back into a more defensive role and only served to lessen our impact down that side of the pitch. I'd have liked to see Brown brought on to play right-back/wing-back and Rooney sent up top to play next to Kane or May. 

4 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Have already said this on here but I really think we should consider using Rooney up front. He has pretty much every attribute needed by a modern centre-forward - he's big, powerful, out-paces opponents and his attacking headers are fantastic. He's practically unbeatable in the air. Not saying he should play there every week but throwing him forward when required would give our play a completely different dimension.

Yesterday when we were chasing the game we put on MOH but it forced Rooney back into a more defensive role and only served to lessen our impact down that side of the pitch. I'd have liked to see Brown brought on to play right-back/wing-back and Rooney sent up top to play next to Kane or May. 

Rooney needs space to run. Shoving him up front would just see us conceding fouls every time the ball went up to him IMO.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Rooney needs space to run. Shoving him up front would just see us conceding fouls every time the ball went up to him IMO.

Agree with that but think it would have worked in last 15 mins as a two up front or on his own as May hardly touched the ball.

But Rooney is best as a wingback so wouldn't move him unless pushing for a goal.

If we want to play a striker who can score I would play Melamed. That guy must be pissed off. He is on his own in a foreign country ,stuck in a hotel room ,proved he can score & set up goals & can't get in the team.

12 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Agree with that but think it would have worked in last 15 mins as a two up front or on his own as May hardly touched the ball.

But Rooney is best as a wingback so wouldn't move him unless pushing for a goal.

If we want to play a striker who can score I would play Melamed. That guy must be pissed off. He is on his own in a foreign country ,stuck in a hotel room ,proved he can score & set up goals & can't get in the team.

Yep, that's what I was getting at - not converting Rooney to a permanent striker, but pushing him into that role at points in games where we're desperate for a goal and want to disrupt the opposition defence. I really think it might have worked at the end of the game yesterday and I also think it could be a useful weapon for us if we're chasing a goal in a certain upcoming Cup final. I remember seeing it done a few times with Alan Kernaghan and it often paid off.

Not sure what to make of the Melamed situation. CD only seems to trust him in a front two, which means he drops out whenever CD's preferred formation is used. I've noticed of late that Melamed either seems to start games or not get used at all - when he's on the bench he never seems to be the one who's chosen to come on.