The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Maybe so but he has a contract with them so he could choose to sit and wait that out, unless they're willing to pay it off. It may be easier and more cost effective for them to just shove him back out on loan again for the final year.

As far as I read they want him away.

Looking back over my time watching Saints (over 60 years), sometimes due to injuries we have been forced to play many who were thought to be too young.  Callum Davidson's first match, everyone was asking who's he.  First fifty-fifty tackle and we were convinced.  Griffin/McCluskey, recently, Kerr, McCann and Gordon.  

While I think for Zander's Scotland career, staying here would be best rather than be a bench warmer at Stoke, realistically, he's gone.  Sinclair seems to have far more upside than any of the usual retreads who have been mentioned on here.  He's at an age he could develop fast.  

Midfield will Davidson actually give a chance to Max, Gilmour over his normal failures.  Not just five to ten minutes.  Some actual consecutive games to get up to speed.  Their industry would help Hallberg. I'm disappointed in Eetu's move.  I thought he was raw but he had some fight about him.  Maybe he showed Crawford up too much.  

I don't see any more signings. The squad was bloated.  To me the skill set of the players shows 4,4,2 or 4,3,3. 

I know as managers struggle; they tend to become more negative in their approach.  Hopefully, by giving a decent chance to those who wish to prove they belong in the team, we could have a more positive outcome.    

1 hour ago, Northern saint said:

Looking back over my time watching Saints (over 60 years), sometimes due to injuries we have been forced to play many who were thought to be too young.  Callum Davidson's first match, everyone was asking who's he.  First fifty-fifty tackle and we were convinced.  Griffin/McCluskey, recently, Kerr, McCann and Gordon.  

While I think for Zander's Scotland career, staying here would be best rather than be a bench warmer at Stoke, realistically, he's gone.  Sinclair seems to have far more upside than any of the usual retreads who have been mentioned on here.  He's at an age he could develop fast.  

Midfield will Davidson actually give a chance to Max, Gilmour over his normal failures.  Not just five to ten minutes.  Some actual consecutive games to get up to speed.  Their industry would help Hallberg. I'm disappointed in Eetu's move.  I thought he was raw but he had some fight about him.  Maybe he showed Crawford up too much.  

I don't see any more signings. The squad was bloated.  To me the skill set of the players shows 4,4,2 or 4,3,3. 

I know as managers struggle; they tend to become more negative in their approach.  Hopefully, by giving a decent chance to those who wish to prove they belong in the team, we could have a more positive outcome.    

There will definitely be a couple of signings before the window closes. We badly need a defensive midfielder and a striker and obviously a keeper. I agree the squad was bloated but is probably now too light after all the departures. We’ve lost a serious amount of quality that needs to be replaced. 

I fear for Gilmore. I’ve just not seen enough from him to suggest he’s good enough at this level. Hopefully he can prove me wrong. 

20 hours ago, Mad on saints said:

As far as I read they want him away.

Appreciate that but what I'm saying is he has a year left on his contract so they can't just ditch him. They'll have to either pay him off or try to find another club that's willing to match his wages (which seems unlikely), otherwise he'll be better off just sitting tight for a year.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:52 AM, SaintJet said:

We have plenty experts on here who know everything but the reality is we know nothing of what goes on behind the scenes...

Davidson very publicly blamed him for our defeat at Ibrox and we all know that goal wasn't a direct cause of what he attempted.

I can't remember a point in the season where he singled out anyone else and there were far better opportunities than the Ibrox one.

Clark - not replaced

Rooney - not replaced

McCart - replaced by Considine

Craig - not replaced

Bryson - not replaced

Butterfield - not replaced

Middleton - replaced by Wright

Vertainen - replaced by Carey 

Hendry - not replaced

Ciftci - not replaced

Sound about right? ….

53 minutes ago, Tricky6 said:

Clark - not replaced

Rooney - not replaced

Craig - not replaced

Bryson - not replaced

Hendry - not replaced

Ciftci - not replaced

Sound about right? ….

I'd say that Wright is replacing Rooney.

9 hours ago, Northern saint said:

I'd be happy to give Max and Sinclair a chance but is CD too cautious.I think we know the answer to that.Disappointed to see Eetu away too.

4 hours ago, Tricky6 said:

Clark - not replaced

Rooney - not replaced

Craig - not replaced

Bryson - not replaced

Hendry - not replaced

Ciftci - not replaced

Sound about right? ….

I wouldn't see it like that.

Clark - not replaced, but will be

Rooney - replaced by Wright

McCart - replaced by Consadine

Craig - will be looking to Gilmour to fill this role

Byrson - no replaced, but will be

Butterfield - was a replacement for an injured Bryson anyway, so won't be replaced

Middleton - replaced by Carey

Vertainen - was an added extra the manager didn't want so won't be replaced

Hendry - I'd say Bair will be looked to to fill this role

Ciftci - was a stand-in for the injured Kane, so won't be replaced

Essentially I think we'll be getting another centre midfielder to replace Bryson, and a 'keeper to replace Clark. I could then see perhaps an extra cheap loan coming in that might be able to cover a few of the attacking midfield/striker positions.

15 hours ago, Tricky6 said:

Clark - not replaced

Rooney - not replaced

Craig - not replaced

Bryson - not replaced

Hendry - not replaced

Ciftci - not replaced

Sound about right? ….

Our squad was way too big last season so it was never going to be the plan to replace all of these players. What we need is more quality, not quantity. For me we need a goalkeeper, a central midfielder and a striker and they all need to be better than what we have.

7 hours ago, Shibbydoo said:

I think Max is gonna get his chance, grab it with both hands and we Ali McCann will be a distant memory.

£5m Max!

Its so hard to tell if a player has the potential to step up, when playing on tatty fields against physical opposition, but having watched Max a few times I'd love to see him given the chance.  He has that charactetistic that McCann had that he always seems to create that extra time and calmness on the ball. 

He also hits a dead ball as well as anyone in our current squad. 

I fear that he won't ever get a chance though.  

27 minutes ago, mainstand said:

really? if he is talking of young max stepping in there and he has Gilmour there aswell. 

would have thought we were well covered in midfield numbers wise

Repeating myself here but we 100% need a central midfielder. It really concerns me that Davidson is doing nothing to address an area that was a big problem for us last season.

Maybe we might get that from a loan, would love an old school hard nosed midfielder who controls the middle and can take a few scalps if required, unfortunately I don’t see us getting one of those rabbits out the hat.

At best we are going to get an untried prospect or a lower division journeyman at best.