The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

7 minutes ago, Linky said:

Davidson doesn't think we need a central midfielder, and yet we've lost 3. Are we really going with Hallberg, Davidson, MacPherson, Gilmour (& Crawford, although I imagine he'd play higher up) as our centre midfielders?

It's absolutely baffling. We don't have a single midfielder with any experience who can play the old Chris Millar role - i.e. sit in front of the defence and look for the ball and then pick out a pass. Last season when we had none of Bryson/Butterfield/Craig on the pitch our back three continually resorted to pass-pass-passing between themselves before humping the ball up the park because they had no one in front of them looking for the ball. I'm convinced this played a huge part in our inability to create chances, and I have a sinking feeling that we're going to see exactly the same thing happen this season. This position should have been one of the key priorities during this transfer window.

We're going to end up playing Hallberg further back, and completely wasting his strengths.

32 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

It's absolutely baffling. We don't have a single midfielder with any experience who can play the old Chris Millar role - i.e. sit in front of the defence and look for the ball and then pick out a pass. Last season when we had none of Bryson/Butterfield/Craig on the pitch our back three continually resorted to pass-pass-passing between themselves before humping the ball up the park because they had no one in front of them looking for the ball. I'm convinced this played a huge part in our inability to create chances, and I have a sinking feeling that we're going to see exactly the same thing happen this season. This position should have been one of the key priorities during this transfer window.

We're going to end up playing Hallberg further back, and completely wasting his strengths.

Indeed. I can understand if the budget is tight, but I would say this is more important than a striker, as we have Bair, Kane & May all competing for one role.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Repeating myself here but we 100% need a central midfielder. It really concerns me that Davidson is doing nothing to address an area that was a big problem for us last season.

Is it not possible Carey is going to be our playmaker,picking the ball up deep,and picking the passes,like Midge 

On 5/26/2022 at 11:19 PM, JDee said:

Few names i heard the other night were Drey Wright, Matt Butcher, Andy Considine and Jamie Murphy.

Looks like we missed out on Butcher but pleased with the rest of the signings.

Same guy has told me we are waiting for a GK from England on loan and that we had tried for Hemming who ultimately chose Kilmarnock.  He also said we have had preliminary discussions with Jack Hamilton but this would be ultimately to replace Parish long term and he would not be first choice.  

Happy with the Murphy signing.

I'd suggest we're now looking like this:

GK (Parish)

Wright (Brown)        Cleary (Brown)         Gordon (Mahon)     Considine (Mahon)    Gallacher (Booth)

Davidson (Gilmour)     Hallberg (MacPherson)

Carey (MOH)                                                                                          Wotherspoon (Murphy)

Bair (Kane)

Extras: May & Crawford - subs to throw on anywhere across the from 3

Max and extra CM. Montgomery to play until both Gallacher & Booth are fit again.

Still think we need another CM though, and could see Gilmour go out on loan to make space. Would hope there's substance to the rumours of Crawford going out on loan too. 

1 hour ago, Linky said:

GK (Parish)

Wright (Brown)        Cleary (Brown)         Gordon (Mahon)     Considine (Mahon)    Gallacher (Booth)

Carey (MOH)                                                                                          Wotherspoon (Murphy)

Bair (Kane)

Max and extra CM. Montgomery to play until both Gallacher & Booth are fit again.

Still think we need another CM though, and could see Gilmour go out on loan to make space. Would hope there's substance to the rumours of Crawford going out on loan too. 

This worries me a lot. On paper we actually look weaker in attack than we did last season, and that's seriously saying something.

11 minutes ago, Graeme S said:

Played 37 games over 2 seasons (98 Games) for Hibs, so, basically 1/3 games, and he's another over 30 (32). :?:

That’s the worry with his past injury record same as Considine, we are getting them on the way out not on the way up

15 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

That’s the worry with his past injury record same as Considine, we are getting them on the way out not on the way up

Dodgy hamstrings according to my mate ITK at Hibs. 

My worry isn't necessarily his age, we've had plenty of great players who've come here over 30, it's that he's another player we're "renting" - there's no "resale value" and Saints are likely to be their last "big club". 

9 minutes ago, Graeme S said:

My worry isn't necessarily his age, we've had plenty of great players who've come here over 30, it's that he's another player we're "renting" - there's no "resale value" and Saints are likely to be their last "big club". 

But look at the players we have brought through and never received a sell on value either. There are fewer and fewer players getting sold in contract. Saints are like many teams using bosman but will lose out of bosman aswell. 

21 minutes ago, Graeme S said:

Versus Zander Clark who we invested in, developed and lost for free? 

I'd see the squad as leaning more towards a 4-3-3 (or 4-4-2 when Kane is fit). 5 centre-backs, one of whom also plays right-back, feels a little light. A back 4 means real strength at depth in the back, and the possibility of going 3-5-2 if the opportunity arises.

Add in another forward, as Davidson has suggested, and a 4-3-3 means first choice players being left out across the pitch, which is what you want really. Given a large number of older signings, and some of the best players from last season returning from injuries, I'd see the squad as fitting a 4-3-3 much better than 3 centre backs.

On 6/29/2022 at 2:22 PM, blueheaven said:

I think that's reaching a bit. I think it more likely means it was the best video of a goal that the person doing the filming happened to get, so they stuck it up on the club account.

I disagree. Since then there has been a few more videos & interviews just focussed on him, plus the manager saying in an interview what a key role he will play. He started today and scored, although we seem to be playing a second-string team.

53 minutes ago, Linky said:

I disagree. Since then there has been a few more videos & interviews just focussed on him, plus the manager saying in an interview what a key role he will play. He started today and scored, although we seem to be playing a second-string team.

Not that much of a second sting team.

3 hours ago, Linky said:

GK (Parish)

Bair (Kane)

4 hours ago, Linky said:

GK (Parish)

Bair (Kane)

So we give Gilmour and Eetu 2 year contracts and loan them out on the cheap. Good piece of business Callum.?