St Johnstone vs Aberdeen - 20/8/2022

Aitchy

Second home league game of the season against an Aberdeen side that have spent a significant amount of money on new players in the past few months. 

Daniel Phillips in for the injured Cammy MacPherson would be my only change from the team that started against Rangers. Our defence and keeper seem to be gelling reasonably well, so I cant see any need for a change at this stage. In midfield, I think Hallberg has to offer more. Hopefully having Phillips beside him will offer him the protection to support the striker more. I am far from convinced by Theo Bair, but our alternatives hardly fill me with confidence either, so as well to persist with until we can hopefully get another striker in that poses more of a goal threat.

Despite Goodwin getting a considerable transfer budget, a number of his signings have come from outside of Scotland and I can see them taking a few months to get up to speed with the game here. I always think the Aberdeen support turn on their own team relatively quickly, so  in contrast to the first game against Hibs, hopefully we can show much more aggression and attacking intent from the start to try and get their support on their players backs.

Train strikes taking place on Saturday, which may have an impact on the attendance.

2- 1 to Saints.

I think from reading everyone’s comments and their first two goals should not of been given and we tried to take it to them then hopefully we can have the same mind set and take it to them.

Phillips looked like he was willing to get stuck in and hopefully Bair can get his first goal and we can take all 3 points

Aitchy review spot on, keep the same team, hopefully gelling more than Dons. Loved how quickly Phillips got up to speed, keeper made some good saves, big millwall boy etc. Just hope we stick with Bair and not do a May sub too early, lad will get so much from his first goal, really want him to succeed.

12 hours ago, Cagey said:

Don't like Montgomery at LWB as his defending is poor. I would play James Brown there as he did well in the last few games of last season.

Montgomery was on loan at Aberdeen and I don't think he did well. Goodwin will know his weaknesses.

As a back up JB is ok but a very limited and mediocre player who offers zero attacking threat. I think AM has done well and will have a point to prove v the dandies so he gets the thumbs up from me 

10 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

playing well, great to see a bit more creativity, Hallberg more involved than last few.....you can see how badly we miss a Hendry today, Bair still a bit slow, lacks clinical, needs to use his size more

Incidentally Hendry provided the assist on a plate for Salford goal today

21 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

playing well, great to see a bit more creativity, Hallberg more involved than last few.....you can see how badly we miss a Hendry today, Bair still a bit slow, lacks clinical, needs to use his size more

I thought Bair’s use of his size and strength improved massively that half. Massively. 

Feel like we’re showing them too much respect. Mitchell looking better than Harry Maguire right now!!

11 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

I thought Bair’s use of his size and strength improved massively that half. Massively. 

Feel like we’re showing them too much respect. Mitchell looking better than Harry Maguire right now!!

improved, but needs to take it further, couple of crosses he just let the keep catch without pressure