St.Johnstone V Motherwell - Saturday 12th November

SaintJet

Patchy. Thought they were more likely to grab a second towards the end than we were. Never really made that many chances despite a lot of possession. Played some neat stuff at times though, as per usual when we kept it on the ground and passed it. Disappointing but don't suppose we can argue with a draw too much.

They were a bunch of hammer throwers. Four bookings was lenient. Moult got away with about 139 fouls and van Veen should have been off for kicking Gordon. There was no intent but that doesn't matter these days. The bottom line is all that counts and that was he was extremely high and kicked him in the face. That's dangerous play, endangering an opponent or whatever else they call it now so off he should have gone. Nick Walsh is another ref that makes you wonder what the qualifying process for them. 

6 minutes ago, The Kinross Saint said:

3 substitutions killed any attacking intent we had. Assuming Montgomery was injured? If not that’s an unforgivable sub and his obsession with the terrible Crawford is bizarre.

Decent performance until Callum interfered. 

To be fair Crawford did float the ball in for the equalizer against St Mirren.

His free kick today with a minute to go must have landed in the Tesco Car park.

2 minutes ago, Lubolzer said:

To be fair Crawford did float the ball in for the equalizer against St Mirren.

His free kick today with a minute to go must have landed in the Tesco Car park.

I get he occasionally can provide a delivery or two, but as a team we’re a man down with him on the park he’s so weak.

And yeh his free kick really sums him up, he could have played a better pass just before the ref blew full time but once again he was too scared to put his foot in. 

12 minutes ago, The Kinross Saint said:

3 substitutions killed any attacking intent we had. Assuming Montgomery was injured? If not that’s an unforgivable sub and his obsession with the terrible Crawford is bizarre.

Think it was more to nullify the growing attack from their right side. As for Crawford, I am his biggest critic, but he was very neat and played some tidy passes when he came on- very harsh to pick him out for this game apart from a poor free kick.

Not sure we really asked enough questions of their back line and keeper to take the points, although we did look the more likely.

When we actually take care to pass the football we can do it and create...but too often we fluff the pass or thump it anywhere. 

The subs took the attacking threat out of us...not saying they were bad subs...just the guys that came on didn't do enough. 

Hallberg doesnt half like a meaningless yellow.

11 minutes ago, The Kinross Saint said:

Though that myself, but why not bring on Gallagher he's left footed, as lost a lot of momentum with these subs. 

But that pitch is like an ice rink players slipping everywhere it cuts up and players must be worried they slip and make mistakes, how the board think that is acceptable is beyond me been to a few east of Scotland games lately and their pitches are better and not with the budget saints have given the hibby to produce that effort.

And The captain again today all over the place and big considine was poor with his passing, solid point but feel could have went more for the three. 

Team look better than last season and bit more threat, need to clear out of some of dross and bring in a holding midfielder.

Edited by crieffsaintandy

2 minutes ago, MrBored said:

Not sure we really asked enough questions of their back line and keeper to take the points, although we did look the more likely.

When we actually take care to pass the football we can do it and create...but too often we fluff the pass or thump it anywhere. 

The subs took the attacking threat out of us...not saying they were bad subs...just the guys that came on didn't do enough. 

Hallberg doesnt half like a meaningless yellow.

No, they were bad subs.

6 hours ago, Stumpy1966 said:

You obviously didn’t see his other horror show at Methil which was actually worse than the Elgin game. I am not giving up on Mahon I think there is a player there. I had hoped he might have been loaned out to get a bit more experience. 

I will be the first to say it. I could have laced Liams boots in the last 10 minutes. 

6 hours ago, Stumpy1966 said:

You obviously didn’t see his other horror show at Methil which was actually worse than the Elgin game. I am not giving up on Mahon I think there is a player there. I had hoped he might have been loaned out to get a bit more experience. 

If Mahon is worse than Gordon then he shouldn't be at the club. Gordon was horrendous today. Very lucky on a few occasions when he lost possession.

I would have subbed him.

Dominated the first half but their goalie never had a save to make.

On half time they got a free kick that shouldn't have been given but the ball should never have got there if Hall erg hadn't shirked a challenge again.

At the free kick they lined up 2 in front of our wall but we left a gap behind them. They moved away and the player shot through the gap but it was going to be an easy stop for keeper if our player hadn't stuck out a foot.

Second half was probably more even and s draw probably the right result. It was an opportunity lost to create a gap though.

The remembrance service was completely ruined by the microphone not working. Surely if you are going to use a mic you test it beforehand.

Steve Brown must have been embarrassed and should make sure the person responsible hears about it big time.

Poor match but we did get a point.

3 hours ago, The Kinross Saint said:

I think Monty was a combination of a very sore nose and walking a tightrope for a red card.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Dominated the first half but their goalie never had a save to make.

On half time they got a free kick that shouldn't have been given but the ball should never have got there if Hall erg hadn't shirked a challenge again.

At the free kick they lined up 2 in front of our wall but we left a gap behind them. They moved away and the player shot through the gap but it was going to be an easy stop for keeper if our player hadn't stuck out a foot.

Second half was probably more even and s draw probably the right result. It was an opportunity lost to create a gap though.

I thought I was at a different game until the highlights confirmed the free kick did not go through the wall it came off the head of Clark for the deflection.

Think losing the goal we did was probably the most disappointing thing. Didnt really feel Motherwell deserved it as they rarely looked dangerous in that first half. I was surprised they finished with 11 players as they were kicking lumps out of Saints and had 3 on yellows going into the 2nd half. Saints lost their way a bit in the second half and seemed to run out of ideas. Thought Motherwell improved a bit but not enough to really trouble us enough. At times some really slick play from Saints when the ball was on the ground and we looked dangerous but with no real end product. Not sure what I think of this playing out from the back, at times it's okay and better than a punt up the field but other times it was terrifying and better teams would have punished us. 

56 minutes ago, Rob said:

Think losing the goal we did was probably the most disappointing thing. Didnt really feel Motherwell deserved it as they rarely looked dangerous in that first half. I was surprised they finished with 11 players as they were kicking lumps out of Saints and had 3 on yellows going into the 2nd half. Saints lost their way a bit in the second half and seemed to run out of ideas. Thought Motherwell improved a bit but not enough to really trouble us enough. At times some really slick play from Saints when the ball was on the ground and we looked dangerous but with no real end product. Not sure what I think of this playing out from the back, at times it's okay and better than a punt up the field but other times it was terrifying and better teams would have punished us. 

Agree about playing out from the back.

Nerves were on edge at times.

There was a moment in the second half that showed how bad the use of VAR is. Saints were breaking down the right halfway into their half and the ball went out for a throw in. We were about to take a quick throw as their defence wasn't it place and players were still running back. Walsh told them to wait while he stuck his finger in his ear. A few moments later he just waved play on by which time Motherwell had managed to set themselves up properly and the attack blunted. An absolute joke. 

2 hours ago, Stumpy1966 said:

With the lack of height we have in our attacking players I think it’s the way we have to play. Yes it’s nerve racking but that is football. 

Agree, when they went long their defenders won the ball sometimes illegally but the ref let them away with it . We all get nervous when we try to play out from the back , this shouldn't just be playing the ball to 2 centre backs on the edge of the box who are not great with the ball at their feet. We should be playing through midfield but I have no problem going long occasionally 

1 hour ago, Sergei said:

There was a moment in the second half that showed how bad the use of VAR is. Saints were breaking down the right halfway into their half and the ball went out for a throw in. We were about to take a quick throw as their defence wasn't it place and players were still running back. Walsh told them to wait while he stuck his finger in his ear. A few moments later he just waved play on by which time Motherwell had managed to set themselves up properly and the attack blunted. An absolute joke. 

There were times yesterday when I thought the VAR ref was refereeing the game as sometimes it looked like it was about 5 seconds before he gave free kicks.