Scottish cup 2022/23

Cagey

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

In fairness to him I think moving Drey to right back and bringing on another winger was the way to go, although I’d have had Murphy or Wotherspoon on before Carey. Was quite worried when Brown got injured that Davidson would shit himself and go back to his trusted back five, so kudos to him for sticking with the four I guess 

But he is paid to make those calls. Not a single St.Johnstone supporter would have opted for Carey yesterday, yet Callum did. As you say, Wotherspoon, Murphy… better options but he made a decision that ultimately cost us the match. Carey was not only poor for the goal, he was poor the whole time he was on the pitch and has been for weeks.

Looks like it was 450 in the home section which would make it the new record low home attendance, if hospitality isn't included in that. Mind you I expect we'd need to reduce the 450 a bit as there's always some bigots weasel their way in.

Obviously we'll never know the actual financial situation but would guesstimate 30-40k lost. In addition to also setting back fan relations like never before, what a marvelous 'business decision' this was. Well done Mr Chairman. 

3 hours ago, Sergei said:

Looks like it was 450 in the home section which would make it the new record low home attendance, if hospitality isn't included in that. Mind you I expect we'd need to reduce the 450 a bit as there's always some bigots weasel their way in.

Obviously we'll never know the actual financial situation but would guesstimate 30-40k lost. In addition to also setting back fan relations like never before, what a marvelous 'business decision' this was. Well done Mr Chairman. 

Can't agree with your arithmetic I'm afraid.  Last Sevco game with their normal ticket allocation drew 7,457 so if anything the club made  a few thousand extra.  However, I would agree that this pales into insignificance when set against the massive kick in the teeth to loyal fans who have supported Saints through thick and thin.

26 minutes ago, south inch said:

Can't agree with your arithmetic I'm afraid.  Last Sevco game with their normal ticket allocation drew 7,457 so if anything the club made  a few thousand extra.  However, I would agree that this pales into insignificance when set against the massive kick in the teeth to loyal fans who have supported Saints through thick and thin.

They take a smaller percentage of yesterday's takings than they would a league game though.

Probably offset by increased ticket price maybe.

The damage done by the boycott wasnt financial. 

1 hour ago, south inch said:

7,457 includes season tickets

5 hours ago, south inch said:

Lost, not loss. I meant they lost 50% of the income of circa 3000 fans with the decisions. 

Have to admit I expected us to get walloped on Saturday, and put 6-0 in the prediction league. The fact that there was only one goal in it really proves that on our day we can still run these kind of games really close even in the middle of a rotten run of form, and I can't help but wonder if a vocal Saints backing on both sides of the pitch could have made even a small difference (which might have been all we needed).

As it is, Saints will have gained basically nothing, even financially, from their handling of this game. Give the Rangers fans the two end stands and one end of the Main Stand, and the Saints fans the other end plus the East Stand, with reasonable pricing and some enthusiastic marketing, and the attendance and income from the game wouldn't have been all that different. And who knows if it may also have cost us the income that a cup run could have brought. When all's done and dusted, all they've achieved is to piss off their key regular customer base.

Really hope Saints have learned something from this.

57 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Have to admit I expected us to get walloped on Saturday, and put 6-0 in the prediction league. The fact that there was only one goal in it really proves that on our day we can still run these kind of games really close even in the middle of a rotten run of form, and I can't help but wonder if a vocal Saints backing on both sides of the pitch could have made even a small difference (which might have been all we needed).

As it is, Saints will have gained basically nothing, even financially, from their handling of this game. Give the Rangers fans the two end stands and one end of the Main Stand, and the Saints fans the other end plus the East Stand, with reasonable pricing and some enthusiastic marketing, and the attendance and income from the game wouldn't have been all that different. And who knows if it may also have cost us the income that a cup run could have brought. When all's done and dusted, all they've achieved is to piss off their key regular customer base.

Really hope Saints have learned something from this.

I agree 100% with everything you have said. My only reservation is how many of the east stand season ticket holders would have paid £30 to go to an old firm game when many don’t go when they have already paid. I for one hate these games and would not have paid £30 (£20) to go and I have been a loyal supporter through thick and thin for nearly 70 year. As you said handled very badly. 

15 hours ago, pezza70 said:

A question for anyone who attended from here, what was the talk amongst you all there about the boycott?

Not even mentioned ..but a previous postee was correct.. there were infiltrators not as you’d expect in the hospitality area where they showed their support with their Rangers ties and leaping out of their seat when their team scored… but when the ‘away’ fans started singing GSTK a guy beside me started singing.. telt him to shut up! No winners in this one I’m afraid.. I do agree dissent over the price was correct but I think both sides didn’t handle it well.. it will be interesting to see if those who boycotted their own team over the £30 price will rock up to Ibroke on Saturday and part with £31.. that’s where the real boycott should be! 
I am not slagging anyone off from either side both sides had their reasons and I didn’t disagree with anyone! As anyone who is a Saints fan knows EVERYONE hates us so the last thing we need is to be fighting between ourselves! However can  someone please explain? I missed the memo on official boycott? Are we expected to boycott every game home or away if it’s over £20… seeking clarification on this because if there are no boycotts planned is it only our own team we are shooting in the foot 

Edited by Wendy Saints
Bad grammar

No mention of the additional cost, and unpleasantness, of cleaning up after the orcs for the return of the season ticket holders in the East Stand.  Or maybe they were on their best behaviour and didn't break/piss on/smash bottles on anything.  I noticed that the no large flags rule was ignored, so suggests that there wasn't much security in place for them.

1 hour ago, Wendy Saints said:

it will be interesting to see if those who boycotted their own team over the £30 price will rock up to Ibroke on Saturday and part with £31.. that’s where the real boycott should be! 

I certainly won't. I haven't been at an away game at Ibrox or Celtic Park in years. In fact I give most away games a miss these days because of what I consider to be unacceptable pricing. I used to go to nearly every game home and away but I've pretty much been priced out of away games now.

I've no idea why Rangers and Celtic fans seem unbothered by the prices they're asked to pay both home and away, but that's up to them. If they were to start boycotting expensive away tickets, it would have a huge impact.

1 hour ago, Wendy Saints said:

However can  someone please explain? I missed the memo on official boycott? Are we expected to boycott every game home or away if it’s over £20… seeking clarification on this because if there are no boycotts planned is it only our own team we are shooting in the foot 

I'm not sure if this is intended as tongue-in-cheek or not but there was no official boycott (I'm sure you know that). People simply decided for themselves that they didn't want to go. 

Personally I'd like to see a lot more fan action against high pricing (not just at Saints, but UK-wide) but sadly that seems unlikely. If there was a nationwide Twenty's Plenty Day where fans everywhere boycotted all football tickets over £20, it would give clubs a lot to think about.

41 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I certainly won't. I haven't been at an away game at Ibrox or Celtic Park in years. In fact I give most away games a miss these days because of what I consider to be unacceptable pricing. I used to go to nearly every game home and away but I've pretty much been priced out of away games now.

I've no idea why Rangers and Celtic fans seem unbothered by the prices they're asked to pay both home and away, but that's up to them. If they were to start boycotting expensive away tickets, it would have a huge impact.

I'm not sure if this is intended as tongue-in-cheek or not but there was no official boycott (I'm sure you know that). People simply decided for themselves that they didn't want to go. 

Personally I'd like to see a lot more fan action against high pricing (not just at Saints, but UK-wide) but sadly that seems unlikely. If there was a nationwide Twenty's Plenty Day where fans everywhere boycotted all football tickets over £20, it would give clubs a lot to think about.

I agree Ibrox and Parkhead - My days of visiting them are over when we are playing the old firm.

I agree about the pricing for matches these days but I can see these becoming the norm going forward. I'd be happier if some clubs used an incentive now and again and rewarded regular fans and certainly fans with young kids. At the end of the day the bottom line is what clubs look at.

I still enjoy the odd away match when I can. 

Both Dundee teams 

Both HIbs and Hearts

Motherwell

Livingston

Partick

How many home fans at OF games are pay at the gate? Would assume/guess a massive percentage are season tickets.  So the stupid prices for these games seem to be levied at away fans?

Which in turn leads to the extortionate price we saw being in place when they come to town.

It's a spiral that will eventually eat itself, by which time a lot of people will have been priced out of the game.

Only answer is to cap all away tickets at a reasonable price. 20? 25? Ideally this would incentivise clubs to control prices for their own fans.

Or maybe not

35 minutes ago, St. Paddy said:

How many home fans at OF games are pay at the gate? Would assume/guess a massive percentage are season tickets.  So the stupid prices for these games seem to be levied at away fans?

Which in turn leads to the extortionate price we saw being in place when they come to town.

It's a spiral that will eventually eat itself, by which time a lot of people will have been priced out of the game.

Only answer is to cap all away tickets at a reasonable price. 20? 25? Ideally this would incentivise clubs to control prices for their own fans.

Or maybe not

Surely pay at the gate is not available for OF games.

If you pay at the gate do you get a seat number to avoid sitting in a ST holders seat and causing trouble.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Because they are the dregs of society both politically and religiously coupled with the fact that they are absolute glory hunters. So it's worth paying £30 + when there's a 90% chance your team will win and win well.

Edited by rik2304

30 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Because they are the dregs of society both politically and religiously coupled with the fact that they are absolute glory hunters. So it's worth paying £30 + when there's a 90% chance your team will win and win well.

I don't know how it works with the old firm but clubs in England incentivise away games so they gain points and get easier access to bigger games like cup final etc.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Surely pay at the gate is not available for OF games.

If you pay at the gate do you get a seat number to avoid sitting in a ST holders seat and causing trouble.

I meant the games in Glasgow,  sorry should have been clearer.

If 95% of the home crowd has a season ticket (guesstimate.) Where is the incentive for them to keep day ticket prices affordable, as it mainly affects away fans?

Unless there is legislation enforced where tickets have to be capped within a proportional percentage of the cost of a season ticket, they will continue to charge 30quid plus to away fans. 

For a fairly crappy seat, in a pretty crappy atmosphere, under a torrent of bile, pies and sectarian triumphalism?

I can see why folks aren't turning up, which gives the gruesomes extra license to fleece the ardent supporters of visiting teams.