Summer transfers/contracts 2023

garydavidson

19 hours ago, blueheaven said:

May's more than good enough with the right partner next to him. We saw that with Clark last season. His streaks of form don't just appear out of thin air. They happen when we play to his strengths, which sadly is very rarely.

I really, really hope Jephcott can be someone who brings the best out of May once fit and sharp, but we've seen only very fleeting glimpses of anything like that so far.

This is bang on about Steve May. When Clark arrived he transformed our forwrad play with May and him running channels and creating so many chance.

Really gets me cross when I hear people slating May when you see his work rate.

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

This is bang on about Steve May. When Clark arrived he transformed our forwrad play with May and him running channels and creating so many chance.

Really gets me cross when I hear people slating May when you see his work rate.

It’s absolutely wild that we’ve still not figured out how to get the best out of May, given who his former assistant manager and now manager is! 

5 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Started out in the Southampton academy, who have a good record with youngsters.

Right footed when it's a left footer we require.

Mind you trials for Burton, Bristol and Plymouth. Hope it was because he didn't fancy any of them that he didn't sign.

Two young defenders from top premiership teams, but who have barely played a game between them. Who knows what they are going to be like, but I imagine they are definitely cheap. I'm assuming MacLean would rather take a punt on two cheap young players rather than a solid, but more expensive older one. I can understand this, but just hope it'll pay off.

I'm guessing a large chunk of the budget will go on a proven left-winger now, and I could then see a young centre midfielder coming in too.

23 hours ago, Brian Potter said:

It’s absolutely wild that we’ve still not figured out how to get the best out of May, given who his former assistant manager and now manager is! 

In fairness, I think that's a big part of the reason why we've signed Jephcott. Macca must surely be well aware that May needs a certain type of player up front next to him.

23 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Dunfermline have made Spoony an offer. Still time for Saints to bring him back.

Why? People need to realise Spoony isn't the answer to our issues, he was let go for a reason. Pining after him constantly is just blue tinted fantasy. 

Did he leave the wrong way, yes. Was it the right decision based on his contributions and play style, yes. 

5 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Why not?

One bad 45 minutes, as a teenager, in your first competitive game against a side higher than League Two, where the whole team is struggling, and you completely write him off?

I'm not writing him off, I didn't see the game. But it seems clear to me from the manager's actions and words that he doesn't count him as part of his squad.

38 minutes ago, Linky said:

I'm not writing him off, I didn't see the game. But it seems clear to me from the manager's actions and words that he doesn't count him as part of his squad.

Based on him being subbed off at half time? James Brown was too.

Ive not seen any comments directed at solely Parker either.

If we can add Olufunwa our defensive numbers will finally be starting to look a bit healthier. That'll mean we'll have Gordon, Considine, McClelland, Olufunwa, McGowan and Brown, and at a push also Booth, who are all able to do a turn in central defence.

Assume the next priority is a winger?