Celtic v Saints, 26 /08/2023

blueheaven

Anyone feeling even slightly confident or positive about this happening tomorrow? If we lose tomorrow it'll be the first time since our 01/02 relegation season that we've lost our first three league games. Not sure when the last time was that we didn't manage to score a goal in our first three league games, but it hasn't happened in the last 20 years.

Very hard to predict what the starting line-up will be as quite a lot has changed since our last game. Are we expecting Costelloe, Turner-Cooke and Robinson to all go straight into the starting line-up?

At a wild punt I reckon the team might be something like this:

__________________Mitov

Olufunwa McClelland Gordon Robinson

____________McGowan Phillips

Costelloe ____ Turner-Cooke ______ Carey

___________________May

No confidence at all, am preparing for the worst, right now we are so off the pace I will take anything other a big stuffing from them.

I think we will be on the end of a fired up Celtic after being bundled out of the cup.

Nothing over 3 is a bonus in my eyes and I hate even saying this.

Saintees to Win ( man I haven’t put that in writing since the old mailing list days)

It feels to me like a bit of a free hit this game.

Most teams will lose this fixture and there's no disgrace in losing it. Given we've got a lot of new players come in recently, it's an opportunity for them to find their feet and get to know each other in a game were defeat isn't that much of a disappointment. Even a proper hammering will highlight where the cracks are and be useful for next week's game, which is much, much more important for us.

But, we will be a bit of an unknown quantity to Celtic. They'll have no idea how we'll line up. They are off the back of a defeat to Killie, and hopefully confidence will have taken a knock. An early goal for us could see their confidence rocked. So I'm not writing it off as a guaranteed defeat, even if any points are a bonus.

Either way, I can imagine the team will turn up for training on Monday seeing some positives which have come out of the results. We might come away pointless, but there will certainly be things we can use going forwards. I'd much rather have this fixture this weekend than be playing the Dundee (h) game tomorrow.

Edited by That_Dave
typo

6 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Anyone feeling even slightly confident or positive about this happening tomorrow? If we lose tomorrow it'll be the first time since our 01/02 relegation season that we've lost our first three league games. Not sure when the last time was that we didn't manage to score a goal in our first three league games, but it hasn't happened in the last 20 years.

Very hard to predict what the starting line-up will be as quite a lot has changed since our last game. Are we expecting Costelloe, Turner-Cooke and Robinson to all go straight into the starting line-up?

At a wild punt I reckon the team might be something like this:

__________________Mitov

Olufunwa McClelland Gordon Robinson

____________McGowan Phillips

Costelloe ____ Turner-Cooke ______ Carey

___________________May

Swap Smith with McGowan and that's the side. Ryan looking like he is out tomorrow. 

It's a free hit.  The least I hope for is we show some semblance of disciplined play and that coaching is instilling a pattern of play which will fit the players.  Team wise, I would feel happier if Gordon is dropped. His play hasn't warranted a spot for months. The defence might not be a bomb scare.  

I liked what was written on the Newcastle website about Turner-Cooke.  If he could produce the assists and goals, it will be a bonus. 

If we can show anything as an attacking force, that would be a massive lift to the supporters.  Too often we've gone with no ambition.   

Watching live from Canada. Playing at Parkhead in front of 50,000 roaring Hoop supporters will be  an awesome shock for our new lads. Might help if our defense can handle the Kamikaze kids. Can't leave it all up to our amazing new goalie!, Getting goals hard when our forwards are so unclinical in front of goal. Lets hope the new blood can shoot straighter!

For me, this is a good opportunity to test our ability to **** fest a result, which we'll need to do many times this season.

It's obvious that it's going to be a while before we see any kind of positive return for the recruitment made in this window.

So until then, we need to be able to eke out results so that we don't get detached.

I can't think of a better place to test this ability to close down a game than Celtic Park.

Do the basics right, stay focused, press high and often.

I'd go with the same team as BH above, even though I never like Stevie May up front on his own, going with a two at this time and at this venue would be unwise to say the least. Understatement.

If we don't end up getting cuffed then that would be a good result.

If we somehow managed to come away with something, I can't even put into words how that would feel.

Get past this, then the first, real big game of the season next week.

Much respect to everybody who's making the journey through.

Edited by Gekko

You can't play two up front at Celtic Park. They bypass it too easily then you are effectively 8 against 8 in an attack versus defence exercise. Suicide.

The other side of the coin is you have to ensure it remains 8 against 9 and not 8 against 10, otherwise you are just plugging the dam. The striker being able to take the ball in at least forces them to start again.

Time for Stevie May to stand up and be counted as a senior player. Lone striker isn't his game but he needs to get the sleeves rolled up and get on with it. Get your body between the ball and the centre backs, take the hits and get your team up the park.

As someone said above, today a perfect opportunity to show we can have a good shape and discipline and make it hard for the opposition. There will be no excuses if they can't display that they've been coached to do that. Just meekly accepting a pasting isn't acceptable.

If this ends up the realms of embarrassment then, IMO, we should potentially be looking at making a managerial change within the next few weeks.

4 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

You can't play two up front at Celtic Park. They bypass it too easily then you are effectively 8 against 8 in an attack versus defence exercise. Suicide.

The other side of the coin is you have to ensure it remains 8 against 9 and not 8 against 10, otherwise you are just plugging the dam. The striker being able to take the ball in at least forces them to start again.

Time for Stevie May to stand up and be counted as a senior player. Lone striker isn't his game but he needs to get the sleeves rolled up and get on with it. Get your body between the ball and the centre backs, take the hits and get your team up the park.

As someone said above, today a perfect opportunity to show we can have a good shape and discipline and make it hard for the opposition. There will be no excuses if they can't display that they've been coached to do that. Just meekly accepting a pasting isn't acceptable.

If this ends up the realms of embarrassment then, IMO, we should potentially be looking at making a managerial change within the next few weeks.

Won't get the sack on the strength of a hammering from Celtic but if we get beat from Dundee that's another matter.