WHO IS NEXT IN THE HOT SEAT..

GOB10

TBH I wouldn't be against Craig Levein helping out until the end of the season to help us steady things and then make a call on what to do next when we reach the summer and see what division we're in.

Hypothetical question for everyone: if we play the Motherwell game with Cleland still in charge, and we win that game, would people be in any rush to change things? Not saying Cleland would be a long-term option for the job (I don't think he even wants it), but if he's getting a response out of the players and getting results, why not just let him carry on for a bit, perhaps with an extra coach brought in to help him?

8 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

TBH I wouldn't be against Craig Levein helping out until the end of the season to help us steady things and then make a call on what to do next when we reach the summer and see what division we're in.

Hypothetical question for everyone: if we play the Motherwell game with Cleland still in charge, and we win that game, would people be in any rush to change things? Not saying Cleland would be a long-term option for the job (I don't think he even wants it), but if he's getting a response out of the players and getting results, why not just let him carry on for a bit, perhaps with an extra coach brought in to help him?

Interesting situation isn't it.  At what stage do you conclude that a coach has no ambition, and isn't a good candidate for manager?  Tony Doc was another case, looked destined to be Del's 2nd in command forever, and then seems to be doing OK at Dundee (last night excepted).  Cleland has seen everything first hand, good and bad about our management since McInnes, there's no question that he SHOULD know what is required to succeed.

Levein seems to spend his whole life watching football matches, fair play to him for the positive input he has at Brechin, but I don't get the impression he's looking for a managers job again.

6 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Cleland always seems to have been a reliable pair of hands when called upon, despite not having much obvious wow-factor (at least as far as I can see).  That's why he's probably been at Saints as long as he has - managers have come and gone but Cleland always stays around.  I think you're probably right - he's probably been considered for manager before but has indicated he doesn't want it, and I don't think that will change this time round.  He seems a good guy to have at the club, and offers some consistency, and I hope he stays with us when the new manager comes in, whoever that is.

It's probably just a coincidence that he was at the game last night, but Craig Levein coming in doesn't fill me with complete dread either.  Other than that, I don't know who I'd want as manager.  Just not Brown or Mulgrew.

From the BBC

Charlie Mulgrew, the 37-year-old former Celtic and Scotland defender who retired from playing this year after leaving Dundee United, has told Lucky Block that he would "love" the opportunity to get into management and coaching and that the vacancy with St Johnstone "would excite me". (Daily Record)

Former Scotland manager Craig Levein was in the stand at McDiarmid Park as St Johnstone secured their first Scottish Premiership win of the season after caretaker manager Alex Cleland took charge for the first time against Kilmarnock. (Scottish Sun)

7 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

From the BBC

Charlie Mulgrew, the 37-year-old former Celtic and Scotland defender who retired from playing this year after leaving Dundee United, has told Lucky Block that he would "love" the opportunity to get into management and coaching and that the vacancy with St Johnstone "would excite me". (Daily Record)

Former Scotland manager Craig Levein was in the stand at McDiarmid Park as St Johnstone secured their first Scottish Premiership win of the season after caretaker manager Alex Cleland took charge for the first time against Kilmarnock. (Scottish Sun)

No, we already had a rookie.

No I don't want to play negative 5-5-0 football.

Plus I don't want a manager that is competing with us to stay up and has a stable squad that he can't get a tune out of.

10 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

From the BBC

No thank you

Levein isn't for me.

He was a successful football manager nearly 20 years ago, but what has he done since then? His spell at Hearts both as a manager and DOF was by all accounts a disaster with many of the same issues raised which were similar to Davidson tenure with us - poor recruitment, a bloated squad, negative tactics and bizarre team selections.

Results and stats since the season don't back this up, but I genuinely don't believe our team is as bad as it is being made out to be. I have seen our own fans and others from outside the club saying that we are one of the worst teams to ever be in the top flight, but I don't believe that. We have a lot of work ahead of us and will need a bit of luck on the injury front, but if we can keep the likes of Mitov, Sprangler, Smith, Kano and Clark fit then I think that we have more than enough about to be competitive.  

My top two choices for the new manager would have been Neilson or Lennon, but it appears like neither of them are likely to be in the running. None of the names currently being mentioned in the media today particularly fill me with confidence.