Saints v Aberdeen, 24 Jan 2024

SaintPeter91

Poor first half, both sides seemed content to pass the ball backwards as much as they could.

Better second half, cracking hit from Carey, though the keeper should have got it. VAR doing what VAR does, getting involved so they can make an impact on a game. Not seen either decision back, but both looked pretty soft and for a spell it looked like we didnt have an answer. One quality cross, one guy taking a chance to get in the box and we get a well deserved equaliser.

Either side could won it in the end. They had a couple of decent chances....Max's shot of the bar deserved better.

If we play that midfield more often we should be looking up rather than down this season. Smith, Phillips and Spangler all good on the ball, willing to take it in tight spaces and trust their ability.

Defensively we are ropey. Number of headers that our back three won with no real challenge and promptly headed the ball to an Aberdeen player was quite some feat.

I like that midfield, Phillips is some boy.

Keltjens looks like a find, also thought Kimpioka did well when he came on.

It's a pity that Max shot at the end didn't go in, it would have been some goal.

The players all look up for it, which is pleasing.

I suppose it's a positive that I'm disappointed we didn't get all three points.

Massive couple of games on the way.

Both decisions were soft. Goal  chalked off . McGrath kicked Gordon's boot and went down and it had no effect , nothing was stopping Carey's shot certainly not McGrath if he didn't get "fouled".

The penalty the guy kicked it out before Gordon made contact.

Apart from the "fouls" which I think he was unlucky with there were about 3 times he had free headers and instead of heading to one of the Saints beside him he heads it where he is facing ,to an Aberdeen player.

He also thinks he is a footballer and when he tried to dribble out of defence I have the fear.

Near the end of the game he had a easy pass up the right wing but he tries to turn and gets caught in possession and was rescued by a team mate

He has to be dropped. I was a  it can but he has become a liability

Hope young Smith is decent.

Only one team was going to win that tonight in the second half, until captain fantastic decides to get involved, the guys a total liability, every defensive header straight to the opposition, lunging in all the time in the box, distribution is awful, levein was a decent centre half surely he can see this guys limitations and points he is costing us. Apart from that thought majority of them battled hard and should have got the three points 

8 hours ago, PerthSaint01 said:

First time I remember our RWB being in the box to attack a cross from our LWB since the days of Booth to Rooney.

Was Gallachers miss v Kilmarnock not from a Franczak cross?

Thought we were awful until the disallowed goal, which seemed to wake everyone up. Then we opened up properly after falling behind and dominated, helped by Aberdeen changing to a back 5.

Staying up the aim so fair enough, but its hard going watching such a passive, defensive, style. It was like that against Airdrie and the first half last night, and i think its something that gets you into bother more often than it wins you games. Saturday a real test to see whether its just everyone getting going again.

Such an odd starting selection. Couldn't quite believe that Levein had already decided to revert to sticking Jaiyesimi up front on his own. I really thought we'd moved on from that.

Felt like Levein was treating Aberdeen at home like we'd expect to treat one of the Old Firm away. We gave them way too much respect and were scared to have a go and that's why we were so poor in the first half. When the midfield got the ball they had nowhere to go with it. In the second half we finally started to try to have a go and play the way we should have been from the start. Aberdeen are absolutely nothing to fear and we really need to be brave enough to try to win our home games against other teams in the bottom 6, rather than holding back and trying to grind out 0-0 draws.

That all said, I thought DJ probably had his best game for us - got on the end of a few chances and did his best to provide an outlet in what was an almost impossible task up there on his own. Also really liking the Sprangler-Smith-Phillips midfield combo. Three really good players who each have a few different qualities. Felt Keltjens had a little bit of a nervous start but certainly has a nice touch and grew into the game. Would like to see him press forward more, though.

Didn't see enough of Kimpioka to come to much of a verdict but have to say I liked his tendency to run quickly into channels to provide an outlet for through-balls from players like Smith. His introduction definitely gave Aberdeen something different to think about. He probably needs someone like Clark playing off him, though.

Haven't really mentioned the VAR stuff but none of it's unexpected. Is there any real positive to having it at all? I was always fine with just having refs and accepting that they'd miss things and make mistakes from time to time. It was better than what we've ended up with.

29 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Haven't really mentioned the VAR stuff but none of it's unexpected. Is there any real positive to having it at all? I was always fine with just having refs and accepting that they'd miss things and make mistakes from time to time. It was better than what we've ended up with.

Perfect summary of VAR.  We've ended up with just as many talking points, just ridiculous delays during the match that massive dilute the atmosphere of just about every critical moment.  The whole celebrate - wait for 4 minutes - maybe celebrate a bit more or maybe swear at the invisible man is pathetic.

Agree with the above 3 posters.

Levein giving teams too much respect.

Midfield did well second half when wing scks pushed up.

Keltjens started nervously but came on to a game and looks like he could be the answer at RWB.

VAR is a disaster and cost us the 2 points that could be important at the end of the season.

First half was dire with both teams set up to not lose a goal hence no saves by the goalies. Saints 5 at the back with full back not allowed over the half way line.

Second half Levein must have realised Aberdeen were poor and opened up up bit with Wing backs pushing up and combining with midfield to make chances.

Beaton seemed to give all 50/50 challenges/free kicks to Aberdeen. 20 against Saints 8 against Aberdeen. 4 bookings for Saints 1 for Aberdeen and that was for a dive. Although he got the 2 important decisions correct but was overruled by a rookie referee that has never referred a Premiership game.

Game plans seem roughly aligned to what United fans had said about Levein. Get to half time at 0-0 and then have more of a go in the second half.

I’m going to disagree with the majority on Gordon, thought he was solid again last night and organised well. Silly foul to give away but perhaps a tad unfortunate. Frustrates me that our entire defence seems happy to just head the ball back into the middle of the park under no pressure at all.

Its not the fact both decisions went against us that is even my biggest gripe about VAR, there is almost no point actually attending a a live game anymore, the paying fans in the ground are left not knowing what is going on.

VAR is fine watching a game at home on TV, you get to see the incidents again and while maybe dont agree you at least know whats happened.

Last night I imagine most were like me and didnt have a clue why the goal was dissallowed or the pen given until they either got home or managed to get a signal to read social media comments on their phone. Being at the game is actually a disadvantage.

I was thinking, would it help if refs had to explain their decisions , the VAR Tv is able to connect to tannoy, that would just take up more time though but at least we d understand what was happening.

We are losing out on playing time , if the added time was to have been kept properly last night, it would have been way more that 8 mins, the injury near the end must have been 4 mins on its own, add in the 2 VAR incidents, it should have been into double figures the added time.        

1 hour ago, Strawman said:

Its not the fact both decisions went against us that is even my biggest gripe about VAR, there is almost no point actually attending a a live game anymore, the paying fans in the ground are left not knowing what is going on.

Totally agree with this. We've gained nothing from VAR at all and I struggle to think of a single positive. There are just as many disputed decisions as there ever were (in fact probably even more so now, as they're scrutinised so much more). And there are just so many delays now, so much confusion, and so much of the spontaneous joy and celebration that used to come from a goal being scored has been completely killed. The flow of the game has been really damaged, and for what?

It's all been done for the benefit of TV but I don't even think TV has gained much from it really. Even before VAR they were still able to pore over every decision and claim it was right or wrong, so really what's the difference?

I'm also completely bored of all football TV coverage now just turning into a dull, unresolvable analysis of VAR and refereeing decisions. I just could not care less about any of it, it really isn't what I'm interested in football for.

Late adding my opinion after last night but I have to say I'm a bit dissapointed reading some of the flack Gordon is getting. If we are being brutally honest - come on -  I thought he was unlucky at both goals and these VAR decisions were ridiculous. 

We never catch a break against the Sheep. The first half was utterly forgetable but I thought all things considered we stuck in when I thought we were going to slip to another defeat. 

Defence looked pretty solid and McGowan again impressed. The new lad looks a good find, great goal and Gordon was pretty sound, he's a bit agricultural at times but I think there is pile on at times when some people smell blood. He's our Captain so let's build him up to where he was a couple years back.

Robinson had his best game for Saints in my opinion and Sprangler was good too; he'll get better with a good run in the team. Philips is brilliant and we need to help him in the midfield becasue his yellow card count is racking up.

Jais was unlucky not to score and he's got a nice turn of pace - he's improving everytime I see him and deserves to start on Saturday.

Most pleasing is we kept battling for a deserved point and we should have won it.

VAR! Get it tae....

3 hours ago, saintgscot said:

Nothing to do with this topic to a degree. But I asked my mate last night and he couldn’t answer. But an I right in saying every sending off we have had through VAR at McDiarmid this season been overturned?

I don't think the Costelloe one was.