St. Johnstone v Hamilton Accademical - Saturday 16th January 2016

Markinch Saint

My thoughts on todays game are .... Two shite teams,on a shite pitch, shite decision making, officiated by a shite ref. The only positive I can take from that is we never lost a goal. I hope my eyes stop bleeding sometime soon. Oh and Tommy Wright. dinnae dare come out and say we were the better team, we deserved to win etc etc. We weren't and we didn't.

St. Johnstone FC ‏@St_Johnstone_FC  1h1 hour ago
Tommy Wright: "We dominated, created several good opportunities and Sutton was unlucky to see his effort cleared off the line"

Hamilton came for a point and got it, their time wasting tactics know no limits, McGovern getting the ball rolling (or not in this case) as early as the 35th minute with the never ending goal kick routine.

They were aggressive, physical and did nothing but assault our players at every 50/50. Unfortunately the referee seemed to be officiating a rugby match in his head and continued to ignore it. 

We looked like we were denied a blatant penalty, the ball clearly striking the arm of an accies player.

We were simply to flat to overcome these tactics and frankly our lack of creativity and determination is why we have a point tonight and not 3. I have a horrible feeling clean sheets are once again the managers priority. 

Finally, the pitch is a disgrace, why on earth the U20s continued to play on it as late as October is beyond me. 

Hamilton came for a point and got it, their time wasting tactics know no limits, McGovern getting the ball rolling (or not in this case) as early as the 35th minute with the never ending goal kick routine.

They were aggressive, physical and did nothing but assault our players at every 50/50. Unfortunately the referee seemed to be officiating a rugby match in his head and continued to ignore it. 

We looked like we were denied a blatant penalty, the ball clearly striking the arm of an accies player.

We were simply to flat to overcome these tactics and frankly our lack of creativity and determination is why we have a point tonight and not 3. I have a horrible feeling clean sheets are once again the managers priority. 

Finally, the pitch is a disgrace, why on earth the U20s continued to play on it as late as October is beyond me. 

The grass was still growing in Nov.

The pitch is going to be bad, Off memory, it's had major work at least twice over the past decade which hasn't cured our problems. we've had record rainfall for two consecutive months, it didn't stand a chance. 

I think going fully synthetic might be the only solution, it can't cause any more injuries than a pitch in the state of ours. Glow lamps and semi synthetic grass is outwith our budget 

Not much to say really. Another very disappointing and worrying performance. That Hamilton team is absolutely dire, offering nothing apart from overt physicality, and we didn't test them nearly enough. The pitch is dreadful, but can that be used as the sole excuse? In the fantastic match programme interview, Spoony said that we're just needing a bit of luck. Sorry, but I'm not buying it. You make your own luck. This goal drought is becoming a serious matter, as are our below-par performances.

If O'Halloran leaves (and even if he doesn't), we're in need of one or two new recruits to revitalise this team. We're in danger of undoing all our good work prior to this slump. It is not a positive situation to find ourselves in as we approach a semi-final.

Kudos to Craig Thomson. He started off nervously, but grew into the game as it progressed. Joe Shaughnessy also played well and we kept a clean sheet. Those are the positives.          

Not much to say really. Another very disappointing and worrying performance. That Hamilton team is absolutely dire, offering nothing apart from overt physicality, and we didn't test them nearly enough. The pitch is dreadful, but can that be used as the sole excuse? In the fantastic match programme interview, Spoony said that we're just needing a bit of luck. Sorry, but I'm not buying it. You make your own luck. This goal drought is becoming a serious matter, as are our below-par performances.

If O'Halloran leaves (and even if he doesn't), we're in need of one or two new recruits to revitalise this team. We're in danger of undoing all our good work prior to this slump. It is not a positive situation to find ourselves in as we approach a semi-final.

Kudos to Craig Thomson. He started off nervously, but grew into the game as it progressed. Joe Shaughnessy also played well and we kept a clean sheet. Those are the positives.          

I agree dude

The grass was still growing in Nov.

The pitch is going to be bad, Off memory, it's had major work at least twice over the past decade which hasn't cured our problems. we've had record rainfall for two consecutive months, it didn't stand a chance. 

I think going fully synthetic might be the only solution, it can't cause any more injuries than a pitch in the state of ours. Glow lamps and semi synthetic grass is outwith our budget 

The fact that our pitch is historically always fairly bad though surely would suggest it could do with more recovery time? 

Even if the grass is still growing the turf in general is still being cut up and damaged and with Forfar down the road doing the job just now for the U20s why not keep them there all season? 

I agree fully synthetic might be the only option, something I have always been completely against but frankly it would be better than the current option. 

That was freezing cold, good effort by two sides. No team did anywhere enough to merit a win.  I think that's one of the worst entertaining games I've been to in a long time. Plenty of  effort, chasing, tackles, hump forward football, and good battling commitment. Hee haw excitable entertainment I'm afraid. The only action was the unpredictable ref who wanted to be centre of attention yet failed to give us a blatant penalty or give Accies a stone waller hand ball penalty.  Shut out is a good sign and pleased to see Joe bed more into a centre half pairing with Ando.

Edited by Dave H

Thomson looks good when he gets on the ball, shame the rest of them didn't play with his drive and determination.

Still not convinced about Wotherspoon being in the middle.

Spooner had glimpses of excellent football. Although he did have off points during the game. Didn't think Spooner was helped out by Muzz today as he looked a little out of touch, under the weather.

yeah we didnt create much but i thought we dominated from start to finish. baffled that folk dont think we deserved to win the fact we did not time waste and attempted to play football does it for me. the pitch was a disaster and we did well to pass the ball about like we did. Maccas touches were sublime . Spoonys trickery was a joy to watch turning the defenders inside out and young Thomson struck fear into the Accies defence whenever he ran at them and Mannus was even commanding his box at crosses.

we complain that refs are too strict well if we had anyone else then i think they would have been lucky to have 9men on the park. imagine watching that Accies every week!

New to the forum but I found this trying to gauge the general feeling of the fans about the recent performances. 

I am a football fan but have started to attend saints games with my 8 year son who is football crazy. 

so I can only say what I have seen for the games from celtic at home.

Firstly after 4/5 games I can predict the team formation and tactics on the walk to the game. Any reasonable manager is going to be able to work with his team all weak on a game plan, and it shows. Hoof and hope would describe 70% of passes made in your/our own half. 

Also some of the players just don't suit the position they are asked to play. Big slow players playing full back, long balls to strikers who look better with a ball to there feet. 

So too sum up, players being asked to play a formation and style that doesn't suit. Needs to improve and the give some other players a chance when form and moral is poor. 

Oh the guy playing right midfield today tried his heart out. Good effort

Edited by bromdass

Today has got to be one of the least entertaining games I've ever witnessed during my time watching saints, Seeing a lot of people saying we should have had a penalty from a flicked header towards goal from Sutton, Agree it was a stone waller , However we got away with one in the first half when the ball struck Easton in the arm inside the box so that evens itself out. Thought Joe was outstanding at CH today, Wee Thomson out on the right was absolutely fantastic as well. Never scared to take his man on and had a brilliant work rate from start to finish looked a little nervy earliyon but really grew into the game. Sutton was very unlucky late on with the header that was brilliantly cleared off the line, We really needed to put an end to the goal drought today can't see us scoring away at that dump in the east of Glasgow next weekend, Potentially going into the semi without a goal in 6 isn't best for confidence then again, we've been written off through in Glasgow before and came away with a result, earlier this season springs to mind! Let's hope we can get something from next week though, We go again! 

The fact that our pitch is historically always fairly bad though surely would suggest it could do with more recovery time? 

Even if the grass is still growing the turf in general is still being cut up and damaged and with Forfar down the road doing the job just now for the U20s why not keep them there all season? 

I agree fully synthetic might be the only option, something I have always been completely against but frankly it would be better than the current option. 

I thought we had one of the best pitches in Scotland for the best part of 15 years. It's no coincidence that it's been terrible since the under soil heating was installed. I remember them digging drainage trenches mid season once to try and cure the problem and the pitch has been up at least twice over the last decade with no solution being found. 

Can't help but feel the USH has messed with the natural drainage of the park in a way that can't be sorted

I thought we had one of the best pitches in Scotland for the best part of 15 years. It's no coincidence that it's been terrible since the under soil heating was installed. I remember them digging drainage trenches mid season once to try and cure the problem and the pitch has been up at least twice over the last decade with no solution being found. 

Can't help but feel the USH has messed with the natural drainage of the park in a way that can't be sorted

Just as side issue but I watched the start of the Sheffield Wed game today and their new £1.6M pitch did not look to clever, on the TV anyway,      

I agree definitily that the installation of the USH caused these problems. The point I'm trying to make is, considering we have these problems, why don't we give the pitch more of a chance to recover rather than overloading it with u20 games? 

How we managed to score in every bloody game this season for 4 months then fail to score in 5 in a row is beyond me. At least Hearts and Celtic we created a tonne of chances but today wasn't great. 

Much better defensively with Joe looking really composed. Spoony had a good first half. Thomson had another positive game and Maclean, without being threatening himself, played some terrific link football. His first touch is different class on that pitch.

Other than that, was pretty glum affair. We're struggling for creativity just now. The pitch isn't helping but then again both teams have to play on it.

Just as side issue but I watched the start of the Sheffield Wed game today and their new £1.6M pitch did not look to clever, on the TV anyway,      

Valid point, even some of the EPL pitches are a (relative) mess. That's with less harsh weather and 2-5C warmer weather plus bigger ground staff budget including grow lights at the bigger clubs. 

It makes sense for us to go artificial. Whilst it would mark an end of us using players with iffy knees, it could help with muscle strains caused by heavy wet pitches. 

It would also bring in a valuable additional income stream and would save us paying other clubs to host our kids games etc. Given how much we must have spent on pitch repairs over the past decade, it seems like a logical step.