St. Johnstone v Hamilton Accademical - Saturday 16th January 2016

Markinch Saint

Can someone please tell me the name of the referee who gave this game the go ahead?  I'm guessing it was that moronic halfwit I was forced to watch for 90+ minutes allowing Hamilton to assault our players at every available opportunity and then rounding things off by ignoring a blatant handball when Sutton put in a decent header in the last few minutes.  

Thought Thomson put in a decent shift once he found his feet but could someone tell Mannus that he should only hoof the ball down the park when he has no other option rather than making it his default preference.

It was a shocking game of football. The past few weeks we have looked like a poor pub team!  We lack urgency especially at throw ins and corners. The teams body language at corners suggests no one expects to score! I was so looking forward to the semi final, now I'm dreading it. New blood needed and fast. 

Can someone please tell me the name of the referee who gave this game the go ahead?  I'm guessing it was that moronic halfwit I was forced to watch for 90+ minutes allowing Hamilton to assault our players at every available opportunity and then rounding things off by ignoring a blatant handball when Sutton put in a decent header in the last few minutes.  

Thought Thomson put in a decent shift once he found his feet but could someone tell Mannus that he should only hoof the ball down the park when he has no other option rather than making it his default preference.

agree completely, probably the most inept performance from an official that I've seen all season.  He had an opportunity to assert his authority early on but didnt

Spooner had glimpses of excellent football. Although he did have off points during the game. Didn't think Spooner was helped out by Muzz today as he looked a little out of touch, under the weather.

Yeah he did, but he can be absolutely magnificent and do something no one else in the team can and at the same time he is just as likely to make an arse of things and end up costing us. I think he is better out wide or further up the pitch.

We played well in patches, just missing that bit of luck that's been missing in the last few matches. We will come good again though. 

I get more anticipation when Thomson gets the ball than I ever did with MOH.  

It's like night and day.  The young lad already knows what he wants to do with the ball, Mikey needed a week to think about it.  

Joe looks a stick on for cb now.  Just hope that's the end of our injuries at the back. 

Thought spoony played really well but a lack of concentration in the second half with a couple of loose balls might of cost us on another day. 

I think we're exactly where deserve to be in the top 6.  Let's push on for Europe again and maybe a League cup final if we're lucky.  

Still magic times being a Sainteeeeee!!!!

Poor game to be honest, but I'm not going to indulge in the knee jerk reactions that some have on here.  Cummins is still short of match fitness but will make a big difference when he gets that back.  Macca played well in difficult circumstances, getting kicked up in the air by a gorilla of a centre back with no protection from the ref.  Thomson looks a decent prospect and I felt sorry for him in the first half when the rest of the team seemed reluctant to give him the ball (Anderson in particular on one occasion when it was the most obvious 10 yard pass that was on). Spoony had some great touches in the first half, although I'm yet to be convinced by him in the middle.  Maybe a run of games in there would make a difference though. The problem now is that with the lack of goals we want to walk the ball into the net.

The most positive thing today was the clean sheet and the performance of Shaughnessy at CB.  He surely must stay there now.

Every year I bleat on about the same thing- the pitches go downhill and so does our form.

There was absolutely no chance of a good game of football on that surface. It's a disgrace.

Thought Spoony played well and Thomson showed glimpses of quality, aswell as plenty of graft. The main positive for me though is Joe the Throw. I've not seen the guy have a bad game in a Saints shirt. He wins almost everything in the air near him, his positioning is spot on, he's got pace and the lad rarely wastes the ball. I think he's a cracking signing and I don't mind if he plays at full back or in the middle.

Think we are in need of Tommys usual rabbit out the hat January signing. A return for Dunne and Swanson would be awesome! 

If Allan Preston has said we are headed for the play off position then that's it for me, no point going to another game all season.

Totally mis-quoted by someone further up the thread. He said the play off place was between pretty much all the teams right up to Saints in 4th.....and he's probably right.

Edited by Papa Jack

Totally mis-quoted by someone further up the thread. He said the play off place was between pretty much all the teams right up to Saints in 4th.....and he's probably right.

Agreed. That's exactly what he said. He said that Dundee United put another nail in their coffin by getting beat but the rest of the league is tight. Mentioned practically every team then said "even St Johnstone sitting in fourth with 32. That's only 8 points between 11th and 4th in the league. Three games."

And he's right. Saints are three defeats away from the relegation zone. Which is frightening when you think of the form early season and talk of pushing Aberdeen for 2nd place. 

had the misfortune to listen to preston yesterday

was negative from  start to finnish

He was right though, it was garbage. Biscuits has praised us to the hilt when we were playing well and he was firmly on the bandwagon that IF we kept playing like we were and scoring goals, we were top 3 contenders. On what he watched yesterday, he rightly suggested that Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts were now a class above the rest and based on the performance yesterday and the league standings, Saints are now included in the battle for the relegation play offs.

Agreed. That's exactly what he said. He said that Dundee United put another nail in their coffin by getting beat but the rest of the league is tight. Mentioned practically every team then said "even St Johnstone sitting in fourth with 32. That's only 8 points between 11th and 4th in the league. Three games."

And he's right. Saints are three defeats away from the relegation zone. Which is frightening when you think of the form early season and talk of pushing Aberdeen for 2nd place. 

But it isn't 3 games. It's impossible to be sitting 11th in 3 games.  Just look at the form table of the last 6 game, although we are down the bottom how many teams have picked up 9 points more than is over 6 games.....

But it isn't 3 games. It's impossible to be sitting 11th in 3 games.  Just look at the form table of the last 6 game, although we are down the bottom how many teams have picked up 9 points more than is over 6 games.....

You are absolutely right, quite apart from anything else it is statistically impossible for 6 teams to pass us in 3 games. 

yeah,not all of the bottom 6 can win 3 games as they have to play each other but unless we start winning we will slip out of top 6.

you're right. I was over thinking it. But, a decent run of form from a team lower down and if saints continue this slump it'll be shyte. Not trying to come across all doom and gloom. They're one win away from a decent run again. 

had the misfortune to listen to preston yesterday

was negative from  start to finnish

Be pissed off he got dragged away from Tynie to come to Perth, maybe up with the agent biscuits hat on and aligned with his spot of radio work, before the game he had us nailed on top six, but as above said play off place from 4th to eleven, and after playing Celtic next week and missing a league game for the cup game and Aberdeen the week after that, we could be dragged right into the mix, aye maybe got a game in hand or so, but the team look a patch on a few weeks ago at the moment. But that's the joy of watching saints, when you think they are down and out they come back and surprise us, so all set up for us turning the Hibs over big style!

While it can be easy to get carried away and start looking at the play off position, it's quite important to remember that we have only played three league matches since the 13th December. We have drawn two of them and lost one of them, keeping two clean sheets. It feels a lot worse than that because we haven't scored goals.

It has been a pretty horrible few weeks with the weather destroying the McDiarmid Park pitch, games getting postponed and players getting injured. It really has absolutely winded us. It can only get better and we haven't become a bad team over night. We look a bit stronger at the back, the injured players are getting back to fitness and we've got a couple of games coming up against teams who actually like to play football, instead of trying to stop the opposition playing (easier to stop than to create according to the great Jackie Mac) Hopefully decent surfaces at Celtic Park and Tynecastle too. 

Saw a league table of fouls on Twitter last week and I think Hearts, Kilmarnock and Hamilton were top three for most committed fouls. We were bottom of that league table. We have struggled massively against the physicality of these teams. It makes me laugh when fans of other teams say we are a physical team who like to stop the opposition playing football. Hamilton literally did nothing but try to stop our players from playing yesterday. Every time the ball went near Cummins he had a defender all over him. 

Strangely looking forward to next two games knowing the two teams we are playing won't play like that.