St.johnstone V Ross County, Saturday Tea Time, 15/3/14

Dr Christmas Jones

Watch out for next change Wotherspoon and O'Halloran turn to start

anyone willing to bet against it

If we are going to get win after win we need continuity not rotation.

Agreed, you have to be a decent team to be able to roate your squad and get a consistency in performance. Would say that was probably our worst performance of the season and it was quite honestly embarrassing that it was on live tv! What I would do for us to have some bite in midfield. Yes the whole team with the exception of ando were awful but our Achilles heal is undoubtedly that disaster of a midfield. Mclean's strength as a player is his link up play but last night we were using him like he was a target man. We've all wondered why May's not been scoring but look how much he's been pulled back up the pitch to support the non- existent midfield. For a big guy McDonald has no physicality about him, no ability to play a killer pass and slow at moving the ball forward. Nigel had a poor game and he continues to let the ball drift about 10yards away from him after his first touch. I've never seen a saints team who have no ability to counter attack it takes us an age to get forward! Our striking options are a worry too. What is the point in signing these journeymen who are passed it and a waste of a wage. I've never known a man to actually look smaller when he jumps for a ball. I'd much rather see us bring Kane back and give him a chance.

We can't kid ourselves on that this was a one off performance. We beat Raith who had been in really poor form. We did pretty well against United but on another day they would have taken those good chances they had and probably got one of their pen shouts and we all witnessed the disaster that was last night. There's a real need for us to get a grip ahead of this semi final, players should be fighting to prove they deserve a starting shirt for the game instead of being allowed to just turn up

That was pretty dire. A lot of people over-reacting though. If we beat Aberdeen and Utd/Albion/Sevco there'll be people calling for Tommy Wright to be canonized.

If May's overhead kick had gone in and/or the goal had been given at the end this thread would look a lot different. We're still top 6, got a cup semi to look forward to, and a homegrown player in the top scorers list. Not having any of this 'I'm not going back' pish, it wasn't so long ago we were losing in this manner to the likes of Clyde.

If this and if that and if your Granny had balls she would be your Granda. We are now a top 6 team and we should play like a top 6 team. I do not mind losing if we lose trying to play footbal and go down fighting. I think you have lost the plot if you think all is well and we are over reacting.

How dare you? Are you not aware Chris is completely above reproach on this forum because some people are on a first name basis with him?

I am sure Jeanfield & Kinnoull pitches are better than ours.

We have probably had the mildest & wettest winter in history with no snow & little frost & there are huge bald patches all over the pitch.

Was the pitch not relayed at the cost of over £100k not that long ago ?.

We were poor in every department and every area in an attacking sense last night. Dunne and McDonald completely lost the battle in midfield but much like when Hibs visited Perth in September, County played a narrow four so were able to overrun us in that area and then get the full backs, especially the left back pushing on. For all the pitch is poor, County managed to pass it alright, whereas our passing was very poor. Croft and Hasselbaink got absolutely nothing out of the full backs and Wotherspoon did no better. May at least got a modicum of joy against the impressive Cikos. Folk can question whether taking Croft off was right or wrong but for me, he looked like he didn't have a clue how he was going to get past the left back. May through the middle was probably as quiet as he's ever been in a home match and MacLean looked like a guy who'd been out for months, wasn't his usual self at all.

So for all the criticism of the manager, the players weren't good enough last night either.

Something that was touched upon last night was when somebody asked how often we come back after losing the first goal. It was pointed out we've done it twice this season but worth looking at the numbers in black and white. Since May 2013, we've lost the first goal in a match on 16 occasions and not only have we gone on to lose the match 14 times (drawing the other couple), we've only scored 6 goals in reply.

Last season, although we only won once after going behind in the league (against Celtic, bizarrely enough) we at least showed in games like against United, Inverness etc... that we had the ability to fight back and take a point, something which seems to be sadly lacking this season. Indeed in the one league match where we managed it, we benefited from a poor piece of goalkeeping by Paul Gallacher of Partick Thistle.

Yesterday for me really highlighted the issue though as after going behind there was almost a sense of panic and the team started trying to force everything, attempting to squeeze passes through their defence when really we should have been holding onto the ball and looking for a gap, as we undoubtedly would have done if we weren't behind. I don't know what Motherwell are doing right but they have a really strong record after falling behind. Maybe worth the management having a look at the games in which they've managed it?

Another more general issue is our lack of goals but I think the most alarming concern at the moment has to be the fact we appear a beaten side if we fall a goal behind. Of course, it should be noted we have an outstanding record when scoring first but much like the (previous) home/away form discrepancy, that just makes the negative aspect all the more frustrating.

Having watched again,it's a really soft goal to lose.Croft is unlucky that he slipped,but thought he rushed in a bit,Dunne doesn't track the runner,Miller is taken right out by one touch because he mistimed his challenge,and Mannus could've done better imo.Can't find anything to apportion blame to McDonald,but will keep trying

Having watched again,it's a really soft goal to lose.Croft is unlucky that he slipped,but thought he rushed in a bit,Dunne doesn't track the runner,Miller is taken right out by one touch because he mistimed his challenge,and Mannus could've done better imo.Can't find anything to apportion blame to McDonald,but will keep trying

Boooooooo it's a conspiracy

Linesman must have been to specsavers to see that hand ball from where he was.

At the game the ref took a while before he awarded the goal.If the linesman had his flag up surely the ref would have seen it and disallowed the goal.

Did they get the message from the tv that there was a hand ball & then the linesman put the flag up to cover themselves.

Is there anyone in Main stand that saw the time scale for the linesman putting the flag up ?.

ask rik2304 he will keep you right