Iconic Goals

Edstar101

Week in week out we see many 'great' goals due to the coverage afforded to football from all countries. However, some goals, either due to their nature or perhaps the occasions are truly iconic. A simple description and everybody knows exactly the goal you are referring too...whether it is a description of the goal or just a mention of the teams that were playing.

For example

• Van Basten volley
  • Roberto Carlos Free Kick
  • Gasgoigne v Scotland

or simply

• Gemmill

I bet as you read them, you are replaying the goals in your mind and know exactly the four goals referred to.

Others?

Frazer Wright v Rosenborg

Stevie May v Rosenborg

Paul Kane v Dundee 'The Europe Goal'

Alan Preston v Hearts. League Cup semi at Easter Road

Daniel McBreen v RFC RIP at Hampden. The goal that had me believing we would finally do it. For a few minutes!

I bought my father an authanticated framed picture of "that" goal (signed by Erchie himself) one X-mas. It is taken just as he has lifted his foot to shoot after beating five dutch masters and the photographer being behind the goal. The plethora of quality players in the background is unbelieveable, Neeskens, Cruyff, Dalglish, Souness and many more. One day it will be passed on to one of my two boys. I am sure on that very sad day they will be vying for grandad's picture and nothing much else he posseses. Good luck to who wins the toss lads.  

• 2 weeks later...