Steven Anderson - An Appreciation

Jimmy Wallace

I wish to put on public record my sincere apologies to Ando for all of the negative statements I have made on this forum about his ability as a footballer over many years.

You sir are a Saints legend.

Good man!

Ando has been one of the rare players in football who has continued to get better year after year.  It's actually remarkable to think he's only 28 too.  The first goal on Saturday couldn't have been scored by a better player in my opinion, for all he has given to Saints over the years, and the disasters he has suffered.  He was instrumental in the opening 20 minute disaster against Motherwell in THAT semi-final, but what a way to make amends for previous disappointments.  

I hope he is at Saints for another 10 years.

Ando has been one of the rare players in football who has continued to get better year after year.  It's actually remarkable to think he's only 28 too.  The first goal on Saturday couldn't have been scored by a better player in my opinion, for all he has given to Saints over the years, and the disasters he has suffered.  He was instrumental in the opening 20 minute disaster against Motherwell in THAT semi-final, but what a way to make amends for previous disappointments.  

Add the first goal against the Sheep at Tynie but you can probably count these gaffs on one hand over 10 years.

^^^^^^ Ando cetainly thinks about his game and improves year on year, bit like Steven Pressley, whose stature grew with each season he played and was not capped for the full Scotland team till late in his career.

It's kind of just occurred to me - Is Steven Anderson the most decorated player in St Johnstone's history?

I'll start small fry and work my way up

Challenge Cup Winner

First Division Winner

Six time (I think) semi finalist in either the Scottish or League Cup

Three top six finishes in a row in the Premiership

European campaigns 3 years in a row and started in the away game against Rosenborg, where we obviously won

Scottish Cup Finalist

Scottish Cup Winner, and scored the all important first goal.

If he extends his contract for more than a year (which I think he will), he'll likely break the all time appearance record at the club and is about to embark on his testimonial year.

I think he is you know!

Hard to believe the improvement in his heading in the opponents box in the last few months.For 9 and half years he seemed happy to close his eyes and let the ball clip off the side of his head,now his movement is much better,and he watches the ball onto his forehead,with a huge improvement in accuracy,not sure who's had a word,but long may it continue.

If he extends his contract for more than a year (which I think he will), he'll likely break the all time appearance record at the club and is about to embark on his testimonial year.

This got me thinking, Alan Main is the record holder with (apparently) 361 games. While Steven Anderson is (apparently) on 269 games. The figures sort of vary depending on where you look, but the saints history blog mentions Mains appearances and the official site shows Andersons. If those are correct (I have no idea if they are) then thats less than 100 games to go. We play a minimum of 40 games a season in the Premiership, so he's only really two and a half seasons away

This got me thinking, Alan Main is the record holder with (apparently) 361 games. While Steven Anderson is (apparently) on 269 games. The figures sort of vary depending on where you look, but the saints history blog mentions Mains appearances and the official site shows Andersons. If those are correct (I have no idea if they are) then thats less than 100 games to go. We play a minimum of 40 games a season in the Premiership, so he's only really two and a half seasons away

Anderson has made 297 appearances for Saints, or at least I think he has. 269 starts and 28 sub appearances according to the club's stats man.

Anderson has made 297 appearances for Saints, or at least I think he has. 269 starts and 28 sub appearances according to the club's stats man.

Yeah I knew he'd break 300 next season but had no idea how close he was. Didn't trust wikipedia, soccerbase or transfermarkt (rightly, so it turns out), and the official site had the highest total. Funnily enough the official site still has Main as one appearance higher than Rutherford "and counting" :lol:

Anyway, in that case he's only 65 away. So he'll break it next season unless he suffers a major injury

Yeah I knew he'd break 300 next season but had no idea how close he was. Didn't trust wikipedia, soccerbase or transfermarkt (rightly, so it turns out), and the official site had the highest total. Funnily enough the official site still has Main as one appearance higher than Rutherford "and counting" :LAUGH OUT LOUD:

Anyway, in that case he's only 65 away. So he'll break it next season unless he suffers a major injury

Can't see us playing 66 games in a season really  :wink: