James Mcfadden Anyone?

saintee4life

I don't think anyone doubted his ability nor his commitment. The worry is his game fitness! He certainly looks fit, trim, not like Lee Croft but as someone who has a history of injury.

Certainly a gamble for a team like Saints who have lost their two main strikers.

All that said if he gave only 10 minutes and scored quality goals like yesterday he'd get my vote!

Must admit,I wasn`t impressed when I saw him play for Well last season & thought if he can`t turn it on for his boyhood team then there was little hope of him doing it for Saints. It looks like I was wrong & he seems to enjoy being with Saints & playing for us.

Hi talent and ability is there for all too see. However, the most impressive thing for me in the last 3 home games is the transformation in some of our other attacking players since he's become involved. O'Halloran is a different player. He now has purpose, is making direct runs and is being played in behind the defence time after time. BF (Before Faddy) he had no purpose, aimlessly meandering from one side of the pitch to the other. Lee Croft is another one - all of a sudden he's making direct runs inside the full back knowing that we can find him with a through ball. Some of our attacking play at times (even when Faddy isn't involved) has been absolutely superb. Incisive, quick, threatening and dangerous. Perfect counter-attacking play. I'm just not sure how we manage to switch that style to one that can retain the ball better and take pressure off our own defenders for some sustained periods.  

Hi talent and ability is there for all too see. However, the most impressive thing for me in the last 3 home games is the transformation in some of our other attacking players since he's become involved. O'Halloran is a different player. He now has purpose, is making direct runs and is being played in behind the defence time after time. BF (Before Faddy) he had no purpose, aimlessly meandering from one side of the pitch to the other. Lee Croft is another one - all of a sudden he's making direct runs inside the full back knowing that we can find him with a through ball. Some of our attacking play at times (even when Faddy isn't involved) has been absolutely superb. Incisive, quick, threatening and dangerous. Perfect counter-attacking play. I'm just not sure how we manage to switch that style to one that can retain the ball better and take pressure off our own defenders for some sustained periods.  

Agree with that. It's been night and day compared to dundee, killie at home, ict, dundee utd, rangers away. Good to watch again.

Hi talent and ability is there for all too see. However, the most impressive thing for me in the last 3 home games is the transformation in some of our other attacking players since he's become involved. O'Halloran is a different player. He now has purpose, is making direct runs and is being played in behind the defence time after time. BF (Before Faddy) he had no purpose, aimlessly meandering from one side of the pitch to the other. Lee Croft is another one - all of a sudden he's making direct runs inside the full back knowing that we can find him with a through ball. Some of our attacking play at times (even when Faddy isn't involved) has been absolutely superb. Incisive, quick, threatening and dangerous. Perfect counter-attacking play. I'm just not sure how we manage to switch that style to one that can retain the ball better and take pressure off our own defenders for some sustained periods.

You're right broon, as far as O'Halloran goes I think it's him scoring a few goals that given him greater confidence and he can go and express himself more and play with more freedom. Faddy will always pick out a runner with defence splitting passes

• 1 month later...

He'd probably fit in as a substitute striker, which was his role yesterday (and a role in which he did pretty well during his short time on the pitch). However, it was too little and too late.

Aye, but he got the ball every time thereby starving O'Halloran of the opportunity to affect the game. May have been the same outcome.

I think he's a good player to have but I don't think we should be trying to fit around him. I wasn't happy to see him come on against Motherwell. I didn't think we had missed him in his absence and I thought the game was crying out for MOH, not Faddy. Nothing against him, I've liked him a lot at times but I would rather see several other midfielders get their chance in what is already a fight for places.

Davidson, Millar, Wotherspoon, O'Halloran, Swanson, Lappin and Croft would all get my pick ahead of McFadden. Not necessarily because they're better, I've rarely seen a player with more skill play for us, but because I think they fit what we want better.