Motherwell V Saints. Sat. 31/1/15

The ghost of Jim Morton

Wish I was still young enough to get back into Refereeing - I would certainly recommend it to someone struggling to find work -when I retired from it many moons ago you were getting £30 and upwards a game and that was at Sunday league level.

If yer thick skinned and able to talk away -you will survive and progress.

I don't dispute that's a high wage but I dispute that they don't earn it. I personally wouldn't want to spend 2 hours of my working life being hounded and insulted by grown men with anger issues and if I was going to I'd want a high wage for it. It's nice for us to be able to sit in a football stand and shout abuse at someone trying to do their job, different story when you are on the recieving end.

Perhaps you should temporarily employ someone to follow you around at your workplace berating you for every mistake you make, many of them subjective, and see if it makes up for a higher pay packet.

Wish I was still young enough to get back into Refereeing - I would certainly recommend it to someone struggling to find work -when I retired from it many moons ago you were getting £30 and upwards a game and that was at Sunday league level.

If yer thick skinned and able to talk away -you will survive and progress.

I'm not sure it's quite as easy as walking into a match and refereeing for £1000 a game. I went to school with a guy called Gavin Harris and he had set his sights on being a referee from the age of 16, used to sit next to him in English class and he'd speak about the weekend training he had to go through and so on, he started doing 2nd assistant duties around 5 years ago and occasionally i'll see he is the linesman or fourth official and that's after 13 years of training and studying to get the qualifications required. Never seen him as the match referee yet and that's after around 200 professional games as the assistant.

Not as easy a job as some think and it irritates me when people think so.

Edited by craiginasaintsstrip

That's a fair point, but is it so difficult to become a top quality referee because of the level of competition or because the selection and promotion process is random and pays little regard to skill?

Seriously, how do you account for Collum? By any measure - even compared to his maligned contemporaries - he's widely acknowledged among fans to be shocking. Yet he still gets the biggest games.

Edited by Brogan

The main reasons that few make it to the top level as a referee in Scotland are that the small top division does not require many bodies for the 6 games per week and those that do make it will do their best to keep it as a closed shop.

Why aren't referees ever seen to be disciplined for poor performances as they are in England?

Craig, maybe your friend just hasn't got what it takes (whatever that is) as Andrew Dallas has reached the top level up here in 10 years.

Just seen the prices for  the game. Adult and two 12 year olds.. £47  (FORTY SEVEN POUNDS.) That's an utter disgrace. £15 at McD..  £32 more expensive. Also £16 for OAPs and £23 for the rest of us. Nae wonder  folk dinnae  cannae afford to go to fitba and  nae wonder some clubs crowds are plummeting..

Referees are highly paid in this country I think youl find??? And the west coast bias does exist,if you cant see it you are blind.

A west coast bias, really? Do Motherwell get more decisins than St Johnstone? Where does the west coast bias end, cumbernauld mabye? Does this bias only affect the SPFL? What if Morton play Forfar? What happens when two west coast teams play each other? Is it only the Refs who are in on it? Why would players join east coast teams if this is widley known?

Just seen the prices for  the game. Adult and two 12 year olds.. £47  (FORTY SEVEN POUNDS.) That's an utter disgrace. £15 at McD..  £32 more expensive. Also £16 for OAPs and £23 for the rest of us. Nae wonder  folk dinnae  cannae afford to go to fitba and  nae wonder some clubs crowds are plummeting..

Interesting to see if that's for the home support aswell....

Just seen the prices for the game. Adult and two 12 year olds.. £47 (FORTY SEVEN POUNDS.) That's an utter disgrace. £15 at McD.. £32 more expensive. Also £16 for OAPs and £23 for the rest of us. Nae wonder folk dinnae cannae afford to

go to fitba and nae wonder some clubs crowds are plummeting..

Time for the topic to be aired on "Off the ball"

Is Tam still on it ?

The main reasons that few make it to the top level as a referee in Scotland are that the small top division does not require many bodies for the 6 games per week and those that do make it will do their best to keep it as a closed shop.

Why aren't referees ever seen to be disciplined for poor performances as they are in England?

Craig, maybe your friend just hasn't got what it takes (whatever that is) as Andrew Dallas has reached the top level up here in 10 years.

Nadir Ctifti had him by the throat once so i'd say he's made it :mrgreen:

According to Motherwell website a family ticket can be purchased for 1 X Adult + 1 Juvenile for a price of £29.

The entry price being charged is obviously not for the East stand, as it is shown to be cheaper.

Just noticed Saints fans will be in the old ramshackle wooden Main stand.

Edited by HOODLUM65

If I posted their discriminatory policy regarding disabled fans on here you'd be appalled at that too.

They are alone in Scotland in upholding a policy based on personal prejudice.