Celtic Game - 14Th Feb

fazman1977

What a change from last week, even although beaten today, if had played like that last week would still be in the cup. What a difference with Midge being back in the middle.

Don't get the whole Kane needs to bulk up thing, always looked a pretty solid type lad, think the difference at this level he doesn't always want to pull the trigger as much as on the lower leagues/development league when playing with the older heads in the first team, but for being the lightweight some are making out he doesn't half win a lot of balls by getting in about defenders, going to be a top player.

Also Croft does a power of work and doesn't get dragged into the middle like other players that are put out there, just wish he had that extra yard that he had in his first spell.

Seeing those arses from my home town going to their one game a season, and they are all "big celtic supporters", makes me realise what a special team we support and these guys will never know the feeling of what we had on the 17th May!!

Exactly.  For his build he doesnae half win a lot of balls in the air, considering the centre halves he was up against today.  So close in first half.

Let ourselves down badly again. Piss poor defending. Mannus kept the half time score only at 1 with great saves, surprised he isn't getting more praise on here. Improved second half but soft defending for their 2nd although I thought after a booking the game needs restarted by the whistle? They took it fast that led direct to the goal. Great team effort last 20 minutes Pitty the damage was done.

I totally agree with this. People keep going on about how well we played but you get nothing for a good performance and we are on a very poor run just now. Since the turn of the year we have 1 win in 8 games. 5 points out of 21 in the league and we are out of the cup to lower league opposition. Not good enough by any team in the leagues standards.

I totally agree with this. People keep going on about how well we played but you get nothing for a good performance and we are on a very poor run just now. Since the turn of the year we have 1 win in 8 games. 5 points out of 21 in the league and we are out of the cup to lower league opposition. Not good enough by any team in the leagues standards.

My thoughts as well but we have to take some hope from todays display.

Having said that I think we sit of teams too much & are too negative.

We looked fragile at central defence but enough positives to give us a little hope. Midge took 20 mins to find the pace of the game but once we went two in midfield we never looked back. Thought we pressed and played with pace and intensity.

Was Lappins best game for a while, Millar was excellent and Kane although he missed a couple he must be a nightmare to play against. Wins lots of the ball and very quick over short distances meaning he hassles defenders well. Also thought he competed well physically against the two biggest defenders in the league. Impressive.

Two good saves from Gordon sealed it for them but I was actually impressed by celtic. Nice football.

Celtic players and fans were disgusting but I'll still support them in Europe. Doesnt mean I'll take too much joy from it though.

Fully agree with those saying about Deila's cringey wee fan thing, Saints should have given the polis a wee bribe to get it stopped, they already seem to expect bedlam at those games and his rabble rousing could have sent the malleable great unwashed into a delirious riot. Or something like that.

Could we ever see Kane and MOH upfront with MacLean either sitting just behind or just in front? Or would having three players north of halfway leave us suicidally exposed elsewhere?

Spoony does however have the grand total of 6 assists in his time here. 50 appearances last season 1 goal 5 assists. 23 appearances so far this season 0 goals 1 assist. I can't say I'm surprised that one of our better performances came without him

You make out like 6 assists is bad. Remember an actual assist means the striker had to score, not screw it up like we've been doing all season. Have a look here

http://terracepodcast.net/misc/2014/5/15/final-true-assist-table

Last season he was the most creative in the league. This season he's been up and down but so has the whole team.

Edited by Broon

When walking out of the ground a little boy, about 8-9 years old, was saying to his dad, "That was really good dad. We scored against the best team in Scotland we must be good as well."

A life long Saints supporter in the making. (Tried to put S A I N T Y but predictive text kept putting in Sanity. Don't think the two go together.)

Dont feel nearly as bad as last week,despite some atrocious defending.Nice to see Midge back.( its not so long ago he was booed ONTO the park at McD)

Croft was busy and against lesser teams that performance would have been fruitful.So bad for morale slipping out of the top 6 but can be rectified.

Just an aside.

The "great" Celtic support were poor compared to the Luzern fans when they were over here. Much better noise from them and there were a lot less of them

Hard to imagine who could visit us who'd be better than those Luzern fans. This thing about the best fans in the world is a joke based on subjective parochiality (doubt that's a word, but it works) :)

As the old saying goes it's a funny old game. When playing a team with superior players they are expected to win and we hope for the best. It will be down to commitment, attitude and team work, including the backing of the support if we are going to beat Celtic. These are the qualities which were missing recently. TW has to get them up for the game, the tactics have to be spot on and the players need to give 100%. The support need to continue to assist the players with their applause, chants and cheers (no place for booing or targeting individuals.) We have nothing to lose today and much to gain.

COYS

I got what I asked for. Just unfortunate we got nothing from the game. I hope TW and CD learn from this match that 1 up front does not work. Muzz going of was a blessing in disguise. If we can play two up against the best team in the league and almost get a result then we can do it against weaker teams. We have a lot to play for in the league so lets abandon this defensive negative football and go at teams this was what won us the Cup.

I too would like to see a front two of Kane and O'Halloran I believe this is our strike force of the near future. Hope TW sees this and gives it a go when the split comes.

As the old saying goes it's a funny old game. When playing a team with superior players they are expected to win and we hope for the best. It will be down to commitment, attitude and team work, including the backing of the support if we are going to beat Celtic. These are the qualities which were missing recently. TW has to get them up for the game, the tactics have to be spot on and the players need to give 100%. The support need to continue to assist the players with their applause, chants and cheers (no place for booing or targeting individuals.) We have nothing to lose today and much to gain.

COYS

I got what I asked for. Just unfortunate we got nothing from the game. I hope TW and CD learn from this match that 1 up front does not work. Muzz going of was a blessing in disguise. If we can play two up against the best team in the league and almost get a result then we can do it against weaker teams. We have a lot to play for in the league so lets abandon this defensive negative football and go at teams this was what won us the Cup.

I too would like to see a front two of Kane and O'Halloran I believe this is our strike force of the near future. Hope TW sees this and gives it a go when the split comes.

I also don't get this obsession RandomGuy has with Kane needing to bulk up before he could make it at this level. He played against the biggest defence he's ever likely to yesterday and was causing them all sorts of problems. He's also a bit better in the air than Stevie May was so has another aspect to his game.

On the Scobbie / Wright discussion. Scobbie was outstanding at centre half at the start of the season before he got injured but if we were to compare our record with Wright in the team vs Scobbie I think we all know what it would say. We just seem stronger with Wright in there. He wins everything in the air and his positioning is better than Scobbies which offsets his lack of pace. We were saying yesterday that Wright must be struggling as there's no other reason TW would continue to not play him.

I thought the ref maybe gave the foul against lappin in the build up to their second goal? He seemed to catch brown and knock him slightly off balance before maclean missed him and brown fell over.

I also thought Kane made a huge difference when he came on. Him and Macca closing down the Celtic back 4 and Biton stopped them being able to settle and build attacks. I'm surprised at people saying they don't think he's ready and looks weak. I thought he competed well and didn't look at all out of place against the strongest and biggest defence in the league by a mile, particularly VVD who is fooking massive.

Did anyone else see the absolute thundercunt of a Celtic supporter kicking the pensioner's car at the Crieff Road roundabout after the game? A wee old man and his wife sitting stationary whilst everyone crossed the road, only for this total zoomer to claim they tried to run over his equally cretinous 16 year old son and proceed to smash the car's number plate and grill. Vermin.

Did you notice that at the end of the game the wee eejit Deila struts up the middle of the pitch does his usual childish stuff with the Celtic supporters and finishes off with a McFadden get it up you arm pump ? We should all complain about being offended to the compliance officer and perhaps a two game ban might follow.

At least it meant I could get out of the car park quicker than ever!

On the way out of the ground I heard someone say that the above "was like a bunch of schoolgirls at a one direction concert". I had a good chuckle at that. :-)

Celtic players and fans were disgusting but I'll still support them in Europe. Doesnt mean I'll take too much joy from it though.

Fully agree with those saying about Deila's cringey wee fan thing, Saints should have given the polis a wee bribe to get it stopped, they already seem to expect bedlam at those games and his rabble rousing could have sent the malleable great unwashed into a delirious riot. Or something like that.

Could we ever see Kane and MOH upfront with MacLean either sitting just behind or just in front? Or would having three players north of halfway leave us suicidally exposed elsewhere?

LAUGH OUT LOUD if u cast your mind back to around 1995 you'll find Atilla Sekerlioglu used to do the same thing with the saints fans LAUGH OUT LOUD

I also don't get this obsession RandomGuy has with Kane needing to bulk up before he could make it at this level. He played against the biggest defence he's ever likely to yesterday and was causing them all sorts of problems. He's also a bit better in the air than Stevie May was so has another aspect to his game.

Hes good on the ball and better than May in the air. He has no idea how to shield the ball though, and either isnt strong enough or doesn't know how to use his strength when he's under pressure. He also has two free headers today, and missed the target twice.

Don't get me wrong he has talent, but hes closer to the May we seen before the loans than the one we saw after them.