What Has Gone Wrong...?

Edstar101

I've been thinking about this a lot and I think I can see why this season has been 'so bad'.. although many of us remember a good season not being relegated from the first division!

Lets start with what the board had said before the cup win. I'm pretty sure they said that there was a need to spend on infrastructure before the cup win, also that there was going to be a drop in squad numbers. To be quite honest it was kept pretty low key. That's when we had reached the final.

We win the cup, and the prize money is not anywhere near what we are expecting. We have to sign players in a matter of weeks for the European campaign and the beginning of the season, get the staff all holidays before the start of the next season and get all up to fitness. Its quite a tall order if you think about it. No forthcoming offers for any players and we are hopeful of keeping our prize goalscorer for the next season, no need to sign an new striker.

Roll on 6 weeks and we are at an empasse. Our top striker wants almost 4 times the top of the wage structure that the club has as a wage and we cant afford that.. on top of the resentment that it may cause in the dressing room. Its pretty obvious that this man is going elsewhere either now so we can make some money or in the next window.. and we will lose out. Make what we can because we need the money to ensure that the club recoups money spent over the years on that player.

Too late to get the other targets that the manager was looking at. They can't wait forever to find a deal. So we are left with what is still left. They have done ok but  what is left that we can pick up are journeymen that will do a job for the club but there is no passion, just a need to feed wives and kids. This club has relied on these journeymen for years so why should this year be any different?

As it is, the clubs main perogatives were infrastructure and staying in top 6. If these are achieved, then the club can take stock, plan and make sure next season will be better. TW has already signed the players he wants to keep and wishes to build a team around. If he can add who he sees as his targets as soon as possible then I would hope that next season will be more to the fans liking.

It may have been our last for a while but I would say that NOT being in Europe at the beginning of next season may actually help to ensure that next season we have a better team.

We've done ok so far... If we make top six fine... and onwards and upwards for next season.

I still believe.....

Improvements can always be made at every club, but the reaction of some on here is ridiculous.

Our manager lost his top scorer and a quality central midfielder. He also has a group of players where some are starting to age and many of them hit the biggest achievement they ever will in their career. A top six position is always going to be a good achievement for a club like ours.

After a few tweaks next season the gaffer will lead us to another good season next year.

I totally agree with Edstar.

We sold our striker and didn't really replace him.

With a bit of balls, the league was there to be won this year.....

I left the Final excited and eager for the new season: I've been to one game.....

This season feels like it has never really started.

I agree this season has been quite disappointing but to lose your feeling of excitement and eagerness after one game says more about your commitment than it does about any lack of ambition or ability within the club.

Title maybe, but to be in a similar position as ICT are just now was very achievable . Although survival is always the aim , top 3 or 4 was there (and may still be) for the taking.

a few years ago it was why arent we competing with hearts/hibs

then it was why arent we challenging murrawell

we've seen how that worked out!

now its ict,,,yawn

saints top 6 is an achievement - theres not enough of us to ever make a big difference moneywise.

accept the fact and be happy we are already overachieving.

a few years ago it was why arent we competing with hearts/hibs

then it was why arent we challenging murrawell

we've seen how that worked out!

now its ict,,,yawn

saints top 6 is an achievement - theres not enough of us to ever make a big difference moneywise.

accept the fact and be happy we are already overachieving.

What a lot of pish ! Have you seen the standard in scottish football ? We are 2 or 3 decent signings away from 3rd place , a half decent striker and a Dunne or Abeid in midfield and we'd be at least 10 points better off .

McFadden doesn't count as half decent by the way .

I've been thinking about this a lot and I think I can see why this season has been 'so bad'.. although many of us remember a good season not being relegated from the first division!

Lets start with what the board had said before the cup win. I'm pretty sure they said that there was a need to spend on infrastructure before the cup win, also that there was going to be a drop in squad numbers. To be quite honest it was kept pretty low key. That's when we had reached the final.

We win the cup, and the prize money is not anywhere near what we are expecting. We have to sign players in a matter of weeks for the European campaign and the beginning of the season, get the staff all holidays before the start of the next season and get all up to fitness. Its quite a tall order if you think about it. No forthcoming offers for any players and we are hopeful of keeping our prize goalscorer for the next season, no need to sign an new striker.

Roll on 6 weeks and we are at an empasse. Our top striker wants almost 4 times the top of the wage structure that the club has as a wage and we cant afford that.. on top of the resentment that it may cause in the dressing room. Its pretty obvious that this man is going elsewhere either now so we can make some money or in the next window.. and we will lose out. Make what we can because we need the money to ensure that the club recoups money spent over the years on that player.

Too late to get the other targets that the manager was looking at. They can't wait forever to find a deal. So we are left with what is still left. They have done ok but what is left that we can pick up are journeymen that will do a job for the club but there is no passion, just a need to feed wives and kids. This club has relied on these journeymen for years so why should this year be any different?

As it is, the clubs main perogatives were infrastructure and staying in top 6. If these are achieved, then the club can take stock, plan and make sure next season will be better. TW has already signed the players he wants to keep and wishes to build a team around. If he can add who he sees as his targets as soon as possible then I would hope that next season will be more to the fans liking.

It may have been our last for a while but I would say that NOT being in Europe at the beginning of next season may actually help to ensure that next season we have a better team.

We've done ok so far... If we make top six fine... and onwards and upwards for next season.

I still believe.....

That pretty much sums up the feeling of many saints fans. Mon the Sainteeees!!!!

What a lot of pish ! Have you seen the standard in scottish football ? We are 2 or 3 decent signings away from 3rd place , a half decent striker and a Dunne or Abeid in midfield and we'd be at least 10 points better off .

McFadden doesn't count as half decent by the way .

3rd place this season and then tumble down the league because weve overspent, or solid league finishes every year?

As much as id love to see saints one day qualify for the Champions league, id rather have guaranteed spl football every season.

those bad old days of going to muirton in the 2nd division, have hopefully gone for good.

fan base is everything these days in terms of finance, we're not a big club, will never be a big club, and have to accept limited success.

im not saying there arent improvements that could be made. but long term realism must prevail

3rd place this season and then tumble down the league because weve overspent, or solid league finishes every year?

As much as id love to see saints one day qualify for the Champions league, id rather have guaranteed spl football every season.

those bad old days of going to muirton in the 2nd division, have hopefully gone for good.

fan base is everything these days in terms of finance, we're not a big club, will never be a big club, and have to accept limited success.

im not saying there arent improvements that could be made. but long term realism must prevail

Whilst it's great to know our place, just sometimes with a wee bit of ambition, the wee guy can out smart and out fight his bigger foe.

I'm a believer that 10 years from now we could be where Dunfermline are, Partick could be in League 2 and Falkirk will be riding high. It's the nature of a provincial club.

So I think, that given our historic success last May, we could have better used that opportunity to attempt to get a wee bit more success. Nothing silly or break the bank but just an attempt to really communicate with the people of Perth and the shire. Prove to them that a visit to McDiarmid on a Saturday is good value for money.

Nobody has said we need to overspend . McFadden and Lappin have been brought in on decent wages . A couple of good signings on paper maybe , but have failed miserably in my eyes . These are the fine lines between failure and success .

And a big opportunity has been missed to increase that fan base. Despite the clubs best efforts at poor marketing, season ticket sales were up on the back of the cup win. So, what has happened? Most games have been dreary, frustrating pish. Will those new / returning ST holders renew next season??? Did they sign up to see Saints hope to go a goal up before settling into a holding pattern for the remaining 70 (or whatever) minutes? Did they expect to come along and see us shite ourselves against Hamilton, St Mirren, Partick (yes, those wealthy, huge fan base powerhouses of Scottish football)?

As they trudge up through the car park, are they thinking "hey, never mind, we used to be in the second division years ago. How dare we expect to be entertained playing against a shite Killie team when it could so easily have been Arbroath we were playing"

Edited by Edstar101

And a big opportunity has been missed to increase that fan base. Despite the clubs best efforts at poor marketing, season ticket sales were up on the back of the cup win. So, what has happened? Most games have been dreary, frustrating pish. Will those new / returning ST holders renew next season??? Did they sign up to see Saints hope to go a goal up before settling into a holding pattern for the remaining 70 (or whatever) minutes? Did they expect to come along and see us shite ourselves against Hamilton, St Mirren, Partick (yes, those wealthy, huge fan base powerhouses of Scottish football)?

As they trudge up through the car park, are they thinking "hey, never mind, we used to be in the second division years ago. How dare we expect to be entertained playing against a shite Killie team when it could so easily have been Arbroath we were playing"

Cannot speak for anyone else but I will be renewing my ST next season......mainly because if I did not I would go daft(er) on a Saturday or wotever day Saints play and get nagged at home !

Cannot speak for anyone else but I will be renewing my ST next season......mainly because if I did not I would go daft(er) on a Saturday or wotever day Saints play and get nagged at home !

Aye, but you are a 'core' supporter, as are most who post on here. I wasn't talking about the likes of you, I was talking about the 'new' fans we might have got

id love to know where the massive influx of nonattending fans are coming from? we already have have a 

proportionate number of fans compared to even the biggest cities. there are after all a finitie number of football fans regardless of any success or quality of football.

rather than us saying why didnt we beat killie, Killie fans might also be saying, remember when we used to pump wee teams like sjfc?!

id love to know where the massive influx of nonattending fans are coming from? we already have have a 

proportionate number of fans compared to even the biggest cities. there are after all a finitie number of football fans regardless of any success or quality of football.

rather than us saying why didnt we beat killie, Killie fans might also be saying, remember when we used to pump wee teams like sjfc?!

Who mentioned massive influx???? Any increase (which there was this season) is better than none and can be built on over the years. Did I say anywhere we could get 40000 a week????

the point is that saints as a top 6 spl team year in year out are far more likely to get the odd cup final or euro adventure.

thats is overachieving for a team the size of saints.

if anyone thinks with 2 or 3 signings we can win the title, they might as well think 4 or 5 wed win the CL

It's rather more about being entertained a bit more I feel rather than unrealistic aspirations.

the point is that saints as a top 6 spl team year in year out are far more likely to get the odd cup final or euro adventure.

thats is overachieving for a team the size of saints.

if anyone thinks with 2 or 3 signings we can win the title, they might as well think 4 or 5 wed win the CL

Depends on who we signed